Clubplanet Nightlife Community

A Big F U To Colleges In Manhattan!!

well it looks like you are getting heaps of advice from everyone so take it for what its worth. If i were in your position, go to one of the community colleges for your first two years and then transfer later on into NYU or any of the other prestigioius college/universities. As long as you pull the grades (most colleges will accept transers with 3.6 or higher) you will get in and save yourself a shit load of money and/or debts and still graduate with the same piece of paper if you had been enrolled all four years.

not only is it less expensive but jeesh you are 17, 18 at best. you will probably change your major at least 3 times before you are ready to enter into the "higher division" at the college you attened anyways. gives you less guilt for taking courses that will end up being a waste in your curriculum! :laugh:

oh yeah one more thing. college ain't shit unless you make something of it. Unless you are going in medince or law or something along those lines, EXPERIENCE is the key!

I've said it plenty of times, i didnt finish college and i am doing just as well if not better than my counterparts that did. (no loans!) The last time i went jobhunting, nobody even bothered asking about my lack of degree bc I had the qualifications and expereince to boost.

So as cheesy at this sounds, just hitting the books is not going to set you apart once you enter the real world and start lookin for a job. make sure you take advantage of all the oppty's --internships, and join groups organizations, and other things to get involved.

ok just my $.02

Originally posted by sexxybabyd

no i graduated in January

hey sexxy,

my parents made too much money as well...all you have to do is claim independence then have ur parents pitch in when you need some loot for tuitition...thats what i did...plus i have work study and some academic scholarships...well ihope you make the right decision....hey community college may suck but it saves a lot of cash...at first...i went to CC first then i transfered...everything will work out:):)

Originally posted by profoundsound

hey sexxy,

my parents made too much money as well...all you have to do is claim independence then have ur parents pitch in when you need some loot for tuitition...thats what i did...plus i have work study and some academic scholarships...well ihope you make the right decision....hey community college may suck but it saves a lot of cash...at first...i went to CC first then i transfered...everything will work out:):)

I'm sure her parents wouldn't be too happy about that. You get a HUGE tax break from the IRS when you claim someone as your dependent. Chances are the amount of money they'll lose from that is way more than the interest on her loans if she was to get loans for 100% (ok maybe not for nyu or some other shit but for most of the case). Moral of the story? Take a out as many loans as you can to pay for school. I know people that are 30 and still paying off their loans - but they don't regret it one bit, none of them.

That's what everyone in this country does....can't expect mom and dad to pay for everything.

did you fill out a fafsa form and they told you they couldnt help you? cuz there is always student work programs that let you work off college or student loans. you could always take off a semester or two to work and save money for college but i wouldnt recommend it. if i were you id go to the school i really want to go to and talk to someone their because at most schools (even expensive private schools) if they think youll be a good student they can usually help you out in some way. good luck.

The best thing to do is go to a one of the CUNYs for the first two years (don't go to baruch though they have the most annoying core requirements and they give a BLOCK schedule, which means that you are with the same people in ALL your clases). YOu should try to get a 3.5 or so GPA, then you can transfer to a pricvate school, and take out loans to pay for it.

Originally posted by nycchic24

well it looks like you are getting heaps of advice from everyone so take it for what its worth. If i were in your position, go to one of the community colleges for your first two years and then transfer later on into NYU or any of the other prestigioius college/universities. As long as you pull the grades (most colleges will accept transers with 3.6 or higher) you will get in and save yourself a shit load of money and/or debts and still graduate with the same piece of paper if you had been enrolled all four years.

not only is it less expensive but jeesh you are 17, 18 at best. you will probably change your major at least 3 times before you are ready to enter into the "higher division" at the college you attened anyways. gives you less guilt for taking courses that will end up being a waste in your curriculum! :laugh:

not necessarily..

it might actually be easier if you've already achieved stellar grades and SAT's in high school.. for example, a friend of mine went to St. Johns and had a 3.8 and was rejected by Stern..

also, your partly right about expeirience being key, and partly wrong.. it all depends on the field.. like, if your going into finance, work experience really aint' work dick if you dont' go to a good school and have phenomenal grades..

Originally posted by totallytrance

Well I dont know but I dont think I can afford NYU @ $ 50,000 +++ per year even with financial aid and loans ....bit too much!!!!

(btw you're beating me now, that I have lost some of my posts :mad::tongue: )

since when was tuition for nyu $50,000 a year ? last time I checked I was paying $26,000(mebbe more mebbe less) with room and board

Originally posted by kandyraver

since when was tuition for nyu $50,000 a year ? last time I checked I was paying $26,000(mebbe more mebbe less) with room and board

I may be wrong, but 26 grand sounds a little low for NYU with room and board. Do you mean 36??? That's how much I'm paying and while I'm here, let me just bitch about the fact that my college just raised tuition again for next year. Seems to be something they do every year.....

Originally posted by kandyraver

what, only 26k?! ok well then i'm getting ripped off over here. you sure you don't have any scholarships or something cuz my parents are dishing out close to 40k right now and if you're paying a hell of a lot less than that, there's gonna be some bitching at the bursar's office!

Originally posted by PFloyd40

not necessarily..

it might actually be easier if you've already achieved stellar grades and SAT's in high school.. for example, a friend of mine went to St. Johns and had a 3.8 and was rejected by Stern..

also, your partly right about expeirience being key, and partly wrong.. it all depends on the field.. like, if your going into finance, work experience really aint' work dick if you dont' go to a good school and have phenomenal grades..

hence why i said most colleges accept transfers .... (thank you) :laugh:

and yes i agree that expereince pends on what subject she decides to pursue... like i happend to mention before the "professional" careers ( medince and law) you need a solid educuation/background. i was considering putting finance into that category bc my sister went to Dartmouth and will be starting in ibanking at JPMorgan Chase, but i also know some finance ppl that went to second tier schools and worked hard, got good grades and internships that led them to solid careers as well.

Originally posted by nycchic24

hence why i said most colleges accept transfers .... (thank you) :laugh:

u were talking about nyu and other prestigious universities and then proceeded to imply that nyu would accept 3.6 or higher gpa's on transfers..

i was simply stating that was not necessarily true..

no need to get all worked up :cool: