Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Mauro Picotto...

Originally posted by highmay

you're soooo right on the money with that...

seriously fellas, if yuo havent been to a picotto event, you have to put it on your life's to-do list...it is truely a unique expierience...i saw him in DC, and the best way i can describe is when the moment he comes on to the moment he's finished, you've felt like you been smacked repeatedly in the face...think HARD, multilply it by 10, and you have some idea what you're in for....picotto is seriously a sick and deranged individual...

amen to that...and its NOT hype.....@GC, my head was ringing for two whole days after his set, siiiiiiiick..... :drool:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by dr0ne

heheh i wouldnt say "fuck trance" but that lineup for this gods kitchen fest is a little ridiculous its like total trance fest with a bit of uk hard house. wtf??? not even a house or drum 'n bass room....progressive house yes, but then again prog is more trance than house anyway so i still consider it "trance".

There are other tents i just missed them out cos they take to much room in my sig.

ms_r5_c1.gif

well i'm an october baby, and i was introduced to mauro nearly 2 years ago. i'll be turning 22 in october and the last time i tried to see mauro my ride bailed, we were supposed to see him in boston, and d.c., arc is definitely my favorite venue in nyc but... when i went to the grand opening 2 of danny vs. danny it was entirely too hot! the ventilation in there completely sucks since they removed the huge fans, they've got some small ones and some cold smoke system that doesnt really work that well... i really hope they can fix this problem asap before mauro gets here because the crowd he will draw will be HUGE! and arc is not really that big, it would be nice to have some dancing space for mauro... peace

relatively speaking i'm new to the entire electronica/clubbing/partying scene, i started when i was 18, and im almost 22 now... so it hasnt been that long... like many many other people i started out going to little raves listening to people such as dj-xdream, pleasurehead, gonzo, dever, micro and so on... quickly my tastes evolved into more commercial named dj's like tiesto oakenfold van dyk and so on.... as i started going to more parties i moved onto the house kick with people like danny tenaglia, howells, deep dish and so on... lately ive discovered minimal techno, and it's such a sick unbelievable style, i'm (almost) bored by everything else... oakenfold doesnt impress me anymore (except for nixon's spirit, which quotes hunter s. thompson) i passed up seeing van dyk twice and didnt care the only people i'd actually go see lately is anyone playing at centro fly and arc, but even then i leave feeling the slightest bit dissatisfied. ive loved picotto for the longest time and really am anxious to see him perform, others i'd kill to see are jeff mills, liebing, oliver lieb, dj rush, dj hell, thomas shumahker(sp?), i even saw hawtin play a killer set that i believe was better than the host, carl cox's, set at the southstreet seaport in the 3rd floor mall... so yea he really killed it... i believe picotto's style is that of an evolved minimal technoist a la hard house via subtle trance melodies... and it works... whatever you call it, his sets are composed of pure energy... i dont think i'd want to stop moving at all... which is why they should fix the damn ventilation system in arc, for my sake and everyone elses...

thanks for reading :)

Originally posted by starshaped

There are other tents i just missed them out cos they take to much room in my sig.

hahahah ok i hadnt see that before. man if i were you i'd keep the OTHER half of the flyer, the lineup is like 50 times better :D

Originally posted by dr0ne

hahahah ok i hadnt see that before. man if i were you i'd keep the OTHER half of the flyer, the lineup is like 50 times better :D

I'll be in the GK,Gallery and Sunnid arenas all night,i'll probably go in the others for about 10 minutes each when we first get there.To me the lineups in those 3 tents couldn't be that much better,everyone i'm bothered about seeing is there and then there are people like Johan Gielen and Project who i have'nt had the chance to see but want to.There won't be any time left for the others

Originally posted by lifeboy

relatively speaking i'm new to the entire electronica/clubbing/partying scene, i started when i was 18, and im almost 22 now... so it hasnt been that long... like many many other people i started out going to little raves listening to people such as dj-xdream, pleasurehead, gonzo, dever, micro and so on... quickly my tastes evolved into more commercial named dj's like tiesto oakenfold van dyk and so on.... as i started going to more parties i moved onto the house kick with people like danny tenaglia, howells, deep dish and so on... lately ive discovered minimal techno, and it's such a sick unbelievable style, i'm (almost) bored by everything else... oakenfold doesnt impress me anymore (except for nixon's spirit, which quotes hunter s. thompson) i passed up seeing van dyk twice and didnt care the only people i'd actually go see lately is anyone playing at centro fly and arc, but even then i leave feeling the slightest bit dissatisfied. ive loved picotto for the longest time and really am anxious to see him perform, others i'd kill to see are jeff mills, liebing, oliver lieb, dj rush, dj hell, thomas shumahker(sp?), i even saw hawtin play a killer set that i believe was better than the host, carl cox's, set at the southstreet seaport in the 3rd floor mall... so yea he really killed it... i believe picotto's style is that of an evolved minimal technoist a la hard house via subtle trance melodies... and it works... whatever you call it, his sets are composed of pure energy... i dont think i'd want to stop moving at all... which is why they should fix the damn ventilation system in arc, for my sake and everyone elses...

lifeboy.. you NEED to get yourself to baktun on mondays for tronic treatment!!

