Clubplanet Nightlife Community

***HomeGrown Roll Call- 7/23***

Originally posted by cintron

Questioning is okay. I never said it was wrong.

Some people tend to think that their questioning also means They're Right and someone else is WRong... so it doesn't really come out as a question or an inquiry, but as a barbed insult meant so they can get their shot in.

Also, it's not about self promotion, but then again you must realize that the DJ'ing scene is one in which you're dealing with people all the time. You deal with em to get you to spin, you spin to em, and then you talk to more afterwards and repeat the cycle.

It all comes down to letting people know WHO you are - you'll find that on any level, regardless of how "open" it is.

Ron said it himself - it's not an open decks event. Go to Pseudo for that.

The website clearly states that if you want to spin, BRING A DEMO and talk to the people running it. It might be more lenient than say getting a spot at groovejet or vinyl, but it's still a process nonetheless. It's all about just getting out there and showing who you are and what your sound is...

and NOT bringing drama ;) it's a celebration, not a debate!

Thank you Eric. For God's sake. Can't we just throw a fucking party?? All your comments have been heard. Enough already. I don't have time for it, nor will I pay attention to any more banter on this subject. Nonsense like this is why more people don't go out and throw parties. Just take it for what it is and enjoy it or don't come. No more BS.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by cintron

Questioning is okay. I never said it was wrong.

Some people tend to think that their questioning also means They're Right and someone else is WRong... so it doesn't really come out as a question or an inquiry, but as a barbed insult meant so they can get their shot in.

Also, it's not about self promotion, but then again you must realize that the DJ'ing scene is one in which you're dealing with people all the time. You deal with em to get you to spin, you spin to em, and then you talk to more afterwards and repeat the cycle.

It all comes down to letting people know WHO you are - you'll find that on any level, regardless of how "open" it is.

Ron said it himself - it's not an open decks event. Go to Pseudo for that.

The website clearly states that if you want to spin, BRING A DEMO and talk to the people running it. It might be more lenient than say getting a spot at groovejet or vinyl, but it's still a process nonetheless. It's all about just getting out there and showing who you are and what your sound is...

and NOT bringing drama ;) it's a celebration, not a debate!

Well, I certainly did not intend to come across as insulting.

I repeat: I ENJOY THE PARTY. Mainly I enjoy getting out and listening to good music with my friends. I enjoy it even more when my friends are the ones spinning.

I've just had these thoughts on my mind and thought that since echostar brought them up (albeit in a hostile manner), it was an appropriate time to chime in.

It turns out that the way I write often comes across more confrontational than I intend...

Originally posted by hoke

Ron, I told you I didn't want to complain right now -- I'm inclined to wait and see what happens. But whatever the intention was when this statement was written, I hope you can see how it might have been misunderstood:

Homegrown is a weekly party for DJs by DJs: a weekly showcase of NYC’s up-and-coming local DJ talent. This is the party that gives the bedroom DJ's a shot at the spotlight, and the music head a chance to hear the unheard.

Every Tuesday night from 8 till 2, you will be seeing 6 DJs dropping tasty beats from different genres. This party is free and its sole purpose is to support the scene in NYC. No attitudes, no discrimination based on experience, just fresh beats from fresh DJs. You can also expect to see some surprise guest DJ appearances from time to time.

If you would like to spin, come down with a demo,

and within a few short weeks you'll be placed behind the decks.

1) "showcase of NYC's up-and-coming local DJ talent": well, we've already seen that not all the DJs are from NYC... not a whole lot to argue there.

2) "gives the bedroom DJ's a shot": you have to admit that makes it sound like the bedroom DJ is a priority. Whether or not that was your intention, the advertising is misleading.

3) "its sole purpose is to support the scene in NYC": this statement could be interpreted in many ways. If you just mean that you're adding another party to the scene, then you're on the right track. But again, I think a few people thought this meant that you'd be supporting NYC DJs... we're seeing outside DJs take precedence over our friends, and we're just asking if that's how it's supposed to be.

