Clubplanet Nightlife Community

History Of House

soldado

Strictly speaking, 'Deep House' is the name give to classic house from Chicago and New York in the same vein as Frankie Knuckles' 1987 LP 'Deep House' from which the name originates. Though I am undoubtedly venturing into highly controversial waters, I will venture to say that currently, deep house has meaning mostly as a counterpoint to more aggressive house sub-genres like hard house. As a name referring to a stand-alone genre, I therefore find 'Deep House' quite meaningless.

The People

Frankie Knuckles the godfather of house in the early eighties, himself a protege of the great late Larry Levan

Todd Terry introduced sampling in house music in the late eighties

Masters At Work Little Louie Vega and Kenny Dope Gonzalez, shaping the nineties

Joe Claussell Organic house, african and latin influence in house music of the late nineties

The Eras

Proto House (1982-1984) The roots, emerging from disco, orchestras become electronics

House 1.0 (1985 - 1992) The beginnings of house, taking its name from the Warehouse in Chicago

The Nineties The present, still called house for lack of a better word

New York gave birth to disco 1.0 and disco 2.0. Two clubs that played a huge role in these musical genres are the Loft in the first phase of disco and the Paradise Garage in the second disco era. New York is also where no wave originated and a city which housed some really good labels like Strata East (jazz), Wackies(reggae) and Salsoul(disco). We love Nuyorican Soul, don't we?

Thats what i recall house was or is..to me

Little Louie Vega use to spin on the radio and broad cast out of clubs like space is trying to do

Recalls the song Work it to the Bone

Being slightly involved in the Detroit Scene in that era (yeah, Im old :( )

I will have to admit, most of the folks that put Detroit Techno on the map had to go to Chicago to actually spin.

They were making the music for each other in Detroit (& Windsor) but had very few places (& few outside influences) locally to showcase it, and thus became more popular in London and Chicago than they were around their home city wich was busy playing the Bangals and Bob Seger.

but tracing music lineage is more difficult and has more loops than a 10th generation Appellation family

Here is an amazing documentary on the origins of House and its evolution through the 90's-

Part I: http://deephousepage.com/pumpupthevolume.ram

and here's part II

http://artlm.com/pumpupthevolume2.ram

I'd recommend copying the shortcut and pasting it into realplayer.

This is the best explanation I've ever seen about House. And some of the interviews - well for you old schooler's you'll be in for some treats

:)

Originally posted by shroomy

Being slightly involved in the Detroit Scene in that era (yeah, Im old :( )

I will have to admit, most of the folks that put Detroit Techno on the map had to go to Chicago to actually spin.

They were making the music for each other in Detroit (& Windsor) but had very few places (& few outside influences) locally to showcase it, and thus became more popular in London and Chicago than they were around their home city wich was busy playing the Bangals and Bob Seger.

yeah, people like Juan Atkins were forced out

I first want to thank you for the brief rewind in time on how house developed.

But I must say one thing why do I feel so old now. I remember all those names and how house music was developing into something in the mid- 80's to what it is now. Especially at the club "Warehouse" There is nothing like it!

:eek::):laugh:

Don't forget acid house -- probably one of the most influential sounds of dance music for what people call "trance."

That sound was tweeking and sweeping with massive electronic chord progressions and analog synths years before record stores even knew what to call it.

New York clubs like Red Zone, Limelight, Tunnel and Mars catered specifically to people who got off on this new sound which is tradinionally about 10 beats per minute slower than a trance song, but equally euphoric.