Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Better to learn on tech12's or shitty tables?

Was having a discussion with a DJ friend of mine. We were arguing about what is better for those learning to mix: tech12's or shitty tables. I argue that its better to learn on shitty tables, it'll take you longer but you learn to deal with the imperfections of crappy imprecise pitch control, slow spin up and crappy torque. He thinks that its better to get tech12's right off the bat because you'll learn shitty on crappy tables and it'll take you forever. He says this because he struggled on crappy gemini many years ago till he could afford 12's so he has a definite grudge right there :)

What do you guys think?? :confused:

I learned on Gemini PT2000III's... fairly accurate pitch control but you can't touch the platter - the motor just doesn't have the torque or the control for that.

taught me how to pitchwhip pretty darn well, and i can mix on any deck you give me now.

It's not a bad thing to learn on 1200's either - any DJ worth his salt will eventually get a pair of those babies at some point. Pretty much almost every venue will have tech 12's as well.

either way it's whatever you feel most comfortable on.

i am learning as well and I would have to say that if you learn on a pair of fresh 12's, you will learn a lot quicker because they are the dopest......but if you learn on a pair of shitty ones, you will be able to spin on anything out there

imagine you get a gig at a small venue that has a shitty setup...if youre only used to the best, you might find yourself in a lot of trouble

just my opinion :D

BG

Originally posted by ibclubbin

i am learning as well and I would have to say that if you learn on a pair of fresh 12's, you will learn a lot quicker because they are the dopest......but if you learn on a pair of shitty ones, you will be able to spin on anything out there

imagine you get a gig at a small venue that has a shitty setup...if youre only used to the best, you might find yourself in a lot of trouble

just my opinion :D

BG

yup.. i'm learning on stanton's and my mixes are getting tighter everyday..

i know plenty of dj's out there who started out on shitty ass tables and are great dj's now.. actually, an old member of this board thats a dj now and who i was asking questions about regarding dj'ing told me he started w/ belt drive tables, so...

Guest tillytoo

depends on how much money u have u can learn on any direct drive table, ust dont buy belt driven ones.

I know whee there is a starter kit on closout for 280$

direct drive tables with mixer matts headphones, needles and cartridges.

Learn on whatever you can get your hands on for free; however, unless you feel like wasting money or unless you just don't have the dough, don't bother buying anything but techs. You'll have to upgrade before long anyway, and the techs last forever.

As for the "you'll be able to play on anything" argument, once you've learned, you've learned. That, and I've never seen a place with a setup so crappy that they don't have either Techs or Vestaxs.