Clubplanet Nightlife Community

my new cd of the year

aeroplano

what can i say... i couldn't complain much abou the cd's coming out this year. i can very honestly say i've seen better than last year. first sander kleinenberg blew my mind with his nubreed, then yoshiesque2, deviations, lee burridge's nubreed... the list doesn't end. this last saturday i bought both the deep dish global underground and the new renaissance by howells and warren. contrary to what many of the people in the gu board have said, i think gu 21 is probably the best that has come out since hong kong. it does have some played out tracks, but by no means are they bad. let's hope the cd withstands the test of time as well as hong kong has. but the howells renaissance... OH MY FUCKING GOD! i thought his nubreed was decent (yes, decent and no more than that), but his renaissance is just way out of hand in my opinion (lorraine, i know you will definitely enjoy this one if i know your taste in music). as for the warren part of the cd, it really hasn't done much for me, although i haven't really given it a fair chance. i'll comment on it when i have given it a decent listen. i really have to say howells topped every other cd this year (track four is... just listen to it).

i hope everyone is doing well and i'll be seeing all of you in january.

marcos.

ps (STACEY)... happy birthday babe!

marcos> thank you

agree with GU 21, hence, check out my review.

as for howells. that is one sick brother. ugh, can't get enough of him. you know, he is at vinyl on nye. hmm?

btw, i think i'm the only one who likes warrens cd. didn't love it but thought it was decent...what i expected from him.

be safe luv & miss you

come home quickly :)

Originally posted by aeroplano

what can i say... i couldn't complain much abou the cd's coming out this year. i can very honestly say i've seen better than last year. first sander kleinenberg blew my mind with his nubreed, then yoshiesque2, deviations, lee burridge's nubreed... the list doesn't end. this last saturday i bought both the deep dish global underground and the new renaissance by howells and warren. contrary to what many of the people in the gu board have said, i think gu 21 is probably the best that has come out since hong kong. it does have some played out tracks, but by no means are they bad. let's hope the cd withstands the test of time as well as hong kong has. but the howells renaissance... OH MY FUCKING GOD! i thought his nubreed was decent (yes, decent and no more than that), but his renaissance is just way out of hand in my opinion (lorraine, i know you will definitely enjoy this one if i know your taste in music). as for the warren part of the cd, it really hasn't done much for me, although i haven't really given it a fair chance. i'll comment on it when i have given it a decent listen. i really have to say howells topped every other cd this year (track four is... just listen to it).

i hope everyone is doing well and i'll be seeing all of you in january.

marcos.

There you are!! I was wondering where you had gone off to. :)

I really like gu 21, doesn't matter wat them GU messageboard psychos think...lol

You must check out the Fabric Cd by Craig Richards, I'm sure you will really really enjoy that one :)

I have the new Renaissance and really like it... Howells starts off really nice.

Loraine

Originally posted by loraine

[

There you are!! I was wondering where you had gone off to. :)

I really like gu 21, doesn't matter wat them GU messageboard psychos think...lol

Loraine

I notice something dating back about 1 year.......anytime there is a relative consensus on the GU board that a particular release isn't that good, it ends up being one of my favorite comps, two examples being Seaman - Cape Town and Warren - Amsterdam. Conversely, whenever there is mega-hype and endless prattling about how great _____ DJ is by some of the proggy-indie-snob posters over there who think they know everything there is to know about dance music, the release bores the crap out of me (Digweed - LA and LB NB5)

warren's track selections are usually tight...the mixing is another story...ouch! however, his live sets are always fun.

as for dave, i became a seaman fan after hearing him at crobar in april. what a freak'n on set... liked almost every track even the obvious ones.

to each; their one. thats why there is chocolate AND vanilla ice cream.

Originally posted by digital7

I'd have to agree with you Patrick, I thought Warren's Amsterdam and Seaman's Cape Town were very, very good. I do however, think that Digweed LA is one of the best that I've heard. Guess beauty lies within the ear holder?

Fair enough. For me it's just that compared to every other Digweed mix comp I own.......I dunno, I have a difficult time justifying popping in LA when I can listen to Bedrock or Hong Kong. I think it has a very clinical sound whereas something like Amsterdam, though maybe a little rough around the edges as is Warren's way, it has a beautiful slow build on CD1 and generally seems to settle into this live, excited, *punchy* feel.

As for Seaman, he's been my favorite DJ for a long time. In my mind, he's the sorceror of the "pretty music," the guy who weaves the intricate melodic webs, a guy who stubbornly refuses to bow to any specific trend or movement while borrowing from all of them. I can't believe that not too long ago, we actually had the chance to see him spin as a monthly Groovejet resident to a oft-modest but highly clued up crowd. I didn't get to see him THAT many times on those nights, unfortunately, but the times I did go.........damn those were great nights......I remember it not being the usual dress to impress crowd......it was extremely relaxed and friendly and you actually had enough room to dance for much of the night.......

wow!! you just brought chills to my bones.... those nights at groovejet were the highlight of my life in the scene thus far. Those were the events that really put bliss on the map and molded me as a dj..being able to play monthly side by side with the master none other than dave seaman......what an honor that was.....and how about groovejet...the vibe in that place was second to none....by far those were some of the best nights of my life and some of the best nights miami has seen....remember daves birthday party a few years back....dave, myself and slacker with nicole henry singing happy birthday to dave along with the entire crowd.....what a memory!!!!

I caught the DH CD on Proton Radio...I didn't want to leave for my day job that morning. Hmm....XM radio is out, and acc'd to the scuttlebutt, there's some killer dance stations on it...we could rig up a Bliss XM station...nationwide, online, the whole bit.

Jon, can ya get Danny H down here anytime soon? :)

Originally posted by patrickl

Fair enough. For me it's just that compared to every other Digweed mix comp I own.......I dunno, I have a difficult time justifying popping in LA when I can listen to Bedrock or Hong Kong. I think it has a very clinical sound whereas something like Amsterdam, though maybe a little rough around the edges as is Warren's way, it has a beautiful slow build on CD1 and generally seems to settle into this live, excited, *punchy* feel.

As for Seaman, he's been my favorite DJ for a long time. In my mind, he's the sorceror of the "pretty music," the guy who weaves the intricate melodic webs, a guy who stubbornly refuses to bow to any specific trend or movement while borrowing from all of them. I can't believe that not too long ago, we actually had the chance to see him spin as a monthly Groovejet resident to a oft-modest but highly clued up crowd. I didn't get to see him THAT many times on those nights, unfortunately, but the times I did go.........damn those were great nights......I remember it not being the usual dress to impress crowd......it was extremely relaxed and friendly and you actually had enough room to dance for much of the night.......

I couldn't agree with you more Patrick. I was very, very fourtunate enough to catch Dave during his residency @ Groove Jet. He has been and always will be one of my favorite dj's, hand's down. He has a certain mystique, an aura to him. He know's how to work the crowd to a tee and NEVER disappoints. Now that we're talking about Dave @ Groove Jet, I'll never forget the time he dropped down his own remix of Sun Is Shining and started singing along to the lyrics. Geez, that brought chills down my spine that night and still dose just thinking about it. Damn, I miss those nights .....