Weds Jan 9th

DJs:

Jan 9th:

Liquid Todd

Miss Bliss

Mike Robinson

Level X

107 North 6th Street in Williamsburg

(2 blocks from Bedford Ave L train station)

free, 21+

After a long draught, BitterSweet Breaks started a few months ago as the first breaks night in New York City.

There are a few places here and there in NYC that feature breaks mixed with techno, DnB, 2step or other genres. But BitterSweet Breaks will be purely breaks, the best of all flavors.

There’s only one other breaks night in town (Daybreak) and its done by the same people

anim-jjd.gifanim-jjd.gifanim-jjd.gifanim-jjd.gifanim-jjd.gif

Word! Breakz have long been a secret in this city. Terry Casey tries to bring it into the glam houses but it still has a long way to go. It's all good! Breaks are best heard when surrounded with breaks headz. knowhatI'm sayin? House/trance heads can't touch it. They just won't get it! Which is what makes it a special sound for special people yo! right up there with Electro and shit!

Originally posted by brooklynkid

nice! i used to spin there all the time. We should all go check it out, and show the hipsters of Williamsburg that they aren't alone.

can you tell i'm bitter that my hood has been overrun? :D

yes, i can.

but i'll still venture to the other side of the tracks for this one.

nice! i used to spin there all the time. We should all go check it out, and show the hipsters of Williamsburg that they aren't alone.

can you tell i'm bitter that my hood has been overrun? :D

admit it mike...you know youre a BIT grateful for them making our hood at least livable...

as for this party...shit...if i was home, afterparty would be at my place (level X is down the street from where i live)...but im in philly, so have fun w/o me!!

oh and trancend::during the week, the club is usually empty and no one is outside checking IDs....I usually just walk right in (and remember, im still underage)...so give it a shot and see what happens...

Originally posted by highmay

admit it mike...you know youre a BIT grateful for them making our hood at least livable...

this is true...it wasn't fun to walk around here in 1980....

Now if only I didn't feel like such an "outsider" in my own hood, like at the bars and stuff. I'll have to try to change that...

I am calling for more CP parties in 11211 :D

this is true...it wasn't fun to walk around here in 1980....

Now if only I didn't feel like such an "outsider" in my own hood, like at the bars and stuff. I'll have to try to change that...

I am calling for more CP parties in 11211 :D

only LEVEL X makes moves...bring them your demo and talk to CP and see what happens...funny how WillyB is so ultra hip and theres no good promoters around...

Originally posted by highmay

only LEVEL X makes moves...bring them your demo and talk to CP and see what happens...funny how WillyB is so ultra hip and theres no good promoters around...

yes...it's definitely time for that to change. IMO the problem all along has been the lack of interest in "dance" music around here. So far it's been ruled by live bands and more experimental electronic music like IDM.

what i have witnessed firsthand with my experience with level x is that they like to segregate the "hip" (i.e. artists, writers, musicians) from the "unhip" (i.e. people who were born here, polish, puerto ricans...the locals). The owners there are not easy to deal with and they don't really like our kind. They prefer the "hip" clientelle to keep the trendy factor high. It's sad, but true. And yet, when I used to spin the occasional sets for the monthly Record Camp parties, I'd promote it heavily and lots of people would show up (both the hip and unhip) and I'd throw down tech house or tribal or progressive and you know what...everyone loved it. and danced. and spent $$$ all night. So it's possible that level x has some promise..we'll see.

my final word on the ultrahipness of WB is that it's over. Sure you'll always have your artists and musicians somehow managing to live in overpriced lofts, but with the dotcom bust and so many people out of jobs, lots of folks are moving back to Ohio or Wisconsin or wherever they came from. There's just a different look to the hood now...just...emptier. And this tells me it's ripe for the picking. We shouldn't let the area regress to what it was 20 years ago...

yes...it's definitely time for that to change. IMO the problem all along has been the lack of interest in "dance" music around here. So far it's been ruled by live bands and more experimental electronic music like IDM.

what i have witnessed firsthand with my experience with level x is that they like to segregate the "hip" (i.e. artists, writers, musicians) from the "unhip" (i.e. people who were born here, polish, puerto ricans...the locals). The owners there are not easy to deal with and they don't really like our kind. They prefer the "hip" clientelle to keep the trendy factor high. It's sad, but true. And yet, when I used to spin the occasional sets for the monthly Record Camp parties, I'd promote it heavily and lots of people would show up (both the hip and unhip) and I'd throw down tech house or tribal or progressive and you know what...everyone loved it. and danced. and spent $$$ all night. So it's possible that level x has some promise..we'll see.

my final word on the ultrahipness of WB is that it's over. Sure you'll always have your artists and musicians somehow managing to live in overpriced lofts, but with the dotcom bust and so many people out of jobs, lots of folks are moving back to Ohio or Wisconsin or wherever they came from. There's just a different look to the hood now...just...emptier. And this tells me it's ripe for the picking. We shouldn't let the area regress to what it was 20 years ago...

. . . I'd be willing to brave the triboro every day to get to Yonkers if the price of lodgings was right , but then again it's looking like I'm gonna be trapped in Harrison for at least another Year . . :mad: . . . cause I got drafted into helping my family out . . but all in due time . . I can work on my certs and finish my degree . . then work and live in the city . . simple right? . . LOL . . .

. . . Brooklyn is such a cool universe in and of itself . . I wanna live in Brooklyn . . :( . . .

. . . You have a great point about the economics of it all . . . I would be willing to say that Real Estate in the City and areas surrounding ( including westchester and Nassau) are going to fall markedly within the next 12 to 18 months . . . This would be a great time to start saving money for future real estate investment . . . . I mean, give me a break here . . there are people asking $1200 a month for a single bedroom in a not so nice part of Yonkers . . . prices like that cannot stay afloat . . .