Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Centro-fly: Further & further downhill

its a real shame when a place goes from being cool, to a place where you wouldnt ever want to go back to.

I have been going to centro for almost 2 years now (since opening night) and i am officially done with it forever. I hate to say it, because i have had many many fun nights there, but when you get treated like shit consistantly by the staff (door, bar, and security) its just compleatly ruins the vibe of the place.

Even people who didnt like to go clubbing so much, i would tell them about centro-fly and convince them to check it out. I would have parties there, and more often than not, buy bottles at rediculous prices. I gave and brought them so much business there its a joke.

so on saturday night, my girlfriend and I get there around 2 o'clock. this new orange suit guy (not a door guy, but security or whatever) must have thought we were to drunk to come in or something , and signaled for them to not let us in. then Suzane, the door girl who knows who I am says

"you should come here first next time"

Hello, isnt this a club???? first of all, we were more sober than 90% of the times we have walked up there, second of all, dont you , being the door girl for about a year, have any authority to be like, no, its ok, i knw him, they can come in? not one other person was on the whole line outside, and my friends sayed it was dead inside, so whats the dilly? I think either that this new guy was just trying to exercise his power on the next people who camed to the door, or he took one look at me and my girlfriend and resented us for some kinda of socioeconomic reasons. they not only have lost my 'bottle buying' business forever, but a lot of other peoples whom i know too (both by prior instances, and this).

but you know what, It was going so far downhill, more and more every time i was there, its for the best anyway. peope tried to tell me, but i kept on giving them the benefit of the doubt. A year ago, you had the perfect mix of all kinds a people there, now its a kiddie drug den, waiting to be busted, i'm just glad there are 100s of other places to go!!!

i hear ya. i used to love that place and started going there from the beginning...eclectic crowd and a free fun of the place. then they started restricting access to the tapioca room. then to the vip area....then to the big room in the corner...then they even restricted seating in the general seating area right off the dance floor. there was no where to hang out except on the dance floor, in the bathroom, or right at the bar. and the staff got rude as shit. the place is overcrowded and too hot and i stopped going.

in your case, i'd call the club and ask to speak to the owner and explain your situation, if you still care enough.

Let's not write off Centro Fly just yet.

I still feel very strongly that this is the best club in New York. I challange anyone to find any other club with as good a mix of quality music, service, and space.

Momadance: you've been posting a long time here, and from what I've read I respect your posts and opinions. However, I must ask that you not be too quick to judge. I admit, the crowd has been slipping a bit (more guido elbow dancing types). But no place is perfect. The wait staff has always been impecable as well.

Have you consistently had problems at the door? Perhaps Suzanne was having a rough night, some policy changed, or you were drunker than you think.

Last but not least, music is the most important thing. If you like the DJ, go.

And for those of you who haven't been to Centro Fly yet, don't change your plans. Try everything once...I even went to Sound Factory and Exit...

Originally posted by furnace

Let's not write off Centro Fly just yet.

I still feel very strongly that this is the best club in New York. I challange anyone to find any other club with as good a mix of quality music, service, and space.

Momadance: you've been posting a long time here, and from what I've read I respect your posts and opinions. However, I must ask that you not be too quick to judge. I admit, the crowd has been slipping a bit (more guido elbow dancing types). But no place is perfect. The wait staff has always been impecable as well.

Have you consistently had problems at the door? Perhaps Suzanne was having a rough night, some policy changed, or you were drunker than you think.

Last but not least, music is the most important thing. If you like the DJ, go.

And for those of you who haven't been to Centro Fly yet, don't change your plans. Try everything once...I even went to Sound Factory and Exit...

Furnace, I beg to differ here.... Shuga and I used to be regulars at Centro and I have had many a good night there. However in the past 6 months that place has begun to slip. It is to hot and crowded, it is hard to find a spot and chill cause of the wait staff, now they have taken up more of the dance floor with the dj booth.... additionally it is $9 for a drink that is in a juice glass..... :eek: I used to LOVE that place, however i just do not get the same feeling or vibe there any longer.

However the alternatives are getting fewer and fewer.... That is why I have taken to the daylight now and I am finding things to do while the sun is shining....

Originally posted by fuclubkidd

i was gonna go there the saturday after my b-day....what the hell am i goin to do now my b-day is on the 24th and i was goin to go oto centro on the 27th :(:( :confused: :confused:

you should still go and see for yourself if you've never been. your perspective will be different. for me, i saw it go from being totally cool and underground to the most popular club in the city because of twilo's closing. get your drink on before you go, though, because the drinks are ridiculously expensive. also, when they first opened, they said the cover charge would never be more than $10 and within about six months they were eating their words and now the whole thing is all about guest lists, guest lists, guest lists. for your birthday, i would almost suggest you go on Friday night for their GBH party, that vibe may be even better than Saturday nights, which are pretty crowded, at least they were before the incidents of Sept. 11....and furnace is right, you definitely need to be into the dj before you shell out your $20!!!

the place is dope...but if you go on a night that you don't know who is dj... then you risk having a bad time..because this place kicks ass if the dj is good..just like any place...

the only difference is that it is not as underground anymore...so more people are going....but the place is still dope and if the dj is good..then it is one of the best places to be aside from vinyle..

i've been going to centro since it opened....

