Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why does everyone seem to think that anyone with enough money can be a DJ?

I mean, just cause you've got the loot for tables and shit doesnt mean you're gonna be a good DJ.

Geez, would you think that anyone with a piano could be a classical pianist? NO!

It takes muscial talent, creativity, and "the gift" as well as the plain old practice makes perfect routine.

Everyone's got this idea that it's something you just learn like driving.

what happened to respect for artistry? There is a reason why we consider certain musicians special.

(ok, I'm a little cranky today, dont mind me)

Originally posted by lavendermenace

I mean, just cause you've got the loot for tables and shit doesnt mean you're gonna be a good DJ.

Geez, would you think that anyone with a piano could be a classical pianist? NO!

It takes muscial talent, creativity, and "the gift" as well as the plain old practice makes perfect routine.

Everyone's got this idea that it's something you just learn like driving.

what happened to respect for artistry? There is a reason why we consider certain musicians special.

(ok, I'm a little cranky today, dont mind me)

Totally true, i have friends like that, that have the money, get the gear, and automatically call themselves dj;s, then get pissed when they realize they cant do it. Alot of people try to get into it just to impress people, which is totally the wrong way to do it...

Lou (^_^)

I always wanted the gear since I was 16>> at the time I lived in CHILE and I asked my mums to send me the money to buy a mixer and sum tables..., but my plead fell on deaf ears!!!! so the way I would mix or try to mix would be by recording a song on a tape then wait another hour for the same song to play.. record a phrase from it over and over again so it could give me that echo effect hahahahahaha..... and then record another on top of it!!!! Now I finally saved up (after 12 yrs) enough money to buy meee the gear and sometimes I feel like it's in meee and sometimes I feel like it's not .. and that my mum should of attended my artistic plead... by now I would of been a PRO....Oh well it's never too late ... although i would never consider myself a DJ>>>> let's just say i do it for the love of the music i like and kus i want other people to hear what i like too! anyway i HATE WHEN A KID WITH MONEY GETS BRAND NEW GEAR AND IT'S FOR A TREND ...

AND NOT FOR THE LOVE OF MUSIC ...... THAT'S JUST WRONG!!!!

. . .Lav, ever since DJ's became de rigueur during the nineties . . every fashionista and child of an actor AND/OR musician thinks that he or she is the shit . . . New York is ESPECIALLY guilty of this shit . . I can't remember their names but I do believe there's a trifecta of DJ's from Manhattan, who's main claim to fame is that their spawn of notable people . . . Sucks, but look at it this way: They'll never get the cred . . cause they'll never be that good . . .

. . .As far as the offspring of well heeled suburbanites, all I can say is this . . . If you know one, encourage them to buy the gear and then wait a month, in no time flat they'll be willing to dump the equipment at firesale prices . . after they realize they aint got what it takes, of course . . .

Originally posted by msoprano13

maybe some people have the love for the music and wanna give it a shot....there is nothing wrong with that.....people play sports who completely suck, but still love the game so they play...

I totally hear what youre saying and I agree. I just have a problem with people who are like "yeah, I'm DJ so-and-so. I just bought my turntables yesterday.":rolleyes: Poeple are more concerend with their god damn DJ name, than actually figuring out how to spin

There is a guy on this board that tilly knows, that is very wealthy and successful and is not a bad mixer, but his music selection just isn't there. That is our opinion. He doesn't have good art direction skills, but he is talented in other areas, such as promotion, and record label work.

Originally posted by mark-e-mark

There is a guy on this board that tilly knows, that is very wealthy and successful and is not a bad mixer, but his music selection just isn't there. That is our opinion. He doesn't have good art direction skills, but he is talented in other areas, such as promotion, and record label work.

