Clubplanet Nightlife Community

LSAT's...

The national average I believe is a 155 score.

To get into most top 10 law schools (Penn isn't as selective for example) you'll need on the low end about a 165-168 to get in.

To get into schools in the top 20 or 25 you're looking at a 160-165 range. These are just rough approximations, each school will differ.

A point on the LSAT is roughly about 2 questions right.

Originally posted by zgrm01

Guuz what kind of law school can I get into if I get say a 150 on the LSATs, and a 3.3 GPA?

CUNY :laugh:

If you look through one of those "guide to law school" type books, it has all the admissions statistics for every law school in the country.

As far as what princess said, it won't matter as much for that if you end up in those positions, but it's better to get into a good law school to start off with than to go to a lesser one and hope that you're better enough than everyone else to be in the top 10% of your class and be one of the 30 people to make the law review. And even as such, if you go to a lower tier law school, a lot of the bigger law firms (i.e. Cravath, Kirkland, Davis Polk, Sullivan, Wachtell, etc) won't even give you a second look. Especially considering how tight the legal market is right now (yup, firms are still laying off people) it would be better to play it safe than roll the dice.

And yeah, law school sucks. Anyone want to finish writing my B-paper for me?? Due in 5 days....

Guuz what kind of law school can I get into if I get say a 150 on the LSATs, and a 3.3 GPA?

You are fighting an uphill battle to say the least. I would take the LSAT over again (take a class or whatever it takes to boost up your score substantially), or else you're best options are confined to third tier schools or low ranked second tier schools.

And brickhouse is right. Go to the best possible school you can get into. I go to Fordham, which is a good school, but which meant I had to work harder than someone that goes to Columbia or Harvard etc, schools considered more prestigious. I'm in the top 12-15% of my class so I had many options as far as jobs go, but if I had ranked in the top 40%, my options would be much more limited.

On the other hand, someone in the top 40% at Harvard for example still has many job options available to him or her.

I see, Thanks for your info guys. Also when do you think I should start studying for the LSATs? I;m only a freshman in college right now, should I wait till senior year or should I already start studying?

Don't bother studying now. No one really starts studying till a few months before the exam. Take a course if you have to at that time if you need the structured study approach. Focus on maintaining a high GPA now. Peace.

I see, Thanks for your info guys. Also when do you think I should start studying for the LSATs? I;m only a freshman in college right now, should I wait till senior year or should I already start studying?

Only advice I would definately give is, if your school offers it, take a class in Formal Logic the semester before you take the LSATs. You'll learn everything you need to know for the arguments section there.

Other than that, the LSATs don't take more than a few weeks to study for so don't sweat it too much. It's not really a study test like the MCAT, and doesn't even need as much studying as the SATs if you already know formal logic and fallacies.

As for job options at Harvard, you could rank dead last and still get a job that pays at least $90k a year....

Originally posted by djmikebugout

I cant get enuff of law school--So glad it made its way onto CP:D

LSAT's = horrible pain...thats how i remember em..

Mike BuGouT

I agree 100% , unless you're good at standerdized tests...then you should be fine with a little studying

Advice for LSAT's:

Enroll in a review course (kaplan etc) for the simple purpose of taking as many practice LSAT's as you possibly can. I found that the best way to improve. (I went from a 163 to a 167)

As far as ur 155, absolutely take it again, most schools willaverage your two scores, and some will even take the higher of the two. 155 is solid, but on the low end for the top tier Law Schools.

As far as Fordham Law, I go there as well. I would not enthusiastically recommend it, but its a great alternative if you cant make it into NYU or Columbia.

Originally posted by o-jay®

Don't bother studying now. No one really starts studying till a few months before the exam. Take a course if you have to at that time if you need the structured study approach. Focus on maintaining a high GPA now. Peace.

o-jay, who were your first year professors (excluding torts and crim law)? Hit me back @ jesse10403@aol.com if you could...wondering what extra tips/advice you might have considering how well you've done

Originally posted by joeygk

Princeton Review increased my score by like 14 points-------->I rawked that damn exam. The prep courses really help, but are pretty pricey. Over a thousand dollars 2 years ago!

I guess I'll just reemphasize the secret that Kaplan is trying to keep away from you: if you have any measure of self-discipline, you won't learn anything more from a Kaplan prep course than you would from taking a formal logic course, buying a princeton review type book, and ordering back tests. Saves a lot of money that way (at least if you go to a public school or get financial aid), gives you more free time, and I swear you'll learn exactly the same stuff taught in the course. If you have the money or just really want to play it safe, take the course, but this is just a lower cost alternative with the same effects.