Clubplanet Nightlife Community

BoDy & SouL....

Guest tilly

Guest tilly

Taken verbatim from the April 2002issue of URB Magazine...

The Party

When dance records dream at night, they dream of being played at Body & SOUL. That's because the denim-clad Japanese tourists, lithe gay boys and casually dressed disco OGs assemble at 6 Hubert St. in New York City each Sunday afternoon not to ogle the DJs, preen on the dance floor or channel the spirit of Larry Levan but to celebrate sound, pure and simple. When residents François Kevorkian, Joe Claussell, and Danny Krivit (who tend to occupy the decks all at once) shut the volume off suddenly, a total silence lowers over Club Vinyl. There is no chatting to interrupt, no clink of glasses at the bar, no cell-phone interference. In fact, none of the dancers - many of whom are fucking good ones - stop moving or appear to lose their rapture. They know the next one is going to be another all-encompassing, unpretentious, soul-quaking mini-classic. They can be sure of it.

(this is my favorite part of the whole thing...)

Body & SOUL isn't a party, it's a promise. It's reassurance that you're never going to grow out of dance music, that it can be played free of segregation along genre and racial lines, that you don't have to endure three-and-a-half hours of so-so tracks just to get to 15 minutes of glory.

WOW...this party sounds amazing and I'm wondering why I never hear anyone talk about it on this board. Maybe the "old cpers" go to this and used to write about it way back when and I just wasn't around to hear about it...IF this party is 1/2 as good as the way it's portrayed in this article, I would be shocked that ppl aren't mentioning it the way they talk about the Be Yourself parties every week.

Am I missing something here?

I have heard that it is a good party. Strange crowd though. Also, it is on a Sunday afternoon. I find that is my only time to do anything during the week so I am not so big on partying then.

Any party with a DJ named Kevorkian has got to be good. ;)

Originally posted by tilly

YES :)

Body & Soul is one of the most true-to-the-core parties in NYC. Or So I've Heard...

I've always wanted to go so badly just to see what it's about. The vibe is supposed to be incredible and the music invigorating.

Probably the reason you don't hear too much about it is that it really is a "purist's" party - people go to celebrate the music, not just to go slam around or be glam for a night.

Too much of that stuff around nyc. Drowns out the other things :)

Guest tilly
Originally posted by barvybe

I've been 3 or 4 times

definitely the best party in NYC

mostly filled with regulars, and a very mixed crowd with no B and T. It is on Sunday though, and if u go out Saturdays that makes it a tough call.

FINALLY, a cper that actually went to this!!!!

I would be willing to stay home on a Saturday just to experience this~

Humm....

I Used to go back in 97... but grew tired of the same kinda of rhythm. Don't get me wrong it used to be off the hook when it just started ... all kinds of peeps .. ladies with their century 21 bags dancing on a Sunday afternoon!!! others would bring their floor powder so they could pull those fierce 80's spin's hehehehe..

I had a blast good times indeed... the last Body & Soul party I went to was at Central park Summer of 00 .. (and the first one in 99 I think it was) ... very nice party great vibe and musix .. got my ass wasted under the sun.

Guest tilly
Originally posted by go411

I Used to go back in 97... but grew tired of the same kinda of rhythm. Don't get me wrong it used to be off the hook when it just started ... all kinds of peeps .. ladies with their century 21 bags dancing on a Sunday afternoon!!! others would bring their floor powder so they could pull those fierce 80's spin's hehehehe..

I had a blast good times indeed... the last Body & Soul party I went to was at Central park Summer of 00 .. (and the first one in 99 I think it was) ... very nice party great vibe and musix .. got my ass wasted under the sun.

OT...how was your birthday???

OT...how was your birthday???

Very nice and calm .... no trucking for meeee this year!!! I celebrated my last 20th b-day like a rock star last year ... hehehe This was my first 30th and all I wanted was sum downtime with my family .... and myself to reflect on those 20's aaaaawwww

others would bring their floor powder so they could pull those fierce 80's spin's hehehehe..

