Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DOES NEW YORK JUST NOT GET BREAKS!!?? (The rest of the world gets it!)

Originally posted by launch

Im sorry, Icey's tracks suck. I have seen him spin more than any other dj and I do have to admit, he is awesome live. No band wagon jumping, I lived in Florida and I still dont like him that much. Rob-E is dope, Rick West's Flavored beats cds are dope too. If you guys like breaks like that, check out Dj Merlyn, IMO the best breaks dj in Florida. Man no one has even mentioned djs like Johnny Dangerously, Storm, R-Fresh, Infiniti, Sandy, Huda Hudia, etc....

you forgot Friction and Spice . . . aaaah . . memories . . .

also :

Defcon 6

Beyond and Back

C4 and Bnice

CDEE and Dove

Mike and Charlie

DJ Gumbee

Three

Red Void

AGH

Sharaz

LoveClub

Merlyn

Jasp 182

Dynamix II

Jackyl and Hyde

Scratch D and H-bomb

City Wide All Stars

Richard F

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by phuturephunk

you forgot Friction and Spice . . . aaaah . . memories . . .

also :

Defcon 6

Beyond and Back

C4 and Bnice

CDEE and Dove

Mike and Charlie

DJ Gumbee

Three

Red Void

AGH

Sharaz

LoveClub

Merlyn

Jasp 182

Dynamix II

Jackyl and Hyde

Scratch D and H-bomb

City Wide All Stars

Richard F

HAHA I could I forget Jasp and Funklab?? Andy Hughes just doesnt do it for me anymore. Yeah "Yummy" is probably one of the best breaks tracks ever written, but most of his other shit sucks IMO, and he isnt great live. Never heard of Love Club or Richard F, are they worth checking out? Where did you live in Florida?

U know what it may be, Maudy? Just guessing here but maybe it's the fact that most of the breaksheads I'm running into here are either from Fla, overseas, or somewhere else in the US. I don't think the music has really laid down any roots yet among native NYers, and it's gonna take a long time since house (including NY garage), dnb, trance, and to a lesser extent techno, even 2 step are all much better established here. This is probably stuff you all know already, but it's just something to keep in mind I guess.

HAHA I could I forget Jasp and Funklab?? Andy Hughes just doesnt do it for me anymore. Yeah "Yummy" is probably one of the best breaks tracks ever written, but most of his other shit sucks IMO, and he isnt great live. Never heard of Love Club or Richard F, are they worth checking out? Where did you live in Florida?

. . Richard F is short for Richard FUck . . . It's an old Tree Joint fronted by icey . . . he only did a couple of tracks, and they're very rare . . . Icey used his notable one on his "The Funky Breaks" set . .it's right before "sign" by Sign of the Times . . .

. . LoveClub is one of Chris and Perry Domingo's (CDEE and Dove) team ups on DB recordings . . I would definitely check out stuff by them . . actually I'd recommend anything off of DB recordings. . . They were the only ones in Orlando , along with Beyond and Back and the like to release good Orlando Funk/Intelligent breaks . . their tracks never dissapointed . . .

I lived in Orlando from 91 to late 2000 . . . Longwood to be more exact . . . it's about 10 miles north of the City . . .

. . . How I do miss my island city in the sea of trees . . .

Originally posted by breaksny

U know what it may be, Maudy? Just guessing here but maybe it's the fact that most of the breaksheads I'm running into here are either from Fla, overseas, or somewhere else in the US. I don't think the music has really laid down any roots yet among native NYers, and it's gonna take a long time since house (including NY garage), dnb, trance, and to a lesser extent techno, even 2 step are all much better established here. This is probably stuff you all know already, but it's just something to keep in mind I guess.

. . . I agree wholeheartedly . . . A funny thing I've noticed is that the warmer the climate, the more propensity there is for breakers to emerge . . . There's pockets of the breaker scene in Arizona, not to mention Texas and up and down California. . . Must be that sunshine . . .