4) "no discrimination based on experience": well, you yourself said in this very thread that you wanted to bring "the best talent"... Now, that does sound like discrimination. I think people expected from this statement there'd be more emphasis on giving the little guys a shot... that's all.

5) "from time to time": every week?

Look, obviously it's your party, and what you want to do with it is clearest in your own head -- but instead of arguing with us about what the party should or shouldn't be, why not just admit that the flyer led to some incorrect assumptions? It obviously did, so I don't really see why you would argue that point!

1) "showcase of NYC's up-and-coming local DJ talent" We did. 90% of the DJ so far are from NYC and are up-and-coming.

2) "gives the bedroom DJ's a shot" we have

3)"its sole purpose is to support the scene in NYC" A free party and a wide range of DJ and beats is not support?

You think all the DJ that spin in NYC are from NYC?

4)"no discrimination based on experience" over half of the DJ we had this far.

5) "from time to time" Yes last week was the first week we had a "big name"

now dont take this the wrong way but, have you ever heard of most of the DJs b4 they play at Homegrown with the exception of CP DJs?

God damn I beginning to think if this is all worth it.

I would appreciate some creative criticism but this is ridiculous.

oy vey...it's hard to believe ya'll are the same ppl I hang out w/ every week...seemed to me like everyone had a good time. I know I'm not an expert in music, but I've been around for a long time & have worked on parties...including through our very own cp :tongue: when I worked for them...and a LOT of work goes into this sort of thing. You can't please all of the people all of the time. So constructive criticism is I'm sure welcome...but if someone has this much time to think about this party, and this many problems w/ it, they should start their own weekly, no?

Anyway I'll be there w/ my kitten tastyt...somehow we always manage to have a LOT of fun ;):D

yo Bog...

it is worth it, man. It always is worth it. unfortunately, this thread epitomizes why NYC has such a dying party scene and a growing club scene...

Party Scene = Thrown for the people, "by" the people, and it's more close-knit and intimate.

Club Scene = Thrown for the people by people who will do whatever to make good profits. The 'business' end of partying.

individual opinions don't mean a shit here. (see: Exit)

Perhaps things will just pepper out - usually when one person has something to say, it's like opening a floodgate and everyone chmes in their $.02 (or $2.00, if they think their opinion is better than anybody else's).

Just let it blow over. People will shut the fuck up once again and you'll still see them dancing and smiling.

When we're on a computer and being all logical about stuff, it's easy to forget what everything is really all about and what we go out for.

When we hit the floor, we're reminded once again that life is simpler, warmer and happier than we'd imagined.

Well, since this has been moved into drama (which is ridiculous because if this were an argument about ANY other party, it would stay on the front page...) I'm going to lay it out very carefully:

1) It's really cool that you have your own party.

2) Your party is almost 100% supported by CP attendance.

3) As such, CP members are perfectly entitled to voice their opinions about the party, including feelings of disillusionment.

4) If you can't handle criticism, DON'T THROW A PARTY! You will never get 100% appreciation from your audience!

5) I WILL SAY THIS ONE LAST FUCKING TIME: I ENJOY YOUR PARTY!!!!!!!!!!

That doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to see more bedroom DJs... my friends... people from the same crowd that comes there EVERY WEEK to support you guys (YES, including myself!)

Now go on, throw the party the way YOU WANT TO, and accept that it won't be perfect in all eyes!

It's not that hard to see where the compromise lies in this situation... it's the compromise that I've been trying to make for the last two hours, by letting you know that I ENJOY THE PARTY, but would do certain things differently. Is that too much to say?

(which is ridiculous because if this were an argument about ANY other party, it would stay on the front page...)

This thread was moved because it consists of name calling, fighting, harassment, and other negativity. Any post containing such will be moved if and when I see it.

If you'll notice there are quite a few threads in the drama forum these days that started out on the NY board. Its a shame that people feel the need to turn a simple roll call thread into 5 pages of bullshit and bad vibe.

