Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Danny Howells......WHAT'S WRONG WITH HIM?!

Just got back from Vinyl... heard Danny Howells for about an hour.

Why is it that what he spins on compilations and what his spins in the clubs is like NIGHT AND DAY.

where's the funk...where's the melody....where's the tribal rhythms... where's the MUSIC!...i.e. Nocturnal Frequencies compilations, NuBreed, and Revelations CDs. C'mon.

The guy spins stuff I would hear at a rave. I felt like I was in that movie Better Living Through Circuitry. No good.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by mysterynyc

Just got back from Vinyl... heard Danny Howells for about an hour.

Why is it that what he spins on compilations and what his spins in the clubs is like NIGHT AND DAY.

where's the funk...where's the melody....where's the tribal rhythms... where's the MUSIC!...i.e. Nocturnal Frequencies compilations, NuBreed, and Revelations CDs. C'mon.

The guy spins stuff I would hear at a rave. I felt like I was in that movie Better Living Through Circuitry. No good.

yo, no offense kid, but is that all you do is critique the shit outta dj's??? just about every friggin post of yers is about how this dj sucks and that one isnt good enough blah blah blah blah blah blahhhhhhhh....do you work for rolling stone? do you work for AP? do you work for Urb? bro, a dj is a dj. He spins what the fuck he wants..you should know this since your a dj as well. Just cause u buy his records dont mean he is gonna play what mysterynyc wants...he is gonnd play what danny howells wants. Definitely give the critiquing a rest cause you aint gonna make no friends on this board if u keep pointing out all this shit that no one cares about cause all they care about is the fact that they A) danced and B) had a good time, which everyone knows is their sole intention of doing, when they go out to clubs.

I just got back from vinyl, and I had a great time. The music was on most of the night, only a few times I can remember standing around being like "nah...."

I agree with what qouth said, I danced, and I had a great fucking time. Good night all around for me, and i'll check him out again next month.

Originally posted by quoth

yo, no offense kid, but is that all you do is critique the shit outta dj's??? just about every friggin post of yers is about how this dj sucks and that one isnt good enough blah blah blah blah blah blahhhhhhhh....do you work for rolling stone? do you work for AP? do you work for Urb? bro, a dj is a dj. He spins what the fuck he wants..you should know this since your a dj as well. Just cause u buy his records dont mean he is gonna play what mysterynyc wants...he is gonnd play what danny howells wants. Definitely give the critiquing a rest cause you aint gonna make no friends on this board if u keep pointing out all this shit that no one cares about cause all they care about is the fact that they A) danced and B) had a good time, which everyone knows is their sole intention of doing, when they go out to clubs.

. . . Great points quoth. . . there's also another thing, Mystery, that you have to take into account . . . The way music sounds on a large PA system is completely different than what you'd hear on your personal setup at home . . . There are also very drastic differences between the types of PA systems that clubs will use . . . I've heard many a record that has a very driving party vibe, but wouldn't be conducive to being played in a club because the parts that I love about it, usually the intricate harmonies and midrange would get drowned out and warped on a large system . . . The issue of space is also a consideration when choosing records . . . One's record selection for the night at a place like Vinyl would differ than if one were to play a smaller venue like say Baktun or Pseudo . . . the shape and distrobution of the space will determine what kind of "feel" you're driving for . . . Vinyl, for instance is big enough to play big time records, records that scream "big space, big sound" , while at the same time allowing for more intimate house party records . . . to an extent of course . . . A place like Pseudo would be very conducive to playing house part records because the space is alot more compact and tightly shaped . . .

. . . This is probably the reason why he doesn't play the intricate melodic tribal stuff that you want to hear . . . it just wouldn't translate right through the speakers in a space like Vinyl . . .

. . . just my opinion . .

mystery - are you sure you were at vynil?!?

maybe you were listenen to the opening dj who was also off the meter..to bad he was holdin back..you can tell he wanted to bang some shit out..his track selection was tite

as for howells, another nite to remember

The opening DJ, Ashley Casell, was actually quite good. He knew he was the opener and took every opportunity to get the crowd moving till Danny went on around 3am.

As for DH, I had a great time as usual during his set. Though it was pretty much the same as every other set he's played at Vinyl. What I want to know is...WHERE THE FUCK WERE THE BREAKS??? 7am came and went and he didn't throw any down. That's what I was looking forward to so that was my only beef, really.

And what Quoth said is true. If I saw the crowd jumping around like maniacs to every track I played, I'd play whatever I wanted also. Remember, THERE'S A SPECIFIC VINYL SOUND.

Just adding my €2...

