Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ricky Williams says he's "Heading to Miami"

digital7

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Ricky Williams says he is heading to Miami.

Williams told the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel on Wednesday night he is headed to the Miami Dolphins in a trade that will net the New Orleans Saints nowhere near the cache of draft choices it gave up to get the Heisman Trophy winner three years ago.

"I hear it's going to happen (Thursday)," Williams told the newspaper. "The Saints can't keep me now."

The report said Saints general manager Randy Mueller told the New Orleans Times-Picayune that nothing was imminent.

"We have agreed to talk a couple more times," Mueller told the Times-Picayune. "But right now, there's not a proposal out there we can agree to."

According to the Sun-Sentinel, the Dolphins have offered the Saints their 2002 first- and fourth-round choices and a conditional 2003 third-round choice that could become a first- or second-round choice if Williams reaches certain incentives.

In return, the Dolphins want a 2002 third-round choice.

Williams, 24, was arrested last month for driving a staggering 126 miles per hour. He is considered somewhat of an eccentric, conducting interviews with his helmet on.

However, Williams has rushed for 1,000 yards in each of the last two seasons, amassing 1,245 in 2001.

Williams won the Heisman Trophy at Texas in 1998. Under orders from then-coach Mike Ditka, the Saints traded all of their draft selections to the Redskins to move up and select the NCAA's career rushing leader.

However, Williams never meshed with the Saints. He suffered through an injury-plagued rookie season. Ditka was fired and replaced by Jim Haslett in 2000, when Williams rushed for 1,000 yards in another injury-shortened campaign.

"I just think coach Haslett and I were never on the same page," Williams told the Sun-Sentinel. "We had different philosophies."

The Dolphins need to upgrade their running game. Incumbent Lamar Smith averaged less than 3 yards a carry last season after a breakout 2000 campaign.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after cleveland didn't agree to giving up their draft choices, the saints really had no choice. the representatives of all nfl teams will be in miami today for the um workout. so look for the deal to get done today and be announced tomorrow at the latest. now they just need to sign that center, maybe sign carter and draft another lineman and they'll be looking GOOD!

so what u still will get knocked out in the 2nd round ! lol u better hope u can get a center and u need a wide out..

no matter who u sign no matter what phins SUX....They at the end will loose to NYJ...No matter how bad the NYJ are the Phins will loose...

P.S.

Even if u get a running game u still need a QB

let's start hyping it up right now. put your money where your mouth is.

the fins will sweep the series this year. the streak ends.

we might lose in the second round, but we'll still end up on top of the jets. ny is lucky the've been spotted 2 games each year. if it weren't for the fins, the jets would be the laughing stock of the nfl.

the fins will get kruetz. they're not desperate for a wideout. and with williams...things will change. oh how i hate waiting till september.

ok..i'll invite myslef into this friendly discussion regarding the jets and 'fins: they both suck: go bucs!

in all actuality now a days its hard to i.d. a team in the nfl that you can jump on the bandwagon for, but still, go bucs!