Originally posted by thehacker

i'm intrigued...

like what?

well, like heading upstate and looking at the leaves. they are beautiful this time of the year...... shopping at outdoor markets, a picnic, lunch outdoors with friends near the water..... i could go on and on.... we live in a gorgeous part of this country...

oh and i forgot the best thingee to do in this part of the world apple and pumpkin picking... i am going to get a pumpkin this year and carve it out for halloween. :)

Originally posted by stacychase

well, like heading upstate and looking at the leaves. they are beautiful this time of the year...... shopping at outdoor markets, a picnic, lunch outdoors with friends near the water..... i could go on and on.... we live in a gorgeous part of this country...

oh and i forgot the best thingee to do in this part of the world apple and pumpkin picking... i am going to get a pumpkin this year and carve it out for halloween. :)

Listen I agree..

I need a break once in a while myself..

But Centro is an example of NY and it's greed for $$$$!!!

Same happens to almost every club in the city..

Trance is becoming the ":rich man's pleasure.."

Just like Jazz clubs went from an underground "beatnick"thing (in it's infancy)

to shit like THE BLUE NOTE today..

(where you have to pay an arm and a leg to enter and sit at a table next to a 70 year old tourist to hear music)

The alternatives ARE the best shit now for my $$ (or for free)

But soon I suspect they will also start to charge crazy ammounts of money!

*Filter 14

*Guernica

*Baktun

*Izzy Bar

*Halcyon

*Jah Lounge (when Z spins)

*Leps

*The street

*Opium Den

*Shine..

etc..etc..

smaller non GLAM dance floors where the only thing that counts is the MUSIC!!

but to each his/her own..

(I wish Big DJs would play for the people again and bigger floors lowered prizes..

but until they do I'm sticking to my smaller DIVES!)

Hey Stacychase..

can I go pumpkin pickin with you..

pretty pleeeaaase!

It's been so long since I go pumpkin pickin!

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by mugwump

Listen I agree..

(where you have to pay an arm and a leg to enter and sit at a table next to a 70 year old tourist to hear music)

*Filter 14

*Guernica

*Baktun

*Izzy Bar

*Halcyon

*Leps

*The street

*Opium Den

*Shine..

etc..etc..

(I wish Big DJs would play for the people again and bigger floors lowered prizes..

Hey Stacychase..

pretty pleeeaaase!

yes you may and than we can carve the pumpkins and roast pumpkin seeds in the oven.:spin::hat:

Originally posted by fuclubkidd

is centro gonna be good on the 27th.....its my b-day weekend....and from all these posts my plans have a hurricane over them right now :( ......anybody want to shine a rainbow over my gloomy looking day:confused: :D

don't despair! for the most accurate information, call the club and find out who is spinning. you'll have fun no matter what, it's your birthday!!!! just remember to bring some girls with you because they've been known to limit groups of guys, and get there early-ish or expect to wait in line...it's the weekend before halloween so there will probably be lots of peeps out celebrating halloween so everywhere will be crowded that night.

there is a pumpkin apple farm... i have been dying to go since i heard about it a couple of weeks ago..... i want to pick/carve a pumpkin and also get some apples, yummy... they say that you can get apple cider there, however i am not to fond of apple cider.

i am going in the next couple of weeks to check out the leaves and get me some apples/pumpkins.....:eek:

good, clean, fresh air........:tongue:

Originally posted by shugabooga

in your case, i'd call the club and ask to speak to the owner and explain your situation, if you still care enough.

I actualy know one of the owners very well (since way before centro-fly even existed) but I didnt even want to start with all that. have you ever seen anyone argue their way in somewhere? It could be done, but its just not my stlye. I'd rather just stop giving them my business altogether. its not like its last years centro that i'll be missing, and at least I wont have anymore defending of the place to do.

Originally posted by mugwump

Listen I agree..

*Filter 14

*Guernica

*Baktun

*Izzy Bar

*Halcyon

*Leps

*The street

*Opium Den

*Shine..

etc..etc..

Hey Stacychase..

pretty pleeeaaase!

Hey I agree. I moved back here late last year and I found that things have changed greatly in seven years. I grew up in NJ and used to love going out to NYC. But now it seems hard to figure out whats going on. However i did find a couple of cool small digz to chill and party at, could use more. I'll check those out - definitely.

But good underground parties are almost nonexistant at least to me.

Centro door policy has sucked lately. I went for Timo Maas, and the bouncers were whispering to me that my friends and I should bribe them or we would never get in (got in like 30 mins later after extreme pushing). Cool venue, but it's lost it's vibe and drinks are way too fucking expensive too.

There are definitely better places, like Vinyl, for example, and some smaller cool places that I am going to be giving my business to instead of Centro.

TO those who were hoping to go, you should definitely go -- you gotta at least try it and see for yourself.