Clubplanet Nightlife Community

A comment about 93.1....

sgtfury

Every one seems to be in a buzz regarding the new radio station in miami....ive listened to it and yes..in one 3 hour time period, i did hear "castles in the sky" 3 times...it is kind of cheesy..but...everyone shouldnt be so down on the station and im going to explain why...

it seems that most of us share a love for "dance" music...whether it be house, trance, jungle, tribal, d&B, techno, dub

for myself, I almost never listen to the radio because there really isnt a station that plays anything i like..(sometimes im able to catch a 1 or 2 hour show on the FIU station..but its rare)...so, im left to listen to my CD's and tapes i make of myself spinning...as a result, I have all of my tapes and CD's memorized..sometimes it gets boring...ive longed for a radio station that specialized in "underground dance"...

93.1 has been playing some cheesy shit...but...i also heard some Derb and some really old house tunes today too....it seems they are really lost as far as programming....Right now..its the only station in Miami "specializing" in "dance" music...maybe, with a little public voiced opinion, they could move toward a more less cheesy format and actually turn into something pretty good...it really baffles me that Miami of all places only has Power 96.....it seems like it would be a haven for a "underground dance music" radio station....

Everyone should try to call the station and request tracks worth hearing, maybe that will lead the station in a better direction and we'll hear more tunes we love so much.

I actually like castles in the sky, but itz way passed its time on the airwaves.

Originally posted by sgtfury

Every one seems to be in a buzz regarding the new radio station in miami....ive listened to it and yes..in one 3 hour time period, i did hear "castles in the sky" 3 times...it is kind of cheesy..but...everyone shouldnt be so down on the station and im going to explain why...

it seems that most of us share a love for "dance" music...whether it be house, trance, jungle, tribal, d&B, techno, dub

for myself, I almost never listen to the radio because there really isnt a station that plays anything i like..(sometimes im able to catch a 1 or 2 hour show on the FIU station..but its rare)...so, im left to listen to my CD's and tapes i make of myself spinning...as a result, I have all of my tapes and CD's memorized..sometimes it gets boring...ive longed for a radio station that specialized in "underground dance"...

93.1 has been playing some cheesy shit...but...i also heard some Derb and some really old house tunes today too....it seems they are really lost as far as programming....Right now..its the only station in Miami "specializing" in "dance" music...maybe, with a little public voiced opinion, they could move toward a more less cheesy format and actually turn into something pretty good...it really baffles me that Miami of all places only has Power 96.....it seems like it would be a haven for a "underground dance music" radio station....

I pretty much agree.....it's obvious that they are finding their way, and might well respond to some public opinion. It's worth a try. Frankly, I am kind of growing attached to this station; I think it's pretty cool the way they lay the smackdown to Power 96 every 20 minutes!! :laugh:

Originally posted by sgtfury

If you are a trance fan...the castles in the sky remix is a hype tune....(its not the one they play on power 96 all the time)

Yeah I notice it is a bit different.......I am actually hearing Hide U even more than Castles in the Sky. I also heard Modjo - Lady quite a few times today. I'm surprised I have not heard Spiller-Groovejet yet......I'm sure they have played it but I haven't yet heard it. Rapture is getting plenty of spins. I'm surprised they aren't playing any BT yet.

FM is dead. I personally would not want to open an FM station anymore. With XM already on the air, terrestrial digital radio, and wireless mobile broadband coming up fast, I'd just open an internet-based broadcast system, and target the mobile market.

The next 10 years may just see the ClearChannels and SFX, Inc's crying in their beer, and corps like XM, as well as little outfits like Proton kicking ass.

I tuned in 93.1, and it's not horrid, but still what I expect from a radio station...lowest common denominator rules.

Plus, with FCC regs, how the hell are you supposed to enjoy it? Suppose 93.1 went out on a limb and broadcasted an Oscar G set? The minute Dirty Bitch or Frank Sinatra got dropped, they have to pull the plug.

Yeah, I have little faith in conventional media nowadays. I tune in TV for The Simpsons, Family Guy, Star Trek, and CNN. That's about it.

Radio, I just tune in Howard, then I shut it off.

well the staton is owned by cox stations,which aslo ownes hot 105@ the coast 97.3. There is no one working or taking any type of promo's. give it 3 weeks or so they will start playing the new stuff(so i was told). plus we need a station just dedicaded to dance music know matter what the format is. Is good for every one who is invalved with dance music....

A good station can only operate outside of FCC jurisdiction...Grooveradio did for many years, always on the move..until Power 96 decided to make a concentrated effort to shut them down, seeing them as competition to their then-new push towards the dance scene.

That's why I stand firm behind my faith in alternative broadcast methods..

Cox, ewww!

Well thanks to sgtfury my opinion has diverted a little bit....Let us as Club Planet members call the station, suggest new ideas, make it better for Miami and that other station...whats it called?????? oh nevermind not important. Rebel for what we wanna hear!!!!!!! MUSIC IS LIFE!!!.....

hey rob.....keep calling man...lol

There is a lot of radio friendly dance music that the station isn't playing........Basement Jaxx "romeo," Planet Funk "chasing the sun," Roger Sanchez "another chance," Danny Tenaglia's remix of "I feel loved!" Put these tracks into heavy rotation and I'll listen.

Originally posted by pod

A good station can only operate outside of FCC jurisdiction...Grooveradio did for many years, always on the move..until Power 96 decided to make a concentrated effort to shut them down, seeing them as competition to their then-new push towards the dance scene.

