Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Space This Space That

phunk303

Originally posted by djfrosty

New to the board and read all of your messages to see what's going on, etc. From Cincinnati and come down to Miami usually once a month

ey frosty, i'm in cincy too. how's things going at rumba? pm me and we'll move away from the space thread.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Nolimit

u guys crack me up! thanks for the good laugh. i havent been getting many of those lately. go figure...

:laugh: Actually this whole thread reminds me of the majority of the conversations that go on at the "other" board. Just exchange the word SPACE for a particular GU compilation or song. :laugh:

sounds like space has some of u by the balls. if u stop going there, where can u go as an alternative where u hear decent music on a decent sound system with a reasonable door policy?

unfortunately, miami doesn't offer too many options in that category. they have all the vip u want, but when it comes to 'quality' music, you're ass out.

sounds like space has some of u by the balls. if u stop going there, where can u go as an alternative where u hear decent music on a decent sound system with a reasonable door policy?

unfortunately, miami doesn't offer too many options in that category. they have all the vip u want, but when it comes to 'quality' music, you're ass out.

unfortunate, but so so true … with some exceptions..

Quote from djoscarg

"We also try our best to continue to bring the best talent and have the best sound and lighting. "

Uh you sure about that? I think the proper phrase would be, one of the best lighting and sound systems. Rumor has it that there's a big club on the beach with a new EAW Avalon system that kicks ass. You might wanna check it out. Maybe to the rumor is on the LEVEL.

I think Space has spoiled us all a little bit. I really think they do alot more for the scene than we give them credit for. They have been pioneers in alot of ways in South Florida.

You know what they say:

You don't know what you've got till it's gone....

And before GrooveJet there was the Warsaw Ballroom. The only Gay venue that was really home to alot of house heads (gay and straight). That's were the best conference parties were back in the day. It was, also, the ONLY venue to bring in outside talent back then. Paragon jumped on the ban wagon a little later. :) GrooveJet was the SHIT, however.

Unfortunately Space is the only club which commits to bringing in a big name DJ virtually every week. As someone pointed out, the door hassle would not be missed, but the quality of the music certainly would if Space were to close.

However as Downtown grows as a party area, there will certainly be more competition for our dollars which should result in better service.

the .junkies.

cooljunkie_logo_box.gif

Originally posted by cooljunkie

Unfortunately Space is the only club which commits to bringing in a big name DJ virtually every week. As someone pointed out, the door hassle would not be missed, but the quality of the music certainly would if Space were to close.

cooljunkie_logo_box.gif

I respectfully disagree. crobar also has a commitment, to bringing in big name dj’s, as well. perhaps not as often as space, but certainly of equal quality." the quality of music would be missed if space were to close ."I doubt it. a majority of the dj’s who have spun at space; have spun in miami, countless times prior to space’s existence. let us not forget liquid, groove jet, shadow lounge, warsaw ballroom, club nu, club1235, etc. all of these venues helped to put miami on the map, and they are responsible for the scene, that exist today. I give props to space, for the talent they have , and the talent they bring in. however, let’s not carried away. :)

peace, sobeton

>sobeton

I agree with you that Crobar brings in a lot of quality talent, however not as regularly as Space, which was really the point I was trying to make. How many times do we see Crobar events mentioned on this board compared to Space events (albeit sometimes in a negative light)?

All of the clubs you mentioned definitely contributed to making Miami what it is in terms of nightlife, my favorite being GrooveJet, but unfortunately those clubs are no longer around, and not many of the clubs that are around at the moment seem willing to put up the dollars for the artists that we want to see here.

It's tough because in an ideal world there would be no door attitude at Space (and I have to admit I have not been on the receiving end - yet) but right now I think that we'd have a shortage of big events to discuss should Space close.

Here's to the hope that whatever problems Space has get resolved and we can all enjoy the talent that they provide with no hassle.

peace...

Originally posted by cooljunkie

>sobeton

I agree with you that Crobar brings in a lot of quality talent, however not as regularly as Space, which was really the point I was trying to make. How many times do we see Crobar events mentioned on this board compared to Space events (albeit sometimes in a negative light)?

All of the clubs you mentioned definitely contributed to making Miami what it is in terms of nightlife, my favorite being GrooveJet, but unfortunately those clubs are no longer around, and not many of the clubs that are around at the moment seem willing to put up the dollars for the artists that we want to see here.

It's tough because in an ideal world there would be no door attitude at Space (and I have to admit I have not been on the receiving end - yet) but right now I think that we'd have a shortage of big events to discuss should Space close.

Here's to the hope that whatever problems Space has get resolved and we can all enjoy the talent that they provide with no hassle.

peace...

space is a bigger club then crobar, and is the most popular right now. hence, the recognition, be it positive or negative.." I think that we'd have a shortage of big events to discuss should Space close." again, I disagree; I’m not quite sure, what you qualify as a big event. in the month of october we have: PVD, Steve Lawler, Parks& Wilson, Jody, Tarrantella & Redanka, Soulstice, Tiesto, etc. PVD, and Tiesto will be at the space. the others will be playing elsewhere. If your defining big events, as events with superstar dj’s. then yes, space is the leader, at the moment. imo;there is no shortage of talent, or "big" events. just a shortage of gracious venues.. :) peace, sobeton

Space has bought the building one block west from them. Its a 2 story building and what i hear is that it has and underground basement also.. Rumor has it they want to build space there make it one of the biggest venues in the country and they are looking to sell the current space to the old owners of Shadow.. But thats just what I heard ... I know the building has been sold for sure, even space uses it sometimes to put adds up on it.

Mr. Puig seems to be angling himself as the Steve Rubell of Downtown. Minus the drug use and tax evasion of course.

Hmm...I think I'll start doing some preproduction work on the Space movie.

We'll have to embellish it of course. Louis can be the staid club owner, and we'll give Emi a coke habit that would level a cow, and toss in some corrupt police work from Sgt. Kowalski and friends...we'll enlist Rose McGowan to play the black haired bitch, Lisa Kudrow to play Cher, and John Leguizamo to play Angel. Gerard Depardeiu as Stephan? Hmm...they look nothing alike, but one snooty Frenchman is the same as another....we'll toss in Salma Hayek as the club queen (I know it's been done...), Leelee Sobieski as the little innocent girl from Kendall about to get a good mindfuck from the clubworld...

Someone help me with the male casting. I need a wise-ass club-kid, male, 20-25, preferably of african or latin descent. I think I'll cast Antonio Banderas as Louis, and we'll toss in Mira Sorvino as his girlfriend.

Cameos by Edgar, Oscar, Ivano, Paul Van Dyk, Danny Tenaglia, and many more.

Now I just need a plot.

I'll skimp on the French requirement if I can find a jerk with an accent. Close enough :)

I haven't filmed in awhile, I feel the need to do so again. My last stint as a DP went over well, the film didn't make it beyond local festivals...but with a relevant topic like this it could go places..