Guest tilly
Originally posted by brooklynkid

WHERE THE FUCK WERE THE BREAKS??? 7am came and went and he didn't throw any down.

so what your trying to tell me is that I missed nothing;)

You have to stay for more than an

hour to hear Howells buddy..

I've heard him on a couple ocassions

and was not dissapointed..

(and this is coming from a critic of mediocre music)

The thing about howells is that he starts off

dark..

moves into Funk..

then hits the breaks and

takes you out with an orgasm.

To people who critisize but never

have experienced something I say this:

DON'T KNOCK ANYTHING TILL YOU TRY IT!

Howells surprised me..

and then some!

Originally posted by brooklynkid

The opening DJ, Ashley Casell, was actually quite good. He knew he was the opener and took every opportunity to get the crowd moving till Danny went on around 3am.

I was lucky enough to hear Casselle down here in Miami on Thursday, and Howells on Friday..............both threw down nice sets. I can't even imagine how the two came together. Apparently they're best mates, so I'm sure the beats were stupid-sick!!!!!!!!! I'm not missing next month @Vinyl - I LOVE DANNY HOWELLS!

breaks came is at exactly 7:37 AM. he played an ashtrax track, a soul of man track, a pmt track, and some others :D

anyway yeah the night wasnt like perfect or anything but danny had his moments. i think ashley def. stole the show on this evening.

Originally posted by quoth

ok first of all...that's my opinion. secondly, I go to a club and pay $25 expecting to hear something as well as dance. If I'm not feeling the music, I'm not going to be too inclined to dance. It's all about setting a certain vibe.

The reason people come to see a certain DJ in a club that they like, is because they've heard his CDs and they like his sound.

But if his sound is COMPLETELY different at the club, its kind of a waste of $$.

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . . Great points quoth. . . there's also another thing, Mystery, that you have to take into account . . . The way music sounds on a large PA system is completely different than what you'd hear on your personal setup at home . . . There are also very drastic differences between the types of PA systems that clubs will use . . . I've heard many a record that has a very driving party vibe, but wouldn't be conducive to being played in a club because the parts that I love about it, usually the intricate harmonies and midrange would get drowned out and warped on a large system . . . The issue of space is also a consideration when choosing records . . . One's record selection for the night at a place like Vinyl would differ than if one were to play a smaller venue like say Baktun or Pseudo . . . the shape and distrobution of the space will determine what kind of "feel" you're driving for . . . Vinyl, for instance is big enough to play big time records, records that scream "big space, big sound" , while at the same time allowing for more intimate house party records . . . to an extent of course . . . A place like Pseudo would be very conducive to playing house part records because the space is alot more compact and tightly shaped . . .

. . . This is probably the reason why he doesn't play the intricate melodic tribal stuff that you want to hear . . . it just wouldn't translate right through the speakers in a space like Vinyl . . .

. . . just my opinion . .

Actually thats not true. When I heard Satoshi Tomiie or Luis Diaz, they dropped tracks like Ubu - Pixels....sounded perfect. That's totally irrelevant. If anything, Vinyl is small enough where it will project the intricate sounds better.

It was my first time seeing Howells since Labor Day...he never blew me away as he did at the loft party, but last night he did redeemed himself, although he did lose my interest by 6:30 or so...i felt like he dragged on at times...He was throwing down some of the best techno i haven't heard in a long time though...some of the nice melodic he snuck in was a nice touch but sounded too much like what Oakenfold would spin. . .

He sure knows how to get the crowd moving and it shows that he enjoys doing it. . .

Ashley Casselle definitely stole the show...I got there when it opened and he was already banging it, started off really smooth then he progressed in some tech house then really started to rip shit up. . .then he began to end his set with some great trance....his last track was his own production, Ashtrax - Digital Reason (filterheadz remix)...

In my opinion, Howells couldn't top Casselle's opening set...I ended the night around 7am when they started to tag team and the discoish sounding tracks they started to drop wasn't gonna convince my tired ass to stay. . .

Casselle Blew shit up and I hope he comes back again. . .

Howells was good, not great

Vibe was awesome, i knew almost everyone in there

Vinyl still sucks cause of the annoying siren, lights, too damn dark, and the sound system still has to go. . .

Six bucks for red bull, wtf?

Great night overall, people who didn't go missed out. . .

well i finally broke my Vinyl cherry

Howells was awesome. The opening dj was great too. It was one of those nights where i couldnt stop dancing. everytime i sat down, i would start bobbing my head and stomping my feet to the beats. i also kept having flashbacks of Turnmills in London.

say what you want about Howells, but all i have to say is that he is the fucking man!

:D