Clubplanet Nightlife Community

guys and girls:can they really be friends

what changes a friendship to something more???  

17 members have voted

1. 1. what changes a friendship to something more???

• sex
    • anything sexual
    • jealousy
    • nothing except obvious feelings
    • everything here,including feelings of course

okay, gotta throw this one out, i just need to. is it really possible to have a true friendship with the opposite sex. can there be two attractive people who sincerely care for each other that can remain friends???

I always have guy friends and "sex", attraction, affection, always ruined it some how. so is it really possible. i always, in my idealistic ways thought "yes", but i'm getting to that point where i dont know anymore. especially if you are flirtatious with at least one always like the other????:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Is it difficult? Yes. Is it impossible? Absolutely not. 99% of my friends are women and as to be expected, there has been some of that sexual tension that either destroys the friendship or makes another type of relationship blossom. The fact of the matter is, that if one person in the relationship is attractive, sexual tension will probably be an undercurrent running through the relationship, but that doesn't have to be the case. If both people are attractive and are attracted to each other, then it's twice as hard to have a platonic relastionship. You both have to be mature enough, and disciplined enough, to set and maintain boundaries, or else it will never work. I have crossed the line and "been with" friends only to realize it wasn't going to work as anything other than a friendly relationship and we fortunately we were able to revert back to the way we were--"just friends". Other times I haven't been so lucky and have lost friends I loved dearly.

I hate when people say you can't be friends with the opposite sex. I think it's dumb to throw away a friendship for such stupid reasoning. Friendship is so important nowadays, and yes attraction, sex etc. can get in the way but those are bumps in the road that people can get past if they are truely friends. Being in the club business I am friends with a lot of girls, probably more girls then guys, I have no problem being friends with any of them.

is it possible? absolutely. most of my friends are females and theyre all extremely good looking.

is it difficult? it can be....

case-in-point.....you have two great looking people who get along with each, sooner or later one of them is gonna say to him/herself, "why not? we're good friends, so lets see if we can take it to another level". depending on the level of maturity, you can either lose a friend forever, or relaize that youre better off friends and go back to being that.

I DEFINITELY agree that men and women can be friends. I say this because the majority of my friends are male - some of those friendships have gone past the limit and ended in sex, but I am still friends with these people and have no regrets or remorse about it. Some of the guys that I have been friends with I have known since I was 12 and have never ever hooked up with in my life - I consider them closer to me than some of the females in my life. Of course, there is sexual tension sometimes between a man and woman, but you need to use your head sometimes and avoid any compromising situations if that friendship is truly important to you.

Sometimes guys and girls can be friends. It depends on the situation. I have plenty of guy friends (some of whom have said they'd like to date me), although I'm not attracted to any of them. Those guys will prob stay my friends. But, I lost my best friend when we started sleeping together and I started falling for him....he hasn't talked to me in months. I feel like we lost a great thing.

javascript:smilie(':(')

frown

Why on earth should this be in the drama section?

Anyway, men and women can DEFINITELY be friends! Yes, there is *always* an undercurrent of sex running through the relationship. At least at first. But unless it's a really strong attraction it's something that you can easily get over. Personally all the friends with benefits I have ever had ended badly- however, later I realized that we weren't especially good friends in the first place. Good friends can get through damn near anything. It would be ridiculous to let anything get in the way of a good friendship, especially something so insignificant as the other person being of the opposite sex.

Absolutely. Most of my friends are guys. Yeah, sometimes there's tension, but we usually calm down enough to realize that while we're really good friends, a relationship wouldnt' work out. It's all about the maturity and the communication. :grin:

My best friend for the last 8 years is a girl, we are like brother and sister, never had a single complication. Even our parents ask every once in a while if we are "together", but its not like that shes like a sister and im like a brother. We would die for each other.

i really know that people of the opposite sex can be friends, most of the friends i've ever had have been males. but i guess i'm just really burnt over my ex. we were best friends at first and then ended up going out. we were fresh out of high school when we first started dating and i was afraid it would ruin our awesome friendship. after breaking up a year later we remained still very close friends for three years, we have done everything together from go clubbing, snowboarding, drinking, to mexico, everything while just being friends. but now he won't even talk to me after we slept together a few monthes ago. it just sucks that we can't be friends after all we have been through, good times and bad. its hurting me so bad that i'm afraid of any relationships with guys, especially working and living in the club industry.