Clubplanet Nightlife Community

New Tolls on East river crossing

Originally posted by robocock

Bloomberg is planning to charge tolls on east river crossings in April . that makes my move to NJ even more appealing.

man . . funk that . . . why doesn't he just get the 100 million owed to him by those fucks that leased the rights to the WTC before it went down?. . .

. . great . .the one free way to get into the city from the bronx or from brooklyn to Manhattan is gone . . .

Originally posted by robocock

Bloomberg is planning to charge tolls on east river crossings in April . that makes my move to NJ even more appealing.

Ummm... but there are already tolls coming into the city from Jersey... :blank:

How much are the proposed tolls?

Originally posted by tastyt

. . It better not be more than the crossing on the Henry Hudson . . . a buck 50 is more than enough for the pain of waiting on the FDR . . I pity the people who take the triboro

Does that apply to the Manhattan Bridge too? Cuz if so, ya that'd suck. I thought the Brooklyn Bridge and the GW already had tolls. As for tunnels, I know Brooklyn Battery does, but dunno about the others. Now I'm almost glad I sold my car. And as for the Jersey thing, ya they all have tolls, only the Holland doesn't on the way out of Manhattan (well @ least it didn't last year). So I don't see how moving to Jersey helps. I can understand the city's needs to raise billions each year just to keep its creaking infrastructure operating (especially with all the big coroporations that've fled Manhattan and the way NY state voters shot down that transportation bond issue on the ballot a couple years ago ...I even forgot to vote on it). But ya I'm no fan of corporate welfare either, despite the fact that some tax cuts may be needed to attract certain businesses back into the city to jumpstart the economy.

Originally posted by breaksny

Does that apply to the Manhattan Bridge too? Cuz if so, ya that'd suck. I thought the Brooklyn Bridge and the GW already had tolls. As for tunnels, I know Brooklyn Battery does, but dunno about the others. Now I'm almost glad I sold my car. And as for the Jersey thing, ya they all have tolls, only the Holland doesn't on the way out of Manhattan (well @ least it didn't last year). So I don't see how moving to Jersey helps. I can understand the city's needs to raise billions each year just to keep its creaking infrastructure operating (especially with all the big coroporations that've fled Manhattan and the way NY state voters shot down that transportation bond issue on the ballot a couple years ago ...I even forgot to vote on it). But ya I'm no fan of corporate welfare either, despite the fact that some tax cuts may be needed to attract certain businesses back into the city to jumpstart the economy.

. . . you know. . . I take the Ayn Rand approach . . If you need someone to bail you out, then maybe, just maybe, you don't deserve to be operating in the first place . . . cause it obviously shows that you can't handle shit when stuff comes down the pipe . . .

. . . The great problem here is that we give up money to taxes, just to have the personal invective of the people who tax misallocate the funds. . .

. . . Now I understand that 9/11 is an extroadinary event that has shook the very core of the financial district . . but this is the time for honest businessmen and women to shine and do what they were intended to do along with all others who help: Build . . . . .

yes i know but the one reason i was hesistant to move to NJ is i have to pay tolls and i drive 1-2 times everyday to manhattan. however i think it's fair that they start charge tolls on east river crossings(brooklyn bridge, queensboro bridge, willams and manhattan brigdes) becuase NJ commuters have paid tolls for decades and NY residents haven't. it will also help reduce traffic in manhattan. the propose rates will probably be $3.50 one way just like Midtown tunnel and whistone bridges.

Originally posted by tastyt

why not just take the subway from the bronx or brooklyn, wouldn't that be so much cheaper and easier? at least for a daily commute to work.......

at least it'll be a while before they can build the toll booths.......but think of the construction mess.

does this include the 59th Street Bridge? the entrance from Manhattan is already jammed enough w/out adding tollbooths!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Originally posted by shugabooga

why not just take the subway from the bronx or brooklyn, wouldn't that be so much cheaper and easier? at least for a daily commute to work.......

I'm sure plenty of people will start to do just that... causing more crowding on subways; and at this rate I would hardly be surprised if they decided to raise the rates for tokens and unlimited Metrocards.

Christ... not only is Manhattan unaffordable to live in... pretty soon it's going to cost a small fortune simply to travel into it!

Originally posted by tottallyoff

First of all, This measure needs to be approved by the Legislature and the Governour.

Second, Do you think all the local representatives will let him do it? I think not. Toll is nothing more than a hidden tax on you driving around.

. . It's not even that Mike . . . I look at it from a traffic efficiency standpoint . . . If you put tolls on all the east river crossings the traffic patterns in NYC and the surrounding boroughs will change dramatically .. . . Look, for instance at the Cross Bronx every afternoon . . . The tollbooths that stand at the whitestone, Throgsneck and Triboro act as a valve that stops traffic . . . .the more you constrict movement, the more aniemic the system gets . . . The minor east river crossings and the Williamsburg and Manhattan are free from that valving system, therefore they flow (as best they can) . . if we mess with that . . I don't know what we're gonna do . . .

I live in Brooklyn and have owned a car for a couple of years and I would seriously consider not drving into the city if I had to pay a toll at the 3 lower east crossings (Manhattan, Williamsburg, Brooklyn). Its so easy and convienent to hop over one of those bridges to another part of the same city :rolleyes: I can understand (maybe) if it was like going from NYC to Nyack, b/c that involves going through towns that pay varying taxes. But to live in the same city where you are charged to go over bridges to get to another part of the city, w/o any free alternatives, then that just plain sucks.

As far as the MTA, tastyt is so right on the money, trains will be more crowded that it already is. Plus a fare hike, plus less service (its not like there will be more trains with the fare hike)...Overall, a recipe for pissed off and disgruntled commuters :D.

-Jamms "gottalovenyc" :tongue:

I remember his speach... We will make up our cities deficit without raising taxes... Well here is where he gives us the shaft... I pay $7.00 a day Well $3.20 with easy pass to get back into my own fuc*ing borough every day coming home from work. I am sure by this time in 2 years they will up that to like $9.00. This is bullsh*t... If you are gonna say you are not gonna raise the taxes... Don't screw us on the tolls... What I do believe is that they should re-instate the charge for the Staten Island ferry. They throw so much money away making that free. If everyone payed 50cents. It would not hurt the pockets... And it would help the city during rush hour. Also the trains are free in staten island. It was a great idea... But why make something free when the city is hurting... Start by charging on the small things... Not on all the bridges... I do not take any of those bridges and If I do it is in a company vehicle with the easy pass on it. But the traffic is rediculous. Then you put a bunch of tolls. And the traffic would be even worse... Bloomburg... I voted for you... Don't fu*k us....

Peace...:mad: :mad: :mad:

the word is that they won't build toll booths instead they will have toll collectors with changes and ez pass scanner. i really can't think of how they will build tolll booth at the queensboro bridge or any other crossings.

NYC has no choice it's running on deficit and we can' rely on dubya to help our city.