. . . It's also kinda funny that New York has almost no breaker scene, considering the fact that the Godfather of Electro, Afrika Bambaataa is from this city . . .

. . all in time . . all in time . . . eventually we will have our day . . .

. . . and eventually I WILL MOVE INTO NYC SO I CAN ACTUALLY GO OUT ON THE WEEKDAYS WHEN ALL THIS COOL STUFF IS GOING ON . . . arrghh . . . :mad: . . .:tongue: . . .

. . Richard F is short for Richard FUck . . . It's an old Tree Joint fronted by icey . . . he only did a couple of tracks, and they're very rare . . . Icey used his notable one on his "The Funky Breaks" set . .it's right before "sign" by Sign of the Times . . .

. . LoveClub is one of Chris and Perry Domingo's (CDEE and Dove) team ups on DB recordings . . I would definitely check out stuff by them . . actually I'd recommend anything off of DB recordings. . . They were the only ones in Orlando , along with Beyond and Back and the like to release good Orlando Funk/Intelligent breaks . . their tracks never dissapointed . . .

I lived in Orlando from 91 to late 2000 . . . Longwood to be more exact . . . it's about 10 miles north of the City . . .

. . . How I do miss my island city in the sea of trees . . .

Holy shit I thought I knew a lot about breaks, bro you make me feel like an idiot lol. I remember going to Cyberzone and Icon in Orlando a few times to see icey and Debbie D. Did you ever go to Simon's for a party? Man I miss that place, by far the best vibe out of any place Ive been. The Gemini parties were always interesting....Im definatley going to check those artists out. Since I moved back here I have been really out of the scene in FL. Every year I will fly down for a really big party and visit with friends, but thats about it.

Oh, another artist/group i recommend is the Spacemen. Umbelievable live act, who also produces tracks. They have a website, innervisionmusic.com. They have some other good artists on the webpage worth checking out, Cosmic Baby, Trip Theory, and Dj Messiah.

Hmm I think it's a bunch of factors, allot of people just haven't had much exposure to breaks. They got into heither hard house or progressive trance. And progressive trance is a long way from breaks. HEll I think allot of people would be shocked to hear straight electronica these days, and I dunno if thats a hallmark to how far we've come or how much we've lost. Lots of people don't like anything that doesn't hold melody.

Now for me personally I like breaks, but it almost harkens more back to trip-hop or hip-hop for me, I can definately see a house relation as wel, but it's not as hard in the same way, and hey let's face it some poeple don't even like hip-hop or at least came to techno to get a break from it and we all know NYC is one of the hearts of hiphop. HEll it all began here so that's gonna take allot away from breaks as well..

I dunno it would be cool if we had more groundswell for it be cool to see it garner some more attention around here.

:cool:

Holy shit I thought I knew a lot about breaks, bro you make me feel like an idiot lol. I remember going to Cyberzone and Icon in Orlando a few times to see icey and Debbie D. Did you ever go to Simon's for a party? Man I miss that place, by far the best vibe out of any place Ive been. The Gemini parties were always interesting....Im definatley going to check those artists out. Since I moved back here I have been really out of the scene in FL. Every year I will fly down for a really big party and visit with friends, but thats about it.

Oh, another artist/group i recommend is the Spacemen. Umbelievable live act, who also produces tracks. They have a website, innervisionmusic.com. They have some other good artists on the webpage worth checking out, Cosmic Baby, Trip Theory, and Dj Messiah.

. . nah nah nah . . I'm not that good at name dropping either . . . It pretty much goes like this for me : I associate the song with the art on the front of the record . . . so when I'm flipping through my records I just hear it travelling through my mind . . . . I usually learn the names later, after I've spent hours fucking with them on the decks . . . The ones that make me go "OOOHH!!" are the ones that I remember . . .

. . Spacemen rawk . . I saw them live at the last massive I went to down in Melbourne before I left Florida . . . They were all dressed up in their requisite alien costumes up on stage . . . I could have sworn they were like 8 feet tall . . it was sooo cool!. . .

