Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Regarding good Blues n Jazz clubs in the city . . .

DEFINITELYYYYYYYYYYYYY HIT UP A COPY OF THE VILLAGE VOICE THEY HAVE TONSSSSSSS OF GOOD ASS JAZZ CLUB ADS in there...

but um..have noooo clue if its still around or anything but my father is like the carnosaur of jazz..though mind u..he is like the dinosaur of age (65 yrs old) but um his places back in the day were the Blue note but as u say its pricey..but i dont know about Birdland still being around but definitely look into that village voice shit or use citysearch.

btw...How them birthday beers doin?? ::salivates::

One word : SMALLS

West village, can't remember the addy, the cutest, (see small), underground jazz dive. Either cheap or free! and its BYOB, so it doesn't get more authentic. Never seen a bad show, but I haven't been in ages. If you go, drop me a PM- my eardrums and feet could use a change up.

Smalls is definitely a cool place, very loungy. There are more hard core jazz clubs out there, i.e Birdland and Village Vanguard, but they're kind of pricey. Smalls has a $10 cover and you can stay there for a looooong time. I think shows start at 9 or 10 pm and the place is on West 10th and 7th near the 1 Christopher Street Station. But go early, cuz the place gets really packed and seats go fast.

:hat:

THanks for the replies everyone:D :D :D

It's nice to get a taste of something different every now and then... I think Lots of the bigname music artists (techno-electro as well as rock) have their influence rooted somewhat in Jazz music,... it's such an eclectic, fast moving, layered yet smooth sound.

I am really intrigued by this place called "Smalls" .... Dub, thankx for the info, ive taken that subway lots of times but have never seen the place :confused: .... But now i'll look.

Thanks again... If im heading there, i'll start a thread and we can all chill in a diff kind of vibe sometime :cool:

Cheers!

smalls - 183 w. 10th - any given night, show up at 6pm, pay $10, stay till sunrise... i'm not kidding. and complimentary coffee, tea, chex mix, and juices as well (no bar, so you can byob as well)... fridays and saturdays, around 2/3am, headliners from the bigger clubs (sweet basil, village vanguard, blue note, etc.) often show up to smalls to have a nofrills freeform bebop set just to have fun and funk around with the residents.

Originally posted by saigray

One word : SMALLS

West village, can't remember the addy, the cutest, (see small), underground jazz dive. Either cheap or free! and its BYOB, so it doesn't get more authentic. Never seen a bad show, but I haven't been in ages. If you go, drop me a PM- my eardrums and feet could use a change up.

Mmmm....sounds realy interesting Sai...does anyone of you know the North Sea Jazz Festival at The Hague? Everybody of some importence has played there over the couple of years. For example BB King, George Benson, Angie Stone, D' Angelo, All Jereau, Brand New Heavies, Candy Dulfer, Herbie Hancock and the list goes on and on.

This year's program has yet to be made official at a press con. somewhere near the 15/16 of may. It's going to be 3 days of great bands and legendary artist.

www.northseajazz.nl

But first Carlos Santana at Arnhem on the 20th of May...woohoo!