Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is George Acosta Fading??????????

beyondo

Good idea Vaughan. This coming friday at Goddess, my friend Eric is spinning with Terron Darby, and I plan on attending for something a little different. Plus with my focus on photo-documenting the scene, I like to have a different crowd in front of my lens every so often. It's why I hop around a lot, too. One weekend, I'm at Space, going from Edgar, to Oscar, to Ivano, then maybe the weekend after, I'm at crobar for Juan, Stefan, or any number of guest DJs. Occasionally I'll pop into Level for some hard house on Fridays, maybe even I'll drop by Billboard Live! for Tracy Young.

I think GA is fabulous, he should try to get a residency at BONGOS in the Arena.

They would die for him their, some thumpin German Trance at 145 bpm mixed in with some Wilfrido Vargas Merengue at 143 bpm. Absolutely perfect.

""mami que sera lo que quiere el negro, tikiti tikiti tikiti tikiti, mami que sera lo que quire el negro, tikiti tkiti tikiti tikiti"

WOW they would go absolutely bonkers!!!

I was all about the breakbeats.....having first heard electronic music at The Edge in Ft. Lauderdale back in '95, I thought that it was all about the breaks.

It didn't take long for me to realize that it doesn't matter what style of music a certain track is as long as it's just good. Whether it be drum and bass, trance, house, ambient, breaks......a song is a song....and as long as there are tracks that MUSICALLY stand apart from the rest...then those are the ones that grab my attention......again I mention Rabbit in the Moon, my favorite electronic music artist........Confucius creates songs whether they be drum and bass, breaks, or house......what sticks out is the musicality within his songs......

Many songs heard at clubs(of whichever genre) usually stick to the pattern of the style......trance records usually sound like this, and house records usually sound like that....It's all a matter of taste, though........If you like a song, then that's all you need.....It really doesn't mean that "trance" is dead(as this topic speaks of)......it's just that Union Jack doesn't exist anymore....hehe;)

Originally posted by beyondo

NOW GA IS STARTING A NEW NIGHT AT LEVEL EVERY MONTH CALLED "THE NEXT LEVEL". AND HE DOES HAVE A NICE TOUR SCHEDULE .

BUT IS THAT TRANCE GETING PLAYED OUT???

HE IS PLAYING SONGS THAT ARE ON Y 100 (DURING THE DAY) BELIEVE ME ITS WHAT WE PLAY AT WORK .

WITH OTHER HOME BASED RESIDENTS QUICKLY FILLING IN GA IS PRETTY MUCH GONE UNNOTICED.

EDGAR V QUIETLY FILLED IN SIMILAR IF NOT BETTER MUSIC THAN HIM AT SPACE

OSCAR G IS PLAYING THAT HARD DARK HOUSE THATS CATCHING ON AGAIN....

AND MIAMI'S NEW SWEETHEART IS IVANO BELLINI WITH THE INFAMOUS "PATIO MUSIC"

GA YOUR ATTITUDE DOESNT HELP EITHER BURNIGN BRIDGES WITH OTHER DJS AND CLUB OWNERS WILL HAVE YOU SITTING ON THE SIDELINES SOON ....JUST ASK DAVID PADILLA.:idea:

George Acosta's first night at LEVEL packed 3500 in the club. The second night, which was right after the Terrorist Disaster packed in 2500. On each of these nights there were well over 800 people being kicked out of LEVEL at closing and they were all screaming for more Acosta.

Just telling you what I saw.

this post wasnt to rip Acosta (besides his sometimes questionable attitide) and the music he spins.

in fact it was help to remember the dominance he had not too long ago. Acostanation was a force.

its a shame the radio and the Ft Laud scene cought up to it and killed it(trance)

now we got new mega residents EDGAR< OSCAR< IVANO

and he is not missed

they also know how to adjust to different sounds during the sets not to bore people and hit people with a little more variety in music to make all happy.

Not taking anything away from Edgar - Oscar - Ivano but the way Acosta controls the crowd is immense. I've seen him do the same thing in Texas for 14,000 people. George doesn't play in Miami that much because his touring schedule is intense. After hearing the very positive reviews from Tampa and Atlanta alone, I'd say the Acosta is still very much alive and kicking.

