Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Am I Going To Get Pregnant?!!!

abuglio

It is extremely important that you take your pill on time. If you arn't responsible enough to do that you should really look into the depo shot. The hormones start to wear off right at the 24 hour mark, and by taking your pill late there is a good chance that you can start ovulating. I know it will be difficult, but try not to worry or you can throw your period off that way. Just wait it out and if you are late take a Preggers test.

Some helpful hints:

Don't take the damn pills late!!!

If you are starting your BC pills for the first time ever, use a condom for the first three months you are sexually active. I know the doc says a month, but you are still at high risk for ovulating for the 1st three months.

If you miss a pill use backup no matter if it was one pill or three.

Don't eat grapfruit. Sounds crazy, I know, but it can cause your BC pills not to work!

i wouldn't necessarily say that the hormone runs out right at 24 hours...esp. if you've been taking BC pills for a while...so if it's only been 2 hours difference that you take it, and you don't forget to take it on time on a regular basis, then you should be fine...the rule of thumb is that if you even forget to take a pill, take it as soon as you remember it, then take the next pill at the regular time that day, and alternative methods of birth control aren't necessary (but I would just in case-but that's me...the literature says you don't have to)...BC pills can stay in your system for a while, esp. if you've been on them for a long time...it largely also depends on which brand you take, and what the half-life of that drug is in the body...of course, you may want to take a PG test to put your mind at ease in about 2 weeks or so...but do keep in mind that one instance that you would need a back-up method (condoms, etc) is if you are taking antibiotics, whether it be for a short-term infection or even for acne...antibiotics alter the way the estrogen is metabolized, resulting in less of it in your body...therefore the BC pills may not be as effective...

hope this helps

:heart:

I'm sorry momo, but you are incorrect. You could have been taking those pills for 15 years and they won't stay in your system any longer if you miss one than if you had been taking them for 1 year. However it is true that when you go off the pill there are changes that the hormones have made to your body that stay for a while, but the actual preventative part is up at 24 hours. So ladies be careful! Chance isn't something you want to mess around with.

You don't have anything to worry about if you missed your pill for two hours. The reason they say to take them at the same time every day (i.e. when you get up, at dinnertime, etc) is so you always remember to take them & don't end up skipping a day or two..its much easier to remember when you take them at the same time every day.

Seriously you should be fine. One question: what point in the cycle was the pill? It's more dangerous if you miss pills in the beginning of the cycle. I'm not sure why, but that's what it says in the literature they give you at the dr's office.

Originally posted by sinergygrl

I'm sorry momo, but you are incorrect. You could have been taking those pills for 15 years and they won't stay in your system any longer if you miss one than if you had been taking them for 1 year. However it is true that when you go off the pill there are changes that the hormones have made to your body that stay for a while, but the actual preventative part is up at 24 hours. So ladies be careful! Chance isn't something you want to mess around with.

i'm basing this on what i've learned and seen over the years in my clinical experience...you're right - it is important to take the pill every day...but i don't think abuglio should be alarmed because she was 2 hours late in taking her pill...the concentration of drug in her body should still be enough to work...as far as forgetting to take the pill and taking it as soon as a person remembers, along with the regular pill at the regular time that day...that is fairly common knowledge in the medical field...but remember that NO birth control method/device is 100% effective (besides abstinence)...some women get pregnant, even while taking their pills faithfully...some strengths just aren't strong enough for some women, or they metabolize the hormone more quickly than others, etc...i do have a couple interesting/funny stories concerning some patients i had and their BC pills...but don't want to bore ya'll w/ the details if your not interested...

:heart:

Originally posted by tastyt

Seriously you should be fine. One question: what point in the cycle was the pill? It's more dangerous if you miss pills in the beginning of the cycle. I'm not sure why, but that's what it says in the literature they give you at the dr's office.

the reason is because otherwise there is no hormone given at the beginning to help suppress ovulation...the chances of ovulation happening are higher when you skip days 1-14 vs. if you skip later in the month, when there is more hormone circulating in the system...remember that during the week before day 1 of the pill, most pill packs have placebo tablets w/ no drug (if it's the 28-day pack), or if you take a 21-day pack, no tablets at all, so less drug is in the body at that time of the cycle...