Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Staten Island question

I heard that certain areas of SI stink because of the Fresh Kill garbage field. if you live around the Staten Island Mall area will the smell be present most of time? i m looking for a house and im consindering Staten Island as well as Edgewater. i also saw a house in Greak Kills. seemed like a decent neighborhood. if i move to Staten Island it will be south of I-278. any advise on S.I will be appreciated.

LOL..actually the smell comes from New Springville. thats where the Fresh Kills park and the SI malls are.. but the area is very nice with many new townhomes and nice shoping centers. i was gonna buy a home there but the smell and the apporximity to the trash field turned me away.

Originally posted by entrepreneur

LOL..actually the smell comes from New Springville. thats where the Fresh Kills park and the SI malls are.. but the area is very nice with many new townhomes and nice shoping centers. i was gonna buy a home there but the smell and the apporximity to the trash field turned me away.

Well New Springville is actaully pretty big. We live pretty close to Willowbrook so where we live it really does not smell at all.

Originally posted by sexxybabyd

Im moving to Staten Island in March. Im Moving to New Springville. In New Springville its really nice and it does not smell at all. Yes there are places near the mall that smell horid and rancid. I don't really know that much bout SI just yet. E-Mail me and Ill ask my bf cause hes from SI and knows about all this stuff

MrsSexyDee@aol.com

the dead of summer when it is 90 degrees out springville smells like rat hole.

the smell goes all the way to bullshead...

...springville is the area around the mall and the mall is across the street from the heart of the dumps...

great kills it matters where you move too..

edgewater up by bay street?

Crack feinds there... I use to make massive amounts of money there...

...info on Staten Island...

HFS

Hero

From

Staten

I'm out

i've never smelled anything anywhere on Hylan. i live far from the dump, all the way by Lily Pond ave. by the verrazanno, but a have family and friends who live much closer to it, around tottenville and also by hylan and richmond ave. the only place where i've ever smelled it is either driving by, or around the mall.

I wouldnt live in SI if I had a choice of it. It does stink like shit in the summer, or at least in the past, I don't know about now since the dump was closed? I live in Westerleigh and you get a nice whiff of it during hot days in the summers. Im moving to NJ when i get home from school, cheaper to live.

In a way...it does kinda smell in alot of places esp during the summer. Ive lived here my whole life. after a while u get use to the smell. I live in great kills, and it's not that bad. as said, sometimes i notice the smell in the summer, but it's a good neighborhood

You really don't get a smell in Greatkills. And yes 99% of greatkills is a very nice area. Sometimes if you live near the water. You will on occasion get the Low Tide smell. Which you get anywhere in the world when the tide is low and seaweed comes up. And the smell even closer to the dumps really isnt as bad as it used to be. Remember you no longer have them working up there so the garbage isnt being turned over constantly like it was in the past. The only place you really get a smell is right near the dumps. And that is when it is 95 degrees plus and if you were anything like me you would not be outside anyway... Too damn humid. Airconditioner is all I want...

Anyway ... Anymore questions let me know. I have lived here for the past 23 years of my 24 year old life...

Scott

thanks for all your honest answers. i thought about moving to SI because many homes are newer and less expensive than other boroughs and the property taxes are very low(for $300K house taxes are around $1800 in NYC as opposed to $6000 in Long island or NJ). well im reconsidering it. i have a very sensitive nose. it's kinda a shame because i think Staten Island has the best looking homes. i think i will move to NJ instead.

exactly how is NJ cheaper than SI?? home property taxes are much chaper in NYC than NJ.

Originally posted by dp80

I wouldnt live in SI if I had a choice of it. It does stink like shit in the summer, or at least in the past, I don't know about now since the dump was closed? I live in Westerleigh and you get a nice whiff of it during hot days in the summers. Im moving to NJ when i get home from school, cheaper to live.

SI is not cheap the houses there are more expensive then NJ. I work in the are of the mall and live in Edison, NJ. What I can tell you is this, the true Staten Islenders are from Mars, half the Island smells, I walked to my car (100 ft) today about 9:45 pm and almost got sick from the smell, anyone who knows SI knows that its worst on some nights then others. My advice is don't move and inch.

I heard that certain areas of SI stink because of the Fresh Kill garbage field. if you live around the Staten Island Mall area will the smell be present most of time? i m looking for a house and im consindering Staten Island as well as Edgewater. i also saw a house in Greak Kills. seemed like a decent neighborhood. if i move to Staten Island it will be south of I-278. any advise on S.I will be appreciated.

:laugh: i thought you quit cp.

i personally wouldnt live in staten island, it is a dump.

Staten island hasn't had bad odor's in about 4 years......the dump is closed. Great kills is a great area. You would have no problems there. but as far as saying house's are cheaper on SI, I think your nuts. you can get a bigger and probably better house in jersey. Besides traffic on staten island is a nightmare. The island is way too small for the amount of people that live there.

you mean it stinks in great kills(On Hylan Blvd near the ocean) during summer too? sh*t.

No actually it's pretty nice over there in the summer time. Some parts of the south shore are over-developed especially by the mall, so I wouldnt recomend it. The edgewater apartments are actually really nice (the ones by the water front?), however the area above it isn't.