Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Question: If you were to dj as a profession....

vicman

...what type of music would you spin and why?

I guess most dj's are identified for the type of music they spin (Sasha, Digweed-progressive; Cox-techno; PvD-trance; Oakey-cheese; etc-- although with extended sets they might go through a variety of genres, they are mostly known for that type of music--).

Anyway, if you were to choose 1 type of music genre to spin which would it be?

I wouldn't want to spin just one. I'd want to spin house of all kinds, techno, and breaks and maybe some trance. If I had to choose just one, though, it'd probably be techno just because there are fewer people spinning techno.

the two genres are competing for my affection right now.

I would want to sound like a hybrid cross between: the progessive side of Danny Howells, mixed w/ the tribal house sounds of Tom Stephan, Victor Calderone, and Tenaglia, but w/ a dark edge like Steve Lawler.

I agree with Kuro, there are lots of types of music that I just love, but if I had to choose one, it would be techno. NOt only because there are less people out there spinning it, but after Tronic Treatment, I was just left with amazed with the energy of the crowd...plus girls that love techno are damn hot...:D

I don't think I could spin one genre and I think it is too bad that we always try and pigeon hole DJs. The genres overlap and someone who can throw down some nasty tribal house and then get down with some breaks is the best kind of DJ IMO!

I would probably tend towards progressive, with some tech-ouse and techno thrown in. But I love breaks and jungle as well!

I would have to go with, House, all types. Ican't get into D&B or breaks for spinning or dancing but love to listen to it at the house. And trance just has too much, I can't think of the word right now, but the spirilie sounding stuff in it. I really can't think Of what the hell I am trying to say but it's just freaky to spin.

I've been trying to figure this out since I got tables a month ago. I just don't know yet! I need to go out a lot more. I've probably been buying equal shares of breakbeat and house. I don't like any paticular genre, but there are certain qualities that I like which are consistent.

I like ambient noises in my music. I also like music that's fun or even funny, but I totally loose my groove when a track oozes over into cheezy. And that's a fine line to try to ride.

Also, I can't decide because I prefer different types when I'm driving alone, driving with people, at work, at a club sober and at a club trashed!

UGH! Maybe someday I'll know what to spin.

despite how much i love techno. . .i doubt i could throw down as hard as most techno djs. . .if i had to . . . i guess i would do the cross-genre/ detroit thang. . .i think richie's the best example of a 'non-genre' dj. . .he infuses everything (cept maybe a breakbeat) into his sets depending. . .does it so well. . .anyways :D

i know fsho that i would want to touch people's souls. . .with lots of deep house grooves, classics house like jamie principle, larry heard, donna edwards, and all that loveliness, maybe a little acid thrown in every once in a while, oh and some funky garage type o shit. . .AND i'd definitely get a dope vocalist to do a live PA over some of my sets every now and then

That's why I buy records of all types. Since I like all different styles I see no reason to just spin one style when it's possible to put lots of different type of music into a set if you do it right. And I'd always have to drop some breaks no matter what I was spinning.