Clubplanet Nightlife Community

vic!

Originally posted by vicman

not yet millie, i saw some of them yesterday and wed. at best buy and circuit city, i'll get over the weekend, still deciding which to get.

I was thinking of buying a new PC myself and I asked around here at work for some advice. All the computer geeks (like Shady) here told me to stay away from Best Buys. They recommend to go to a local shop and build your own PC. Much cheaper and better tech service.

Originally posted by zaguero

I was thinking of buying a new PC myself and I asked around here at work for some advice. All the computer geeks (like Shady) here told me to stay away from Best Buys. They recommend to go to a local shop and build your own PC. Much cheaper and better tech service.

I actually totally disagree with that. Tech guys always like to say that, because they're geeks, and think they're cool when they "build their own computer" from scratch. It IS cheaper. But it's a huge pain in the ass. And I hate dealing with these local shops. Cause a lot of times, they give you a piece of shit machine. I've had to help out a bunch of people who have "do it yourself" machines, and I hate them, cause they're put together like pieces of shit in a tin box. I've even encountered some machines that you couldn't even open the casing for. So, I would totally go with the old saying "You get what you pay for". You may pay a little more, but you get a nice warranty and big company service, which is a lot more convenient to deal with than mom and pop stores, even if the mom and pop stores may give you better service overall.

i would get dell like it was suggetsed but ihave no patience in waiting for the machine to arrive...who knows i might get some desperate waiting for it to arrive that i end up buying a second one from best buy and then getting the other one a few adys later...:(

Perhaps i can help...I sell PC's for a living and can usually get pretty good deals. Although i can only get busines class machines, i.e. Vectra's, Optiplex's, and Deskpro's. They tend to be a little more expensive than home class machines, but quality and performance is much better than the machines you can by at retail stores.

Oh yeah! I almost forgot! You should think about getting a computer with an AMD Athlon chip. It's got Intel performance, at only a fraction of the cost. My computer at home has an AMD Athlon processor, and the fucker flies (at least, it did when I first got it and the processor speed was considered fast). If you get the Athlon, you won't notice a difference, but it could be hundreds of dollars less.

Not all manufacturers have Athlons. Some that come to mind are IBM, Gateway, and I think Compaq. Check at Best Buy.

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Oh yeah! I almost forgot! You should think about getting a computer with an AMD Athlon chip. It's got Intel performance, at only a fraction of the cost. My computer at home has an AMD Athlon processor, and the fucker flies (at least, it did when I first got it and the processor speed was considered fast). If you get the Athlon, you won't notice a difference, but it could be hundreds of dollars less.

Not all manufacturers have Athlons. Some that come to mind are IBM, Gateway, and I think Compaq. Check at Best Buy.

i'll check on Athlons....