I also saw Trip Theory at the same show . . all I can say is I've never seen so many people start jumping then when they dropped "Times Up" . . . WOWWIEEE!!! . . . . I'm not to familliar with Cosmic Baby and Dj Messiah . . . although cosmic baby sound's really really familliar. . .

. . . I barely remember the zone, my friends and I used to go to this weekly thing down in the Tourist district . . It was our local haunt . .I've been to the zone, but lets just say I don't remember much of it . . . I've also been to simon's once . . years and years ago . . before Gainesville decided to crack down on it with quality of life ordinances . . . Seems like that's the norm in Florida . . . There's not that much going on from what my friends tell me . . . Daytona is the major exception . . . I do believe 600 is still going strong . . Orlando is dead . . I mean, it was dying when I was there over a year ago and I can't imagine it's getting any better. . . there is one party going on out on the west side . . .a successor the compression parties that I used to go to . . but that's about it . . .

. . . I don't know about Tampa either . . . I used to go down to the Rubb to see DJ's when the came to town . . . Ybor City used to rawk . . . Saw Rabbit in the moon down there too . . . They closed the Rubb, which sucked cause it had the greatest sound reinforcement system I've heard to date . . . I haven't heard a phazon system, but I'm sure theirs could have kept up . . .

. . Spacemen rawk . . I saw them live at the last massive I went to down in Melbourne before I left Florida . . . They were all dressed up in their requisite alien costumes up on stage . . . I could have sworn they were like 8 feet tall . . it was sooo cool!. . .

I also saw Trip Theory at the same show . . all I can say is I've never seen so many people start jumping then when they dropped "Times Up" . . . WOWWIEEE!!! . . . . I'm not to familliar with Cosmic Baby and Dj Messiah . . . although cosmic baby sound's really really familliar. . .

Could you possibly be talking about Cyberfest in Melbourne? The party with THE best lineup Ive ever seen?? I remember walking around in that mall for hours trying to figure out what fuckin room I was in and who was spinning where. One word - DEEPSKY, unbelievable live act. I wish we could get that tour to stop somewhere in NYC.

I actually left Florida in 99, before Gainesville really cracked down. It really sucks because Florida is such a huge state, and the big parties are so few and far between. If you live north of Orlando you have to travel hours and hours just to go to a party.

Tampa....went to Ybor a few times to Fantasy Ranch, and one other place. Dj Santana was one of my favorites, Im not sure what ever happened to him. That was a really fun city...

Could you possibly be talking about Cyberfest in Melbourne? The party with THE best lineup Ive ever seen?? I remember walking around in that mall for hours trying to figure out what fuckin room I was in and who was spinning where. One word - DEEPSKY, unbelievable live act. I wish we could get that tour to stop somewhere in NYC.

I actually left Florida in 99, before Gainesville really cracked down. It really sucks because Florida is such a huge state, and the big parties are so few and far between. If you live north of Orlando you have to travel hours and hours just to go to a party.

Tampa....went to Ybor a few times to Fantasy Ranch, and one other place. Dj Santana was one of my favorites, Im not sure what ever happened to him. That was a really fun city...

. . OMG . . . you went to Cyberfest!!! . . that was the last party I went to before I left Florida . . . I agree totally, Florida is huge, and it's such a conducive place to our type of scene . . almost too conducive at times . . . Think about it . . . Cracked out or not, after a long night of getting sweaty and moving to the music, how cool was it to wake up to 70 degrees plus everymoring . . it was a god send, no shivers at all (which I usually get whether I'm using or not, just because I get soo sweaty) . . .

. . . Fanstasy Ranch. . . I could have sworn I've heard of that place . . if it's what I think it is . . . try Mons Venus . . it IS the end all be all in that type of entertainment . . .

. . .dude, i have this feeling that I've met you before, have you ever been to pseudo? . . .

I think just like with anything else that starts underground, breaks have been treasured by many as their personal underground movement. Now, when people are starting to look at it with a little bit more acceptance, the people who have been there from the beginning are feeling betrayed and let down by their scene. The same thing hapened with rap, goth or punk.