Please see the CP rules that were posted last week if you have a problem with that.

Originally posted by LavenderMenace

This thread was moved because it consists of name calling, fighting, and other negatively. Any post containing such will be moved if and when I see it.

If you'll notice there are quite a few threads in the drama forum these days that started out on the NY board. Its a shame that people feel the need to turn a simple roll call thread into 5 pages of bullshit and bad vibe.

Please see the CP rules that were posted last week if you have a problem with that.

LM, please don't take this out on me... I've not done any name calling in this thread, only voiced my opinion in what I consider a reasonable manner. In fact, I've tried to keep some positivity by repeating several times that I ENJOY THE PARTY.

Nowhere in the CP rules does it state that we can't have an honest discussion about a party. That will necessarily involve some disagreement, i.e., negativity. That's not bullshit by any means -- in fact, it's much closer to the purpose of CP than half the threads that were on the front page all last week...

LM, please don't take this out on me... I've not done any name calling in this thread, only voiced my opinion in what I consider a reasonable manner. In fact, I've tried to keep some positivity by repeating several times that I ENJOY THE PARTY.

Nowhere in the CP rules does it state that we can't have an honest discussion about a party. That will necessarily involve some disagreement, i.e., negativity. That's not bullshit by any means -- in fact, it's much closer to the purpose of CP than half the threads that were on the front page all last week...

I'm not taking anything out on you.

I didnt say you called anyone names.

I'm responding to your post. you're insinuating that the post was moved because of the people involved.

I'm responding by saying that if you go back and read through the thread there is AMPLE name calling, harassment, arguing/fighting to warrant this post being moved to the drama board.

I'm not saying there wasnt some valid opinion expressed. Its a shame that that must be moved when the drama is moved. I'm not thrilled that my thread was hijacked either, but thems the breaks.

on a non-moderator personal note: I dont think you've correctly assessed how your constructive criticism is being construed by the general board-reading population. just something to think about.

on an even more personal and slightly moderator-related note: I really hate seeing people I care about fight/bicker. It really puts a damper on my mood and there's been way too much of it lately. (again, this is a general statement not directed at you specifically, but the collective.)

Ok I need to throw my .2 cents in here......

I honestly cant believe what I'm reading here......If anything, Homegrown has been the one thing on this board that has remained positive all this time.....It sucks to see Ron and Bog being bashed for it....What they're doing isnt easy and I'd like to see one of us try to pull of the same thing....With that said I have a few points I want to make....

1) The complaints about it not sticking to the original statement:...This is complete bullshit.....There are bedroom dj's spinning there on a weekly basis.....The people who throw this party never said it will be solely bedroom dj's.....What's so bad about a guy like George Calle coming in for an hour one week? If anything this can only benefit the party and everyone involved...How so?....If people will hear that some more established dj's are spinning then they might be more inclined to come check it out....Not that there's anything wrong with the fact that everyone there is from CP but some outside heads would be nice.....Plus who knows if a new dj will come one night and submit a demo....The pool of dj's on CP is pretty much tapped out it seems. Those that havent spun yet have either not given in a demo or will play in the future.....Plus more people means more exposure for the bedroom dj's whom the party still revolves around....

2)The problem that the dj's are not from the city:....Once again this comes down to the small amount of dj's that are available.....Ron and Bog are probably doing their best to get the word out about their party.....Who gets back to them is not their problem.....Should we expect them to stand on city corners trying to find local dj's that wanna spin?.....If someone from Boston or Jersey or PA or wherever wants to spin then why not let him?.....They've stepped forward and showed desire in wanting to get involved with the party......

3)No Discrimination Based on Experience:.....They're still sticking to this.....Last week was my third time out spinning in front of people and right after me came on George Calle.....How they're discriminating is beyond me....I dont see the problem in bringing talented dj's such as George, Kurtis Patrick, Lasix, DL, and host of others in the future if they are thrown in there amongst the bedroom dj's....We get to hear some really talented guys for free and I dont see the need to bitch about this...