www.tronictreatment.com

hey,

heheh well glad to hear you've graduated from the school of trance happens to the best of us. :laugh: j/k heheh you're now ready to get seriously schooled :D

anyway not to be picky but none of the artists you mentioned really do minimal techno, except for some jeff mills shit and his label axis (although most of it is detroit type shit, different from minimal but not any less amazing). if you really wanna check out minimal techno/house, do yourself a favor and buy anything off of perlon (markus nikolai, ben wild, ricardo villalobos, akufen) and playhouse (blaze, isolee, losoul) and thomas brinkman shit of course....hmm some tresor shit too, basic channel and oh yeah anything off of jump recordings, its not that minimal or even techno, but its great anyway :P man I could seriously fucking go on forever there's tons more look around the record shopping websites for audio samples and ask around. a lot of good laptopJ's :D i've been hearing too so check out sites like ampcast, electronicscene.com and others....some of the dopest shit coming out is not on a record but right on the web from some geeky kid sitting around his bedroom with a laptop.

thanks drone, i'll be sure to check some of them out... i was under the impression that all of the people i mentioned did minimal techno, guess i was wrong, but either way it's that repetitive punching rhythm that i love with as little breaks and real big buildups as possible, i think those ridiculous trance buildup sound decent but they take away from the song as a whole, but yea people like jeff mills and chris liebing is the style that gets me the most! mauro picotto too but he crosses the borders of trance and house now and again... although he makes it sound really good a lot of people attempting to do what he does just sound silly... anyway... thanks for the input!

mauro rocks!

oh and some stuff by this dude i dunno if you ever heard of him but he's awesome... Gaetano Parisio <~ sick!

oh and some stuff by this dude i dunno if you ever heard of him but he's awesome... Gaetano Parisio <~ sick!

parisio is sick too!! like i said before.. get your ass to baktun on mondays!! parisio was just there a few months ago. I am there almost every week.. definitely a very under-rated (and sadly underattended!!) party in nyc. cover is never more than $5!

and the sound in there KICKS!!

lasix, i just checked out the tronic treatment site! the lineups look unreal! i think i've just found a new monday night spot... as if i had a monday night spot to begin with.... ive heard of the party didnt know what it was about... thanks

Originally posted by lasix

parisio is sick too!! like i said before.. get your ass to baktun on mondays!! parisio was just there a few months ago. I am there almost every week.. definitely a very under-rated (and sadly underattended!!) party in nyc. cover is never more than $5!

and the sound in there KICKS!!

lasix: my ass will be in SERIOUS effect for technasia this monday. Im totally sick of my lame ass friends bailing on me and im gonna go alone if i have to. So if you see this guy bopping his head in a corner (holding a big glass of LI tea :D ) come say hi. :tongue:

lifeboy: if parisio is your thing then its probably not minimal shit you're after but more drummy/banging shit (the infamous ADATT). If that's the case let's drop a few more names shall we: christian varela, adam beyer, rino cerrone, marco bailey, chris zander, marco carola.....basically go to your record shop in the techno section and look for any guy with an italian name :laugh: :laugh:

drone, then maybe you can explain to me where i made the mistake of thinking one style is one and the other another... what separates minimal techno from stuff such as parisio, liebing, beyer and guys with that type of style? what else would be the distinguishing characteristic of minimal and adatt?

lasix, what time does the tronictreatment party usually run from and when is the party usually over? i think im gonna make it there this monday... like i said i dont normally go out on mondays and i'll probably be there alone but whatever, the lineups look awesome and i need a change of scene, vinyl and centro are the only two places i go to and they're kinda pricy, plus vinyl oops i mean arc (i just cant get used to calling it that) doesnt serve liquor so i usually have to get boozed up before i get in there im not a big drug person aside from smoking here n there, and all the other clubs in the city pretty much suck, well the music that is... im definitely not an exit/sf kinda person, personally i cant stand any of it... and these other trendy places just arent my style... i like good music... anyway... yea

drone, then maybe you can explain to me where i made the mistake of thinking one style is one and the other another... what separates minimal techno from stuff such as parisio, liebing, beyer and guys with that type of style? what else would be the distinguishing characteristic of minimal and adatt?

well those guys spin pretty much what's now just straight up hard techno. adatt isn't a style, its a joke term a few kids use to rip on the shit they play. it stands for "all drums, all the time" :D

minimal techno is a lot different, it can be a little banging too depending on the shit, but its mostly at a lower tempo and more chill, with typically a simple beat and only one or two things going at a time, and generally more wierder stuff. the techno sno...err i mean "purists" ;) would say that the banging shit isn't even real techno, as opposed to the old detroit shit and the more "mental" minimal shit....basically the shit that evolved from electro, kraftwerk and those guys and got started by atkins, sims, derrick may, mills, etc. essentially its more soulful techno, not that type of shit that you'd play at a club or rave for the most part....great example is derrick may's "innovator" vinyl box set....amazing collection of his prior works (he did throw some of those tracks at boo man that was intense :tongue: ) a lot of ppl think that the harder stuff has no soul as opposed to the detroit shit.....then there's the whole "white techno (drummy, souless) vs. black techno (lush, soulful) " but let's seriously not even go there, although maybe only 1 or 2 people on this board knows what im talking about..... ;)