Clubplanet Nightlife Community

diffrent types of "house music".. opinionz...

rek

Originally posted by scratchapella

sorry. adderal :rolleyes:

you talk too little :tongue:

Please forgive me for my lack of long winded conversation tonight. If I were as vocal as you (can you still use vocal eventhough you aren't really talking) I would be more than happy to tell you my real thought of the trance genre, so here I go. I feel that all trance has the same vibe and tone, I also feel the same way about drumb and bass, but maybe that cause I just don't like it. I like trance (some of it) I would never spin trance because I don't think you can ever really control the mood of an audience with it because it is so predictable, after every breakdown you know there is going to be a drumroll to bring it back up and you know that every breakdown isn't really a break down but just a puase in the bass so they can through in some freaky electro shit that goes pretty good with the lights. This reminds me of all the slow songs that Pink Floyd has ever done. But I have only heard one trance DJ that has actually really impressed me and that would be BT. Only because I have an essential mix of him where he played here in DC and actually had a band with him that played various musical instruments. I think that takes a lot of talent to be able to write the music for the records and the music that goes along with the records, and also conduct the band. That guy really earned some major ratings on my chart.

Guest jroo
Originally posted by Kuro

I wouldn't use the word "spacey" to describe trance. Maybe your definition of spacey is diferent than mine cuz I like weird, spacey music.

word, i dont mean spacey as like cool funky futuristic outerspace sounds. i mean wishywashy, fuck man, i can make the noise with my mouth, i cant describe it.

sorry. adderal :rolleyes:

haha, that can be some good stuff from what I hear. I pull my ullnighters the old fashioned way, with caffeine and fear of failing my classes. After about 72 hours of no sleep I start getting visual hallucinations.

My .02 on this subject!

I like trance. I even like the cheesy anthem stuff! It has its place and time. I don't want to listen to it every time I go out. But every once in a while it is fun and gets me totally energized and bouncy!

Even though its not my favorite anymore good trance played by an excellent DJ can still move me!

I think music is all entertwined with sub genres and gray area music these days......just let the music move you is all i have to say...talking to sander k made me realize hes in it for the music as well as other djs , so alot of tracks these days, even if played by a "trance" dj can be heard as having some breaks in it or even a housy bass line...

my 2 cents

CD

Originally posted by therunner

But I have only heard one trance DJ that has actually really impressed me and that would be BT. Only because I have an essential mix of him where he played here in DC and actually had a band with him that played various musical instruments. I think that takes a lot of talent to be able to write the music for the records and the music that goes along with the records, and also conduct the band. That guy really earned some major ratings on my chart.

uh....I think Bt is anything but a trance dj.

i guess i'm jumping in here a little late...but this is my feeling...

i used to love trance - but what exactly is trance? it seems to me that as the music progresses with time, the definition of trance. nowadays there is a big difference between 'trance' and 'progressive' - but only a few years ago it was all the same.

at the same time - if you listen to an old oakenfold cd - like his first 'journeys by dj' cd that was all trance...but it was progressive because nobody else was really playing stuff like it.

i agree with a lot of what has been said. i find trance to be boring, predictable and easy to produce/mix. that isnt to say that there arent some good tracks out there...but the majority of them are BLAH.

this kinda crosses all lines of dance music though. i used to be really into breaks...the early california/florida style breaks, because it was new and exciting. after a while, everyone with a sampler was cutting up the same hip-hop lyrics and putting them over a sped up break beat. the whole genre got flooded with underproduced - boring - predictable tracks.

not sure if i'm making too much sense...:eek: gotta goto sleep...

Originally posted by djbuster

i used to love trance - but what exactly is trance? it seems to me that as the music progresses with time, the definition of trance. nowadays there is a big difference between 'trance' and 'progressive' - but only a few years ago it was all the same.

at the same time - if you listen to an old oakenfold cd - like his first 'journeys by dj' cd that was all trance...but it was progressive because nobody else was really playing stuff like it.

i agree with a lot of what has been said. i find trance to be boring, predictable and easy to produce/mix. that isnt to say that there arent some good tracks out there...but the majority of them are BLAH.

this kinda crosses all lines of dance music though. i used to be really into breaks...the early california/florida style breaks, because it was new and exciting. after a while, everyone with a sampler was cutting up the same hip-hop lyrics and putting them over a sped up break beat. the whole genre got flooded with underproduced - boring - predictable tracks.