It will pass. I think breaks are good enough to survive for a long time.

. . OMG . . . you went to Cyberfest!!! . . that was the last party I went to before I left Florida . . . I agree totally, Florida is huge, and it's such a conducive place to our type of scene . . almost too conducive at times . . . Think about it . . . Cracked out or not, after a long night of getting sweaty and moving to the music, how cool was it to wake up to 70 degrees plus everymoring . . it was a god send, no shivers at all (which I usually get whether I'm using or not, just because I get soo sweaty) . . .

. . . Fanstasy Ranch. . . I could have sworn I've heard of that place . . if it's what I think it is . . . try Mons Venus . . it IS the end all be all in that type of entertainment . . .

. . .dude, i have this feeling that I've met you before, have you ever been to pseudo? . . .

Bro Cyberfest, despite poor organization and some mishaps, was the best party ive been to. And yeah, walking out of a party in 70 degree weather near the beach was always a plus. No matter how cracked out I got, I could always count on the weather lol.

HAHAHA Nah, Fantasy Ranch was an awesome club that had good talent and parties all the time. And yeah, Mons is quite possibly the best place for..er..that kind of entertainment, besides Scores of course. Ive never been to Pseudo, so I probably havent met you. One of these days Ill stop by, and maybe when I get my tables Ill spin a hot set of FL breaks.

I think thats awesome that a few djs have gotten together to throw a weekly breaks party. These are the trend setters, and Im betting a year from now, because of these Djs, breaks will become an influential part of the NYC scene. I really want to bring some FL djs up here and throw a party, but I think everyone is on the Nu School tip right now. Dont know if the Florida/Trancey breaks have quite caught on yet. I can see the lineup now: Spacemen, Rob-E, Funk Lab, Merlyn, Rick West, Johnny D.......Damn!!

Mike Robinson here. I just hopped on this thread. I'm glad to see everybody liked my set at Pseudo, check out more at my Bittersweet Breaks night this Wednesday.

But I didn't just want to hock my night.

I'm not sure why breaks are such a blind spot here. From the response I'm getting, everybody who gets exposed to the sound loves the music.

I'd guess the main reason is that Breaks isn't really attached to a style & attitude like DnB, House, ElectroClash and other genres. I think this lack of style makes breaks the most musically interesting genre out there, but its hard for a larger audience to understand something that encompasses everything from Hybrid to Mechanoise, to Icey.

Dispite his disparaging comment about my appearance in another thread ;_), I think BreaksNY/Karl, may have a point about the small scene. I get a sense that NYC clubs are about lifestyle more than music, but in smaller scenes that's not true.

In Minneapolis, when there was a funk night, it was all about the Music. Prince, Jimmy Jam, et al. would all show up and check out what was happening. People were dressed up, but the music, not the fashion, was providing the energy. There weren't too many cool nights for music, so it stood out.

Plus, New Yorkers would rather nod their heads in approval, and note an emerging trend, than shake their prada-clad asses!! In a smaller town, if you get a chance to get down, you do!

But it just may be one of those random things in the wonderful mess that is New York City. I mean, why are women DJs 50% of the NYC breaks crew, but not London or other scenes?

-mr

Come to think of it why in the hell did Minneapolis even have a good funk scene? Its gotta be the whitest City in the USA!!! Scenes are pretty random.

Mike didn't you say something on K-Rock about the girls taking dance classes when they were younger as being a possible explanation for the whole female breaks DJ phenomenon in NY, b4 Todd made some dumb joke about it? What did you mean by that anyway? I mean why would that be an explanation? Just wondering cuz Todd didn't give you a chance to make the connection between the 2 things. And is meathead really that disparaging? :tongue:

On a separate note, here's my list of promo cds that I've heard that rock it from NY's local jocks. All tight and highly recommended.