Maybe you're just to caught up in the Miami "I'm a clubkid" thing. Miami's scene is good but there's definitely room for improvement and it coming. VERY SOON!!!

first of all terry im not a "club kid" ive been clubbing here in Miami since i moved here in '92 through groove jet, liquid , shadow...and so on.

i have also been to ibiza twice, Uruguay, Italy and major clubs in NY and caLI my point was he himself as an "artist" NOT the trance he plays can be much bigger.

Ive followed GA since he was at Bash, the KGB,Lucky 13, Shadow...in fact ill go way back i was one of those going to his parties at the "JUNKYARD" ask him about that he will tell you.

i just feel his attitude and "close mindedness" is slowly shutting doors in his face he can be much bigger but he has pisses alot of people LIKE Padilla.....

also i know your affiliated somehow with level so of course your going to defend him....and by the way what festival did you create?? im not trying to be funny i really dont know?????......

i guess we will wait and see how his new residency goes....

if you didnt notice he wasnt playing in miami...he WAS touring but back here where "Acostanation" was born he wasnt missed ...Edgar and Oscar and a zillion of guest DJs didnt give us time to miss him.....GA lets see what you got !!

first of all terry im not a "club kid" ive been clubbing here in Miami since i moved here in '92 through groove jet, liquid , shadow...and so on.

i have also been to ibiza twice, Uruguay, Italy and major clubs in NY and caLI my point was he himself as an "artist" NOT the trance he plays can be much bigger.

Ive followed GA since he was at Bash, the KGB,Lucky 13, Shadow...in fact ill go way back i was one of those going to his parties at the "JUNKYARD" ask him about that he will tell you.

i just feel his attitude and "close mindedness" is slowly shutting doors in his face he can be much bigger but he has pisses alot of people LIKE Padilla.....

also i know your affiliated somehow with level so of course your going to defend him....and by the way what festival did you create?? im not trying to be funny i really dont know?????......

i guess we will wait and see how his new residency goes....

if you didnt notice he wasnt playing in miami...he WAS touring but back here where "Acostanation" was born he wasnt missed ...Edgar and Oscar and a zillion of guest DJs didnt give us time to miss him.....GA lets see what you got !!

You're way off base. You're making it sound like George is going from club to club and owners are turning him down, when it's quite the opposite. First off there's no club in Miami that can qualify for George's standard in production. I should know because it's my specification. Second, you say he pissed off Padilla. What's that got to do with anything? George is doing his thing. If the crowd supports him more than another DJ then that's not his fault. I was at LEVEL on both occasions when George played and the crowd couldn't get enough of him. That's why he's going to be at LEVEL as a resident. Plain and simple.

As I stated before, Edgar and Oscar are great but Acosta commands the crowd wherever he plays. Your point of missing Acosta is kind of silly. What you don't seem to notice is that the club scene in Miami has expanded and more and more international DJ's are coming her to play and that's good.

But to come on here and say George Acosta is fading is insane. I've known both Padilla and Acosta for over 10 years and they're styles are totally different. Padilla has always played hard while Acosta's style has always been to take the crowd on a journey. They're both great DJ's and it's so stupid to think that there is some kind of feud between them. Or are you just trying to start shit on the forum??

And to answer your question about what festivals have I created, I produced the electronic music stage at ZetaFest 2000 and 2001 and I am the Production Coodinator for ULTRA, not to mention putting together Cyberfest FLA and Texas Zen.

Originally posted by vaughanz

Has everyone been taking notes???? The reason that all of these Genre's "die" is because everyone becomes so close-minded to all other genres at that time. Everyone plays Frogger and leaps from one style to another... and they all do it at the same time (see: Sheep).

The same people that swore by Trance a couple of years ago are now the ones that are swearing by Progressive house and they will be the same peopel that turn their backs on Progressive house when it becomes to "in". I am a die-hard househead but have an amazing respect for certain dj's & producers who do music other than house. I like a song because it's a good song.. not a good "Progressive house" song or "Trance" song. I see a similar pattern in nightclubs as well. One sheep leaves.. they all leave. I am veru unbiased when I say that Crobar is one of the best clubs as far as their dedication to having good music... in every shape & size. Where else can you go on a Saturday and hear Timo Maas and the next saturday hear DJ Heather from Chicago playing funky-house????? There are a few people on this board (Phrakadelic, Stacey, Danny and others) that I can truly tell that they are GENUINE lovers of all music- from Marques Wyatt to Parks & Wilson to Digweed to Paul Van Dyke.