I agree with a lot of what you said (except that I like breaks and therefore anyone who does not is wrong because I am always right). Listening to the stuff that was called trance a few years ago it really doesn't sound like the stuff people cal trance now. And you're right about it being the same with all music. People have been hating prog lately saying it's all boring, predictable, whatever.

I agree with a lot of what you said (except that I like breaks and therefore anyone who does not is wrong because I am always right). Listening to the stuff that was called trance a few years ago it really doesn't sound like the stuff people cal trance now. And you're right about it being the same with all music. People have been hating prog lately saying it's all boring, predictable, whatever.

exactly. i think its like...a style grows and gets big, because people like something new, but then it gets too big, and kinda watered down. when this happens, there is always something new brewing. soon there will be a new type of 'progressive' music that sounds nothing progressive of days past.

thats why i like the term 'progressive' to classify what i spin. i mean-listen to my last two mix cd's and they are vastly different...but i think the term 'progressive' has more to do with the producers making progress in their music with the technology available to them.

Originally posted by jroo

word, i dont mean spacey as like cool funky futuristic outerspace sounds. i mean wishywashy, fuck man, i can make the noise with my mouth, i cant describe it.

That's what I'm saying. I like funky type cool spacey shit. Like Hamel and Balckwatch - Discoteque I think of as kind of spacey and funky.

Werd, yo!

exactly. i think its like...a style grows and gets big, because people like something new, but then it gets too big, and kinda watered down. when this happens, there is always something new brewing. soon there will be a new type of 'progressive' music that sounds nothing progressive of days past.

thats why i like the term 'progressive' to classify what i spin. i mean-listen to my last two mix cd's and they are vastly different...but i think the term 'progressive' has more to do with the producers making progress in their music with the technology available to them.

I think part of the problem, aside from too many producers trying to make records withthe same general sound, is too many DJs spinning the exact same songs over and over aain, week after week. I've mentioned over on the Buzz board that a lot of people aren't really into techno, but whenever a prog or whatever DJ drops some techno into their set I always see the whole crowd go wild, loving the hard beats. I think it's just because they don't hear much and they like the sound of something somewhat different rather than what they hear all the time.

I think part of the problem, aside from too many producers trying to make records withthe same general sound, is too many DJs spinning the exact same songs over and over aain, week after week. I've mentioned over on the Buzz board that a lot of people aren't really into techno, but whenever a prog or whatever DJ drops some techno into their set I always see the whole crowd go wild, loving the hard beats. I think it's just because they don't hear much and they like the sound of something somewhat different rather than what they hear all the time.

thats definately true. part of the reason a style of music gets so played out (or boring) is because you hear the same shit over and over again. suddenly a sound you liked is being played so much you wish it would go away.

your right too, when a dj who is known to play one style of music drops someething else on his crowd, they usually love it.

case in point...when i first started going out we call ALL electronic dance music TECHNO. if i were to listen to a tape from back then, it would be a mess of 'house' 'trance' 'breaks' 'progressive'. and it didnt matter as long as it was a good SONG-not a good style- people liked it.

late for class....:eek:

thats definately true. part of the reason a style of music gets so played out (or boring) is because you hear the same shit over and over again. suddenly a sound you liked is being played so much you wish it would go away.

your right too, when a dj who is known to play one style of music drops someething else on his crowd, they usually love it.

case in point...when i first started going out we call ALL electronic dance music TECHNO. if i were to listen to a tape from back then, it would be a mess of 'house' 'trance' 'breaks' 'progressive'. and it didnt matter as long as it was a good SONG-not a good style- people liked it.

late for class....:eek:

That's why I'm trying to learn to spin house, prog, breaks, and techno and make it all flow together in one set.

ayah, i can't believe i missed all this good discussion. . .anyways, i agree w/buster. . ."progressive" is most definitely one of those buzz words used too often with varying definitions. . .i wish i was into breaks early enough (like early 90s. .. somefink like that) to witness the dj icey/orlando breaks phenomenon. . .and now look where that shit is. . .it's the "trance" of the breaks world. . and soon, sad to say, i see that's where nuskool and "progressive" breaks headed. . .the "dark" and "nu" sound of breaks is losing ground faster than it came up. . .same kids who went around praising adam freeland and the techtonics/coastal breaks, now talk shit about him and his new album. . .(personally, i like my breaks funkee, but nu skool got it locked for now)

this makes me wonder what the next new "progressive" will be? what do you all think?

i'm thinking breakscore. . .:tongue: puhahaha (have you heard this shit? i'll try and find a stream to listen to)

one more thing, kuro, you're so right about the occasional techno track making the crowd go cragee. . .but i still think that a straight through techno set (with maybe a smattering of house records. . .detroitey) would require educated/experienced listeners. . .techno's more space-oriented (vs. the strings/melody of other 4/4 stuff), so it's beauty is subtle. . .a pleasure only for the priveleged :D

if i were to listen to a tape from back then, it would be a mess of 'house' 'trance' 'breaks' 'progressive'. and it didnt matter as long as it was a good SONG-not a good style- people liked it.

"back then" when all the music was exchanged on tapes. . .that's essentially what the music was. . .SONGS. . .i don't know how early you're talking buster. . .my babysitter used to have a huge ass collection of WBMX Hot mix 5 tapes and chicago bootlegs. . .and what i learned from allahdat was that the mix was all about the right cut, layering them, mixing songs, but i think since edm's changed sooo much since then, genre is important to help descirbe/guide a dj's range of skills, programming preferences, plus you can't own every freakin good/hit record produced anymore. . .it plays to difference audiences.. .which has also grown and changed since then

did that make any sense?

"back then" when all the music was exchanged on tapes. . .that's essentially what the music was. . .SONGS. . .i don't know how early you're talking buster. . .my babysitter used to have a huge ass collection of WBMX Hot mix 5 tapes and chicago bootlegs. . .and what i learned from allahdat was that the mix was all about the right cut, layering them, mixing songs, but i think since edm's changed sooo much since then, genre is important to help descirbe/guide a dj's range of skills, programming preferences, plus you can't own every freakin good/hit record produced anymore. . .it plays to difference audiences.. .which has also grown and changed since then

did that make any sense?

totally. music back then was more song and less track. which isnt to say that there werent alot of "tracks" but i think that even those were more song-like than today.

it's funny that you mention mixing 'back then'. i first started listening to 'dance music' or 'rave music' in 91/92. its amazing to see how much MIXING has progressed. alot of dj's back then did not mix the way dj's mx today. you'd be surprised at how many straight train-wrecks there would be on popular mix tapes.

i agree that genre is important, but i also feel like it pigeonholes music too much. if there werent so many sub-genres of music, people would be exposed to so much more, and maybe dj's would be a little more expansive in their track selection. i remember when tech-step started getting big in drum and bass, and suddenly you had to pick sides...you were either a tech-step fan or a jump-up fan. personally i thought that both genres sucked when it was all you would hear for hours, however when the two styles were blended, it would be intense.

now if only i could stop procrastinating...:D

did that make any sense?

That makes sense. There is a distinctive sound found in every genre of music (electronic or otherwise) that seperates them. And some DJs (and the people who like those DJs) will have their preferences for a type of EDM. But I think it's still possible to incorporate many different styles in a set. That's just a matter of being good at building a set and reading a crowd, knowing when it's time to lay some breaks on the people or fuck their heads up with techno or when it's time to let them hear some vocal house or whatever. I'm pretty sleepy so I have no idea if what I said makes senese and I don't care since it puts me one post closer to 1500.