Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Favorite 80's bands..(Nostalgic name dropping!)

Well if you where around for the later part of the 80's or through the entire ride

and started to build a record collection you might have some prefered "Where are they now" kinda artists in your Vynil library..

I went through many faces (and bad hair cuts)

but there are some 80's groups that have still kept a place in my Mugwump heart to this day..

So lets hear it guys?

What where some of your favorite records from back in the day?

here's a short list of Mugwumps top ten 80's albums in my "fav" box:

*The Cure (17 seconds)

*Tones on Tails (GO)

*Love and Rockets (Every album ever made by them)

*This Mortal Coil (Blood)

*Front 242 (Geography)

*Skinny Puppy (Rabies)

*Kraftwerk (Autobon)

*My life in the bush of Ghosts (Eno/Byrn)

*Depeche Mode (every single album)

*New Order (Substance)

(Runners up and honarable mentions in the more ROCK zone: Janes Addiction & Sonic Youth)

Now you...

let's see...sorry-i just have specific songs...rush (tom sawyer)...van halen (panama, hot for teacher)...night ranger (sister christian)...madonna (the entire like a virgin album)...duran duran (the reflex)...cover girls and expose...viscious pink (8:15 to nowhere)...souxie and the banshees (peekaboo)...u2 (sunday bloody sunday)...pet shop boys (west end girls)...new order (both the substance and technique albums)...anything by depeche mode...microchip league (new york)...front 242 (head hunter)...george michael (i want your sex) and wham (careless whisper)...prince and the entire purple rain phenomenon (i wanted to dress like apollonia kotero)...ll cool j (goin' back to cali)...and last but not least - george clinton (atomic dog)

i liked all kinds of music...i have the beastie boys' license to ill cd in my car...never know when you have to break out w/ "paul revere"...

okay, okay - i'll admit it...i was also into the whole doug e. fresh and slick rick thing, too...*thinking back*...ahh...the good old days...ever see an asian chick beat box to la-di-da-di...trust me, it's totally comical, and no - i'm not about to demonstrate...besides, ya'll don't want spit all over the place, do ya? :laugh:

:heart:

I admit it, I listened to Information Society for a while, and I don't see anyone who has them listed so I guess that makes me the loser.

Funny thing about them, though... I was DJing this house party up in Boston a few years ago where everyone was tripping on mescaline, and then I played the first two lines of that IS song where it goes "I wanna know, what you're thinking. Tell me what's on your mind", and then I just stopped the record realizing it was not the best thing to be listening to at the moment. Everyone just looked at each other all crazy looking and shit from the microdots, and then they all busted out laughing. Ah... good times, good times.

I then I was also listening to this shit back then: Candlemass, Slayer, King Diamond, Manowar, Cirith Ungol, Kool Moe Dee, Eazy E, Swass (Sir Mix-a-Lot's first group), Eric B & Rakim, Too Short, etc.

Wow!

so many styles..

What an eclectic group of clubbers you all are..

I was curiouse though..?

How many of you feel the music you liked then led you to listen to the shit you do now?

For example I can traise straight lines from say 242 to techy type shit that I like today..

or

Massive attack to my more down tempo tastes like PORTISHEAD and DJ SHADOW.

any one feel like the 80's helped to push you on the dance floors today?

BAHAUS

DEPECHE MODE

SKINNY PUPPY

SIOUXIE & THE BANSHEES

THE CURE

MEAT BEAT MANIFESTO

FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY

STRANGLERS

BIGOD 20

XMAL DEUTCHLAND

CONSOLIDATED

DEAD CAN DANCE

PIXIES

COCTEU TWINS

808 STATE

FRONT 242

ETC ETC ETC.................................................................

Originally posted by go411

BAHAUS

DEPECHE MODE

SKINNY PUPPY

SIOUXIE & THE BANSHEES

THE CURE

MEAT BEAT MANIFESTO

FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY

STRANGLERS

BIGOD 20

XMAL DEUTCHLAND

CONSOLIDATED

DEAD CAN DANCE

PIXIES

COCTEU TWINS

808 STATE

FRONT 242

ETC ETC ETC.................................................................

Holy shit, you rule!!! I don't see many people talk about those bands on this board. If you're still into industrial, you should come down to Justines on a Friday where I spin FLA, F242, Bigod 20 and newer industrial dance stuff.

And Mugz, what I listened to in the 80s didn't have much effect on what I listen to now. I still collect all types of underground music from black metal to doom metal to industrial to electronica. I got into this scene and started DJing because electronica is just one of the styles I like. I'd say the stuff that really got me into it was the early stuff on the Tresor label. Especially "Metro" by Joey Beltram, but I'm still involved in the metal and industrial scenes even more now than I was in the 80s.

Cinderella

RaTT

Winger

Bullet Boys

Run-DMC

Bon Jovi

Overkill

Megadeth

Metallica

Testament

Motley Crue

Skid Row

Vain

Kix

PM Dawn -lol

Publilc Enemy

Nice and Smooth

Big Daddy Kane

EPMD

Beastie Boys -of course...

this list is obviously made up of my glam/metal/rock/rap years...

ill probably think of more in a bit...:laugh: :goofy:

Originally posted by heretic909

Holy shit, you rule!!! I don't see many people talk about those bands on this board. If you're still into industrial, you should come down to Justines on a Friday where I spin FLA, F242, Bigod 20 and newer industrial dance stuff.

Right on I'm there >>where's justines heretic?????

Originally posted by go411

NEveRmiNd I found the addy. I'm really excited you have a night like this in the city. Will be there for sure this Friday to check it out!!!!

:) :) :)

Cool, come say hi if you stop by. I'm the big guy with the long black hair that'll be DJing. I heard they were thinking about making Fridays a gay night there, so come check it out soon in case they do change it. I'll send you more info if I hear they do change it. But here's the info just in case:

Vice & Virtue

@ La Nouvelle Justine

101 E 2nd St (corner of 1st Ave)

Dräcos spins hard house, industrial and ebm from 11pm-4am in the front room

Admission is $5 after 11pm, no dress code

ps. I'm Dräcos :)

Peter Murphy (bauhaus)

Siouxsie

Cure

Depeche Mode

Sisters of Mercy

Skinny Puppy

Front Line Assembly

Front 242

Clan of Xymox

Virgin Prunes

Nitzer Ebb

Joy Division

Ministry

all the 4AD groups (dead can dance, xmal deutchland. cocteau twins, etc)

Smiths

A-ha (hehe)

Duran Duran (hehe)

many more...i was deep into the goth and industrial world for most of my life...until i found dance music...before this, the closest i got to dance music were in the EBM genre...like VNV Nation, Covenant, And One and stuff like that...

• 3 weeks later...

george michael

michael jackson - he WASN'T a freak back then!!!

Madonna

Whitney - pre-Bobby Brown

Tina Turner - you rock girl!!!!

Sting

David Bowie

B-52's

Duran Duran

INXS

Depche Mode

A-ha - Take on me was an awsome video

Frankie/Freddie goes to hollywood - it's the ganga, can't remember

LL Cool J. - sooooo sexy

new edition

ok, i know it's part of the early 90s and u guys can trash me for this, but Milli Vanilli and NKOTB it's part of my embarassing PAST

the Bangles

ok, i'll stop before i make an ass of myself

should start one for the early 90's