. . . . you better not be . . .

alls i have to say bout this is, its great seeing mad peeps intrests in clubs, raves, dj, ect...

but, the thing i noticed is things r mad diff,

i started spinning in clubs when DT was at tunnel, i was in the basement. i used to have to pay to get in. id walk in at bout 12 and walk around till 5 am when gonzo(ivan) would let spin till they shut the room. i was lucky he helped me out more then u can imagine, i was lucky. after a few months they finally, comped me and moved us to the hall way n i spun 10-2 before ivan. to make a long story short, i payed me dues, for the most part i think. it seems like the kids these days comming up get a set of decks n burn some shit off napster, and they think they r ready for a main floor. that is the only thing that really gets me heatted. peeps may say i havent produced anything, well i have. i used to have a record label(xtortion-records) im still apart of but due to other things going on its now secondary.

so my advise to any1 who wants to spin, be humble, dont burn any bridges, and dont forget its all about the music and dedication. i wanna be a dj u gotta live the life, full time not parttime.

a nero

Originally posted by anthonyn

alls i have to say bout this is, its great seeing mad peeps intrests in clubs, raves, dj, ect...

i started spinning in clubs when DT was at tunnel, i was in the basement. i used to have to pay to get in. id walk in at bout 12 and walk around till 5 am when gonzo(ivan) would let spin till they shut the room. i was lucky he helped me out more then u can imagine, i was lucky. after a few months they finally, comped me and moved us to the hall way n i spun 10-2 before ivan. to make a long story short, i payed me dues, for the most part i think. it seems like the kids these days comming up get a set of decks n burn some shit off napster, and they think they r ready for a main floor. that is the only thing that really gets me heatted. peeps may say i havent produced anything, well i have. i used to have a record label(xtortion-records) im still apart of but due to other things going on its now secondary.

so my advise to any1 who wants to spin, be humble, dont burn any bridges, and dont forget its all about the music and dedication. i wanna be a dj u gotta live the life, full time not parttime.

a nero

well said!!

peace out

gianni

totally true.. i made a post a while ago about how everyone is a DJ.. that pisses me off.. I hate when I see people working so hard to do what they love to do (DJ) and they keep getting dicked over them some kid who just happens to know someone who knows someone gets an awesome spot.. its not fair to people who are dedicated and work hard at what they do to get dicked around when people who just started get the good shit... UGH!!! I cant even think about it.. it makes me so mad :mad:

Originally posted by anthonyn

a nero

bro, anyone saying you've havent' paid your dues is full of shit..

guys like you and russ reign who started back at d-tour (*sigh*) are crazy talented and deserve everything you get, actually more i think..

but as for the topic at hand, i started spinning prolly about 4 months ago b/c i am intrigued by the music.. i spin for myself when i'm at home.. i feel like i've made great progress in a short time, but i sure as hell don't call myself a dj.. but i am putting a lot of money into it so i can improve.. currently i'm looking into a pair of monitors so that i can get a true sense of whats happening w/ my mixes and not believe they're on point when they're really not.. am i a dj? no.. do i spin? yes... big different though, and i think some people need to learn that..

Originally posted by PFloyd40

bro, anyone saying you've havent' paid your dues is full of shit..

guys like you and russ reign who started back at d-tour (*sigh*) are crazy talented and deserve everything you get, actually more i think..

am i a dj? no.. do i spin? yes... big different though, and i think some people need to learn that..

very very true... Nero kicks ass and people need to learn the difference in DJing and spinning.

Originally posted by bebby6919

totally true.. i made a post a while ago about how everyone is a DJ.. that pisses me off.. I hate when I see people working so hard to do what they love to do (DJ) and they keep getting dicked over them some kid who just happens to know someone who knows someone gets an awesome spot.. its not fair to people who are dedicated and work hard at what they do to get dicked around when people who just started get the good shit... UGH!!! I cant even think about it.. it makes me so mad :mad:

I could not agree with you more.

Where have you guys seen a newbie get a good spot to spin? Just asking, because I can't recall seeing it. From what I have seen it is kind of tough to get a good gig. Also, somebody like Draper shouldn't count in that, because, while I am no fan, he has put in the time. He has a name because he has been around. Granted I hate the name, but at least he has one.