That's why I stand firm behind my faith in alternative broadcast methods..

Cox, ewww!

:laugh: :laugh:

your absolutely right Pod

Originally posted by joeygk

There is a lot of radio friendly dance music that the station isn't playing........Basement Jaxx "romeo," Planet Funk "chasing the sun," Roger Sanchez "another chance," Danny Tenaglia's remix of "I feel loved!" Put these tracks into heavy rotation and I'll listen.

You're right, they could stand to add more radio-friendly house cuts. For that matter, why not Baz - Believers, Jean Jacques Smoothie - 2 People, Kings Of Tomorrow - Finally, or the Creamer/K mix of iio - rapture? Science Dept - Breathe would work....

I think 93.1 has to be the most pitiful trendy idea I've ever heard of. The way they diss Power96 every five minutes is a joke because not only do they play the same songs (count how many times you'll hear "Hide You" and that cheesy remix of Enrique Iglesias in one hour), but they also play the songs that Power played to death and threw in the garbage already. They should call themselves "93.1 ... Power96's recycling bin resurrected!".

New station identification for 93.1:

"Are you 45? Living in Hialeah? Going through a midlife crisis and looking toward x and glowsticks as a way to help you get younger chicks? Well...we're the station for you. 93.1, party music for pre-entry level clubbers. We took the dj out of dance music".

Peace,

Rich

http://www.InsomniacRecords.com

Originally posted by jasp182

"Are you 45? Living in Hialeah? Going through a midlife crisis and looking toward x and glowsticks as a way to help you get younger chicks? Well...we're the station for you. 93.1, party music for pre-entry level clubbers. We took the dj out of dance music".

Peace,

Rich

Yeah- I have to agree w/ you on this one. The station is a lil' heavy on cheezy dance remixes- aimed at the older top 40 crowd! It would be nice to have a US version of radio 1 in the UK, broadcasting essential mixes and live djs- however it's never gonna happen.

Peace,

Rich

:laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

couldnt agree with you more

btw, Joey, only if we could have a Radio 1 here in the states, that seems like a far fetched cruel joke

I think 93.1 has to be the most pitiful trendy idea I've ever heard of. The way they diss Power96 every five minutes is a joke because not only do they play the same songs (count how many times you'll hear "Hide You" and that cheesy remix of Enrique Iglesias in one hour), but they also play the songs that Power played to death and threw in the garbage already. They should call themselves "93.1 ... Power96's recycling bin resurrected!".

Peace,

Rich

DAMN JASP THAT SHIT WAS FUNNY AND THAT WAS YOUR FIRST POST?? AWESOME .IM GOING TO LIKE YOU .MY KIND OF HUMOR...OH BY THE WAY EVERYONE HERE HATES ME

CUZ I MAKE QUESTIONABLE JOKES AND SAY IT LIKE IT IS WELCOM

GOOD START:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

YEAH ILL AGREE WITH YOU.

HERES THE DEAL

YES ITS CHEESY

AND YES THESE SONGS SUUUCK

BUT

ITS A START

THERES NO WAY MIAMI SHOULD HAVE ONE STATION WHERE IT PLAYS "DANCE" MUSIC

JUST THE FACT THEY RIP POWER 96 (ALTHOUGH NOT CLASSY) IS ENOUGH FOR ME TO SUPPORT THEM

What up Beyondo...

I guess I'm a bit of a smart ass, and I know people don't like that around message boards (or at least when you go against the grain). I just think the station is a joke. Not sure how long any of you have been around the SFL dance scene (when it was underground or otherwise), but about 6 years ago we had a great pirate station in Kendall (a dude named X who let dj's get on and do their thing, and he played some dope underground stuff rotating when there were no dj's), two of them on the beach (Womb 107.1, Beach Radio 96.9)...it was dope. The Womb got bumrushed by the FCC, and the rest is history.

I consider this station a joke...they diss 96 constantly, and they barely have a leg to stand on. A "dance" station is NOT what Miami needs if it's gonna be like that..."dance" music is trendy and watered down enough in Miami, dontcha think?

Think forward...electronic dance music and the surrounding scene is an ALTERNATIVE to pop music, not an extension of it.

Peace,

Rich

you know, what the hell are you doing kicking anything that has to do with dance music... you should be calling the sation with your sugestions .. Now we dont have to wait for the (under ground hour)(the late night lab..) to hear the music we love. I am sick of people who only listen to music becuz it is labled "under ground". I dont care what mix of what ever song that they play. the point is that they are playing it. so pull your head from out of your asses and relize that the future is dance music .It may get alittle cheesy... Listen the first time your heard house music you do not think it was a bit cheesy???????For people who dont go to space or clubs, 93.1 will give them some insite of the music.Iit mite get there juices flowing. It might get that dj a spot in a new club or it may cuase a business man/women to open up a new venue. cuase and effect, ying and yang, black and white . get the picture?????

Actually my father had a pair of 1200s and a Numark mixer when I was growing up.

But anyway, we're being critical because we expect something better from a radio station claiming to be something, but not delivering...

Frankly I could give a shit about 93.1 as it stands right now. They've got 30 days to shape up, in my mind...

Like I said before, FM radio is dead. Anyone with half a brain knows that, just maybe uses it to catch the news, and tosses in a CD once that's over.