Bittersweet Breaks-Mike Robinson

Epic Breaks-Mike Robinson

Stomping Grounds-K Swing

Sweet n Nasty 2-DJ Shugga (technically a tape)

Nu-school-Electro-Funk-DJ Shugga

DJ Miss Bliss Breaks CD

CER breaks CD (dunno if it actually has a name sorry)

Here-Sarah Walker & Henry J (more breakbeat garage, but who cares? and technically a tape)

Mixtape: Vol 2-DJ Wool

Frosted Breaks-DJ Infinitee

**I haven't heard any recorded material yet from Royce and Atomik Rage but you can't wrong with any of their works either.

Crap did I forget anybody?

One other event to add. It's 5 bux with a flyer (available @ Breakbeat, Satellite, and Throb, among other places), 7 without. 21+, 432 W 14th St , 212-946-2191

Lineup: Bass System

Bolz Bolz (DJ Set)

Monolake (Live)

Prozac

Sara "Doomer" Walker

Satamile

Coin Operated

Breaks System (Deep Dub & Ambient)

Spinoza

Saskai

Eric Q

Aura

It's not that NY is behind. It's just that certain things don't fare well with NY DJ's. I think breaks can be very borderline with freestyle. It is also part of what I believe to be rave culture like D&B, Techno, Trance breakbeats etc. Europe has a tendency to harp on what is the next big thing then abandon it for something else. Ny DJ's try and keep to what has been deeply rooted in dance music for decades. Disco, House R&B, Latin etc. All these elements were fertile ground in creating good danceable house music. Breakbeat has a more european feel to it. The groove has little to do with rhythms that multicultural people of all races can appreciate. Beside time will tell of breaks has the staying power or will it fade to obscurity like many other trendy sounds.

trendy? the broken beat has been around for a long long time. break beats is what influenced jungle (the Amen break, etc etc) and jungle was "hardcore" (which was breakbeat) before it became jungle. i don't know about calling it "trendy"... I mean, a certain style of breakbeat that tends to have certain kinds of sounds in it, yes, maybe.. but breaks, as far as the actual beat is concerned, comes in all shapes and sizes -- you've got a million genres of breaks (nu skool, florida, old school, electro, etc) and plus you hear breakbeats in all kinds of modern music -- pop, funk, etc. breaks has already proven it's staying power just in the fact that break beats exist in so many forms of music. so while "breaks" (the dance music, not general break beats) does have it's own sound and is new, break BEATS ain't goin' no where...

Hmmm...for anyone who's only heard 90s freestyle (assuming you mean Latin freestyle), and not the gems from the 80s, I feel bad for you. The technology's superior in the more recent stuff, but the mixing skills, lyrics, songsmanship, and bpms have just gone down the crapper in the last 10 years. And unforuntately, alot of the more recent crap infected alot of Florida and electrobreaks, even a little of the British stuff too. Though by no means all. I just don't think I've heard a slamming new (meaning not a cover) freestyle track since @ least the mid 90s, maybe longer. Probably why I stopped listening to it around 92 or 93.

You forgot Baby D, D-xtreme, Dave canalte, Kimball Collins, santana, and so on

Bro Cyberfest, despite poor organization and some mishaps, was the best party ive been to. And yeah, walking out of a party in 70 degree weather near the beach was always a plus. No matter how cracked out I got, I could always count on the weather lol.

HAHAHA Nah, Fantasy Ranch was an awesome club that had good talent and parties all the time. And yeah, Mons is quite possibly the best place for..er..that kind of entertainment, besides Scores of course. Ive never been to Pseudo, so I probably havent met you. One of these days Ill stop by, and maybe when I get my tables Ill spin a hot set of FL breaks.

I think thats awesome that a few djs have gotten together to throw a weekly breaks party. These are the trend setters, and Im betting a year from now, because of these Djs, breaks will become an influential part of the NYC scene. I really want to bring some FL djs up here and throw a party, but I think everyone is on the Nu School tip right now. Dont know if the Florida/Trancey breaks have quite caught on yet. I can see the lineup now: Spacemen, Rob-E, Funk Lab, Merlyn, Rick West, Johnny D.......Damn!!