Clubplanet Nightlife Community

what does "trainspotting" mean?

weyes

on a side note,, in the movie trainspotting, it was called that (as I understand it) because trainspotting is something that bums do to pass the time, seeing if they can get all the numbers of the trains. Irvine Welsh decided to call his novel Trainspotting, because he felt that, much like doing heroin, the bums were doing something completely useless.

I read the book before I saw the movie..and the book was so much better..written in a way that one has to really focus and concentrate on each word because it is written exactly how the characters speak.

One of my all-time favorite movies..luv it.

i thought trainspotting meant knowing your shit, but i dunno...

people also call trainspotters those idiots that sit next to the DJ and look at every record to ID the songs...

SOOOOOOOOOO what we learned today is.... I am not a trainspotter cause I rarely go up to the booth to look or ask for a song. Only if the song is extremely good do I bother and that's only sometimes. Otherwise, it's all off my memory.....

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by funkyfreshdc

lol

In the movie, trainspotting was a reference to shooting up. Your veins are 'train tracks' and the bumps u get from sticking a needle in one spot too many times is a 'train station'. Hence the name 'trainspotting' for a movie revolving around heroin use.

FF

actually funkyfreshdc...

the young lady above...rothko...had it right the first time...the name actually comes from bums that sit next to traintracks and watch the trains roll by, and i got that straight from the horse's mouth (an interview w/ Irvine Welsh i read)...but that is not to say that there aren't any connections to what you referenced above

hm....well if its from the horse's mouth :P

i was living in the UK at the time of the movie's release and that (see my last post) was the common interpretation of "trainspotting".

not that popular belief is ever right about anything. but i'd be surprised if Welsh hadn't explored this definition also when he chose the title.