Clubplanet Nightlife Community

House and Garage

vicman

I got hit with this question.

Whats the difference between House and Garage? I mean music, not that the fuckin' garage is the part of the house you put your car in..... :D :D

I suppose it has to do with the BPM or some sh*t like that, but what is the "official" difference between the 2?

Originally posted by zaguero

I THINK it has something to do with the clubs Warehouse in Chicago and Paradise Garage in NYC. Both clubs developed their own distinctive sounds of dance music while it was developing. What are the differences? I dunno:confused:

I was always under the impression that the music to come from each club was actually similar. I don't know, because I've never heard any music called garage other than 2-step UK Garage.

Originally posted by Kuro

I don't know, because I've never heard any music called garage other than 2-step UK Garage.

Which, by the way, is pronounced to rhyme with "carriage".

And, apparently, we stupid Americans also butcher poor Sasha's name as well. It should be pronounced the same way you would say "gash".

Just my bloody 2 pence. Or should I say, £0.02 :D These English keyboards are wierd. They have £ where they should have $. Those stupid British and their lack of ability to recognize that America is superior in every way except for maybe clubbing. :D

And I think Garage is pretty similar to House. And 2-step Garage (pronounced like "carriage", remember) is basically similar to Garage but with a broken beat. I may be making that up, so someone check the facts.

.. . .ok so now i'm the music snob who differentiates b/t genres all the time? mmmkay, gladly :D . . .

actually, i think shady's right. classic house/deep house/chicago house (whateva, the stuff that came first!) is pretty much the same as garage. four on the floor beats. claps every two. 'soulful' vocals. but i think garge peeps like to distinguish it more with R n' B, reggae, gospel. . . . type of tracks and a slower, 'deeper' bassline. . .?

but i know for sure, like shady said, UK garage and 2step are syncopated beats instead. . .hip hop elements, they'll use like faith evans songs or somefink like taht