I had a blast good times indeed... the last Body & Soul party I went to was at Central park Summer of 00 .. (and the first one in 99 I think it was)

http://www.bodyandsoul-nyc.com/main.html

yeah when i went during the summer this guy brought this own powder for spin....i was so funny

B&S had a great party in central park at the end of the summer. they had brazilian drummmers and ingonito perform.

i got hook on going to B&S on sundays. i stopped going out on saturday nights so would be fresh and ready for the sunday afternoon party.

i ended up going every sunday over the summer!

:D

Guest tilly
Originally posted by cazz926

Oh For God's Sake.

Vinyl's already gone to shit on Friday and Saturday, leave Sunday alone. If you were really into the music, you would have known and gone already.

I understand why you said what you did...and it almost stopped me from posting this in the first place...but to be quite honest, I'm sick of seeing Roxy and Exit inhabit this board day in and day out...I know there are "others" that exist around here and it was kind of a way to get you guys to come out of the wood work and have a place to talk about your party(s). I read that article on the plane yesterday and was impressed with it and wanted to share it with the ppl that go to this party and LOVE IT. It was published in URB, it's not like I cracked the code or anything.

Looking at the play list from the Feb 17 party, it really looks like something I would like and something that the majority of this board would not be into anyway. I mean it's not PVD, Jonathan Peters, Tiesto or some other big name on this board. No one's ever heard of those dj's probably so if there isn't a label attached it it, then it must suck.

Originally posted by cazz926

Oh For God's Sake.

Vinyl's already gone to shit on Friday and Saturday, leave Sunday alone. If you were really into the music, you would have known and gone already.

That's a pretty broad and absolutely baseless assumption...

Don't assume that everyone that knows can take the time out and go.

But anyways, I'll try for it this week. Deb?

I was there at the central park summer of 00 party...good times, good music, hot weather! Remember sweating my ass off, but it was well worth it.;)

Guest tilly
Originally posted by xpander

That's a pretty broad and absolutely baseless assumption...

Don't assume that everyone that knows can take the time out and go.

But anyways, I'll try for it this week. Deb?

yeah, hit me up!

:cool:

I def. know what she was getting at...its got to be frustrating to have a good party that you actually enjoy going to turn "commercial and cheesy"

Originally posted by bustaknut2001

I agree with these two above girls. Body & Soul is not a drug-induced type party. It is a much older crowd than most "CP'ers"

belong in. First Vinyl Fridays, then Saturdays, and now this! NO NO NO!!!!! NO RAVERS. NO KIDS UNDER 21!

when i went i was the youngest one in the club. at the time i was 21:tongue:

Taken verbatim from the April 2002issue of URB Magazine...

The Party

When dance records dream at night, they dream of being played at Body & SOUL. That's because the denim-clad Japanese tourists, lithe gay boys and casually dressed disco OGs assemble at 6 Hubert St. in New York City each Sunday afternoon not to ogle the DJs, preen on the dance floor or channel the spirit of Larry Levan but to celebrate sound, pure and simple. When residents François Kevorkian, Joe Claussell, and Danny Krivit (who tend to occupy the decks all at once) shut the volume off suddenly, a total silence lowers over Club Vinyl. There is no chatting to interrupt, no clink of glasses at the bar, no cell-phone interference. In fact, none of the dancers - many of whom are fucking good ones - stop moving or appear to lose their rapture. They know the next one is going to be another all-encompassing, unpretentious, soul-quaking mini-classic. They can be sure of it.

(this is my favorite part of the whole thing...)

Body & SOUL isn't a party, it's a promise. It's reassurance that you're never going to grow out of dance music, that it can be played free of segregation along genre and racial lines, that you don't have to endure three-and-a-half hours of so-so tracks just to get to 15 minutes of glory.

WOW...this party sounds amazing and I'm wondering why I never hear anyone talk about it on this board. Maybe the "old cpers" go to this and used to write about it way back when and I just wasn't around to hear about it...IF this party is 1/2 as good as the way it's portrayed in this article, I would be shocked that ppl aren't mentioning it the way they talk about the Be Yourself parties every week.

i went

awesome time

i don't know why i've waited so long to go back. that is by far the only party that feels natural in that room.

totally perfect time out

body and soul still does it right