Let's try an experiment... Go out to a club where a dj is playing that you normally wouldn't listen to! You might be surprised!

Hold on a minute. You're making it sound like Progressive House is something new. Bruce Wilcox and Chris Fortier were bangin Progressive House like crazy back in 93 - 97. I can remember several copies of good tracks that came in the mail from Underground Music in Orlando. What's funny is now everyone thinks it some new thing when in fact they were missing the boat back when Deep House was prevalent.

Originally posted by festivalcre8or

Hold on a minute. You're making it sound like Progressive House is something new. Bruce Wilcox and Chris Fortier were bangin Progressive House like crazy back in 93 - 97. I can remember several copies of good tracks that came in the mail from Underground Music in Orlando. What's funny is now everyone thinks it some new thing when in fact they were missing the boat back when Deep House was prevalent.

Bruce Wilcox was the first 'real' dj that I was introduced to back in the Edge days in Ft. Lauderdale, granted I was a kid back then but it defenitely paved way for what I've become.

I really don't know much about progressive having started listening to it not even a year ago but I've heard Sasha and Digweed mixes from 5 years ago that sound nothing like their mixes nowadays. It seems that although the category of "progressive house" has been used for the style of music for years......the sound keeps changing......which I why I suppose it's called "progressive".......

hey phrankadelic im glad somebody else would hang out at Acostas JUNKYARD !!!

your really old school not like some of these other people who have been in the scene for like 6 months only cuz POWER 96 intorduced them to it and they call themselves old school.

keep it real PHRANK !!:spin:

Originally posted by vaughanz

Has everyone been taking notes???? The reason that all of these Genre's "die" is because everyone becomes so close-minded to all other genres at that time. Everyone plays Frogger and leaps from one style to another... and they all do it at the same time (see: Sheep).

The same people that swore by Trance a couple of years ago are now the ones that are swearing by Progressive house and they will be the same peopel that turn their backs on Progressive house when it becomes to "in". I am a die-hard househead but have an amazing respect for certain dj's & producers who do music other than house. I like a song because it's a good song.. not a good "Progressive house" song or "Trance" song. I see a similar pattern in nightclubs as well. One sheep leaves.. they all leave. I am veru unbiased when I say that Crobar is one of the best clubs as far as their dedication to having good music... in every shape & size. Where else can you go on a Saturday and hear Timo Maas and the next saturday hear DJ Heather from Chicago playing funky-house????? There are a few people on this board (Phrakadelic, Stacey, Danny and others) that I can truly tell that they are GENUINE lovers of all music- from Marques Wyatt to Parks & Wilson to Digweed to Paul Van Dyke.

Let's try an experiment... Go out to a club where a dj is playing that you normally wouldn't listen to! You might be surprised!

Is amazing how people's mind change from one month to another:confused:

I LOVE Trance, since I first Heard The 50 year old godfather Talla 2xlc spin in DC. The only reason it may be fading away is because it has a reputation of being druog oriented which it is. There are very few people who when they stop dropping pilss stil love the music. I have been spinning trance now for 2 years in NYC, I have no gig anywhere cause there is basically no trance in NY especially after the twilo closing.

As far as GA he is SICK although Cocky, He tends to Play to Hard Trance which goes hand in hand with E, so when the crowd comes down of there clouds, then the music goes with it which is SAD. Progressive DJs can spin for hrs on end because it is smooth, very little crazy ups and downs. I saw Tiesto at Space last week and he was amazing, He can mix trance like no other person so can PVD, Djs have a tough time mixing trance because it is fast and doesn't have that hard hard bass sound. Take Edgar for example he plays teh same set everywhere he goes for the past 3 months, he has hard hard bass hwich makes it easy to match.

I will always love trance and when I move this year to MIA I will have a residency to make others love it too, Hopefully

Dj Dekan i dont know who u are but you hit it right on the money.

thats exaclty my point .....we share the same views.

GA and Edgar have to get rid of the bass thumping cheese trance they are playing on freaking y-100 . for those out of towners thats a station DJs wouldnt wanna be affiliated....

Most of their sets is amazing and yes i was there for Tiesto he was amazing .

Im glad hes around to keep "good trance" alive

i dont wanna see trance fade but if its up to GA and its followers

(every up and coming DJ in Miami almost) ** few exceptions play the same sound.