Clubplanet Nightlife Community

To all those who knock cd-DJs.....

ibclubbin

from the latest edition of DJtimes:

DJ Times: How have CDs changed what you do?

Tenaglia: CDs are a Godsend for me. I used to travel with a lot of acetates, and not only are they heavy, but they wear out, and God forbid, you wouldn’t want to lose them. And now I have the capabilities of traveling with two boxes of records, and all my really important, private stuff on CD, and each one holds 74, 80 minutes. If I carry two books of that, 200 CDs each, I’ve got an incredible collection on the road with me. I have tons of a cappellas with me at all times, sound effects, everything’s loaded up right on cue. To do that with a record, it’s work. It’s already work – locate that CD, put it in, cue it up. But to have it on acetate, to cue it back, the needle would keep skipping; acetates are not friendly that way. So for me, CDs, as far as looping, that master tempo feature, I love it. I’d say 50-percent of my night is CDs. Even if I buy the record, I’ll burn it on CD.

thats what im talkin about!!!

BG

I don't know that people criticize cd's so much, but more the mp3/piracy issue. I've worked with (doing lights) Chris Cox, Guido, and some not-so-big name djs and they all used some cds in their sets. In fact, Chris used only cds because a record case had been stolen from him.

But... to those djs who have literally been spending years building up their collections (both cd and vinyl), it's the mp3 collectors who are despised.

Originally posted by tp1128

But... to those djs who have literally been spending years building up their collections (both cd and vinyl), it's the mp3 collectors who are despised.

By the way I can't say anything because my mp3 to vinyl ratio is about 7:1. =)

that is mos def true...i've spent my life building on cd's...i must admit, i don't buy any vinyl...everything i do get is from ppl that are exclusive vinyl promos only...though i spin only hip hop...but no doubt you're right...to all those catz knocking on cdj's...what the f#$k!!!

the art of turntablism was created using vinyl. Once people start using CDs more and more, its history will begin to fade. Even though I am always one to progress with the times, I have the most respect for vinyl hip hop djs. They keep the art of mixing truist to its original form.

The only solution to this problem is cheaper vinyls. I can't believe they haven't lowered in price over the years. In fact, they are a little more expensive. That's bullshit. Its just a piece of plastic.