Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Do things happen for a reason? (destiny vrs CHOICES)

DO THINGS ALWAYS HAPPEN FOR A REASON? (DO WE HAVE A CHOICE?)  

15 members have voted

1. 1. DO THINGS ALWAYS HAPPEN FOR A REASON? (DO WE HAVE A CHOICE?)

• YES..I BELIEVE IN DESTINY BEYOND OUR CONTROL.
    • NO...WE ARE ABLE TO MAKE CHOICES THAT DETERMIN OUR FUTURE
    • WHO CARES ...PASS THE BONG.

So someone once told me

"Don't worry Mugz, things happen for a Reason"..

And though I don't believe in "destiny"

(as a pre-destined plan we all might have written in the stars) I guess that comment made sense to me on one level..

In MY mind Things ALWAYS happen

for a REASON..

The reason being THAT YOU CAUSED IT!

That's right..

I belong to the CAUSE AND EFFECT

school of thinking..

You make a choice, there is an

effect and you act upon it..

Like a book of blank pages we

are writing our own stories in..

choosing paths...

MAKING CHOICES THAT WILL

ALWAYS HAVE A CONSEQUENCE..

(Like a choose your own adventure book)

and yet there are those that disagree..

Those that believe we have no SAY

in our futures..

Those

that believe everything is already writen

in our books and that we are but puppets

to events that we have no control over...

WHICH THEORY DO YOU

LIVE BY?

DESTINY

or

CHOICE

there are things one can control completely, things one can control sometimes, things one can indirectly influence, and other things one cannot have an impact on at all. i don't believe there is some pre-ordained plan for ANYTHING. nature has its rhythms but they are not all-powerful, for people have learned to control certain aspects of their environments. one could say "you can only control your own life" but that's not necessarily true either... i sometimes feel i have no control whatsoever! ;>

anyway, i agree with mugs.

destiny in the years of childhood since u dont have control over ur parents the neighborhood u live in and the school u go to..hence the kinds of people u meet...then choice once u move outta the house, go to college, etc

...but then again ur childhood determines a big part of who u are and become..so maybe destiny still has a hand in the future decisions u make albeit an unrecgonized one..maybe thats lookin into it too much but i like to think i live my life by choice

interesting...

and what if we throw the concept

of a diety into this thought...

If there is an "ALL KNOWING"

Diety...

omnipotent and all seeing...

Then DO WE HAVE FREEDOM

OF THOUGHT..

FREEDOM of choice?

(Damn this Ginsing, genkobaloba

drink I had for lunch has made me

all brainy and shit...)

*Slurrrrp..

Please..

carry on though:

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

People tend to have a distorted view of destiny, that it's something someone can just "foretell". The problem with that is, one doesn't realize that one's participation (even if it's not of one's own free will) in life influences that of everything else. The false understanding is that those who perceive "destiny" can somehow rise above it and observe it. But ultimately, those who think this fails to realize that it's impossible to observe "destiny", which is inclusive of everything, and still not interfere with its processes.

That being said, many people claim free will. However, is it really free will if the motivations and the basis behind that free will is ultimately shaped by something else? I say no. Those that disagree (many, I'm sure) certainly can. However, what with humans being creatures bound by the limitations of senses, that questions may never be empirically proven. Ultimately, Truth is what it is, despite what people believe in. Any sense to find it is merely motives born out of human desire.

X - "bringonthemetaphysicalphilosophy" :flame:

I believe things happen for a reason, thus am a firm believer in destiny. I think going down a different path then what you know you probably should will adversly affect your life....didnt you people ever see serendipity?! :tongue:

I beleive there's things you can control in your life, like you debt, love life, education, diet, etc . But there's others u can'l like sickness, death, accidents, etc. I dont really believe in destiny or that it was meant to be. I mean i believe a little, but u'll never catch me sayin it happend cuz destiny. I believe we make our own choices in life for the most part.

i believe in destiny an karma however with the destiny part i believe things happen for a reason an the future repeats itself (from different points of view that way its looked at differenty) until the message is learned but so many of us do not learn from our mistakes thats y we are destined to repeat them ( i hope i made it clear)

Just as this poll has proved (Destiny and Choices are running neck and neck at 50% each) I think it's a little of both.

I do believe that we make independent choices that come out of nowhere, that can cause unexpected outcomes.

But in a way, this world has a re-adjusting way of setting things back in balance (ying-yang) and that's when destiny takes place.

kind of like Destiny is the invisible film lying behind out choices:)

Originally posted by vt2be

I believe that some things happen for a reason, in the sense that one door closes but another one opens. However, it's your choice whether you decide to walk through it.

That's a nice way of putting it :)

And if you will all notice, we have changed as humans from the past. We now come to rely on technology MUCH MUCH more, almost to the fact that TECHNOLOGY is becoming our NEW DIETY

(sorry MuGz... I'll try to stay on track)

Back in Medieval days, things were much calmer, serene and knowledge was based on the unknown. I think that there is still room for Destiny in our modern life, we are just clouded by realizing it sometimes due to the fast-pace of our modern society.

Originally posted by xpander

People tend to have a distorted view of destiny, that it's something someone can just "foretell". The problem with that is, one doesn't realize that one's participation (even if it's not of one's own free will) in life influences that of everything else. The false understanding is that those who perceive "destiny" can somehow rise above it and observe it. But ultimately, those who think this fails to realize that it's impossible to observe "destiny", which is inclusive of everything, and still not interfere with its processes.

That being said, many people claim free will. However, is it really free will if the motivations and the basis behind that free will is ultimately shaped by something else? I say no. Those that disagree (many, I'm sure) certainly can. However, what with humans being creatures bound by the limitations of senses, that questions may never be empirically proven. Ultimately, Truth is what it is, despite what people believe in. Any sense to find it is merely motives born out of human desire.

. . . what about the weather? . . .

Originally posted by gmccookny

Just as this poll has proved (Destiny and Choices are running neck and neck at 50% each) I think it's a little of both.

I do believe that we make independent choices that come out of nowhere, that can cause unexpected outcomes.

But in a way, this world has a re-adjusting way of setting things back in balance (ying-yang) and that's when destiny takes place.

kind of like Destiny is the invisible film lying behind out choices:)

I believe that destiny is lying behind all of our choices, theres some force that pushes us to make different choices, and I'm convinced that everything happens for a reason. Of course while the bad things are happening its kind of hard to see that , but most of the time I realize why it actually happened...Ex...the guys i've been in relationships with...I've met them in the weirdest ways you couldnt even imagine...but there was obviously a reason why I met them when I did...I've met some of my friends in strange ways...Money or a new job comes at the oddest of times., etc ..I think that destiny pushes us in certain directions, to either keep us from repeating our mistakes or beating us senseless with experience until we realize what is is that we were meant to realize in the first place:tongue:

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . . what about the weather? . . .

What about it? While it may usually be mysterious in its origins, weather patterns can and have been tracked. We can foretell a lot about the weather. Maybe not in an incredibly accurate manner, but it's still doable.

Keep in mind how many things can affect the weather.

errrr.... what he said

(I miss my junior menace :()

What about it? While it may usually be mysterious in its origins, weather patterns can and have been tracked. We can foretell a lot about the weather. Maybe not in an incredibly accurate manner, but it's still doable.

Keep in mind how many things can affect the weather.

. . no . . . I'm talking bout . . . you didn't take nature into account in the scope of human fate . . .

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . no . . . I'm talking bout . . . you didn't take nature into account in the scope of human fate . . .

Ironically, while I wasn't trying to address this point, I inadvertently hinted as my response now.

Nature, of all things, is incredibly mechanical. Break open a science textbook and voila, there it is. However, I suspect that you're separating nature and human existence as two completely different things (which would denote that they don't interact with each other), which would be false, as nature is nothing but a human's environment (on this planet, let's say for now). But it influences a human just as other humans would. Consider this, if you didn't have a social link to the humans (IE, seeing other humans as mere animals), would they not be nature? Don't forget that humans are not above nature, but rather an integral part of it.

That's a nice way of putting it

And if you will all notice, we have changed as humans from the past. We now come to rely on technology MUCH MUCH more, almost to the fact that TECHNOLOGY is becoming our NEW DIETY

(sorry MuGz... I'll try to stay on track)

Back in Medieval days, things were much calmer, serene and knowledge was based on the unknown. I think that there is still room for Destiny in our modern life, we are just clouded by realizing it sometimes due to the fast-pace of our modern society.

have we changed? yes, the tools have changed, we can get places faster, we can kill larger amounts of ppl (sory, just answered one of those annoying middle east posts by j303 ;p) , we can communicate more efficiently, but the human society itself is the same as it was 2000 years ago. nothing much changed.

things were not calmer in medieval days... they had shitload of wars, and if anything, people were buisier farming and whatever they had to do back in medieval days.

but yes, I do believe we are clouded by our modernt life, but I refuse to believe in destiny, simply b/c I dont believe in a deity, and most simple b/c I dont want to. I dont like the idea of not being in control of my own life... even though much of this freedom is taken by the U$A, and society in general.

ok went on a tangent there. What Im trying to say is that I dont believe in fate, b/c I dont like the idea of not being in control of my own life. Ironically my life is shaped by society, even if I want to or not. now, if society dictates fate, than yes, I do believe in it, otherwise, no.

and now... does it matter if we believe in fate or not? or will believing in fate just cause collective laziness? lol... hey, I cant change anything anyway, I might as well sit here, and post on this damn board till my fingers hurt anyway right? :D