4)Its Sole Purpose Is To Support the Scene in NYC:....Once again this comes down to the limited number of NYC dj's that have gotten back to Ron and Bog.....Maybe we should have the same lineup week after week but honestly that would get boring after awhile.......The party is free....You get to hear your friends spin....You get to hear some better established dj's spin....No drama...Great vibe....What more can you ask for?

. . . . With all this incessant bitching about this and that . . I kinda forgot that this was a special place that all the friends got together to throw a few back and listen to talent (no matter WHERE they're based) throw down . . . Ya know? . . Listen to people play rekkerds, maybe shoot the shit with peeps and generally have a good time? . .

. . . But nah . . . nah . . that aint the case from what you all are spewing . . SO . . .

. . . Since all of you seem to want to be typical clubbers, with your typical bitching about semantics involving the flyers, thinly veiled personal attacks, and complaints about promotions supposedly not living 100 percent to the word about who's gonna be spinning who's dick on the decks. . . I think we should turn this into a TYPICAL clubbing experience. . .. .

So what were gonna do is call up the NYPD and have them send down about 100 of New York's finest and they're gonna shake us down and RAID the place!! . .

. . I mean, 'cause what's a good typical clubbing night without harrasment from the local authorities? . . I can see it now . . All of you fresh faced little kiddies getting groped down and smacked around by several asp weilding cops . . They make a nice "ting" sound when they deflect off a person's skull . . Music to my ears . . .

. . Oh, and who can forget the riot handcuffs!! . . . OH YEAH, RIOT HANDCUFFS . . . You haven't lived until you've been picked up off the pavement by your arms while your bound with them . . .that nice muscle tearing feel is unbeatable . . .

. . . And also, we can't leave out the fifty block sprint to avoid them finding your shit . . it's the perfect way to get in shape and enjoy nighlife simultaneously . . . I mean, I wake up every morning wanting the NYPD to chase my fat ass down the street . . and I KNOW all you kiddies do too . .

. . . Now don't you think those examples would add to the night?!? . . I sure do. . I'm sold!!! . . Only thing better would be if Ron and Bog hired a bunch of pipe hitting thugs from Newark to work the door . . .

. . .. Remember children . . . Don't ask for Justice, BEG for MERCY!! . . . . :rolleyes: . . .

Originally posted by teklord310

I go to Homegrown to hang out with u loud mouths. If a cracked out raver boy is bitching and complaining about spinning, just find him a nice 14 year old and shove em in the bathroom.

14 year old??? where???:D

Originally posted by LavenderMenace

This thread was moved because it consists of name calling, fighting, harassment, and other negativity.

haha ron is the only person namecalling....except for joes "cupcake", shit man that was fuckin rough cut the kid a break alright?

Originally posted by nycmuzik2000

:....Once again this comes down to the small amount of dj's that are available....

we live in new york city though?? :confused:

Originally posted by nycmuzik2000

4)Its Sole Purpose Is To Support the Scene in NYC

what scene? the clubplanet scene?

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . . . With all this incessant bitching about this and that . . I kinda forgot that this was a special place that all the friends got together to throw a few back and listen to talent (no matter WHERE they're based) throw down . . . Ya know? . . Listen to people play rekkerds, maybe shoot the shit with peeps and generally have a good time? . .

. . . But nah . . . nah . . that aint the case from what you all are spewing . . SO . . .

. . . Since all of you seem to want to be typical clubbers, with your typical bitching about semantics involving the flyers, thinly veiled personal attacks, and complaints about promotions supposedly not living 100 percent to the word about who's gonna be spinning who's dick on the decks. . . I think we should turn this into a TYPICAL clubbing experience. . .. .

So what were gonna do is call up the NYPD and have them send down about 100 of New York's finest and they're gonna shake us down and RAID the place!! . .

. . I mean, 'cause what's a good typical clubbing night without harrasment from the local authorities? . . I can see it now . . All of you fresh faced little kiddies getting groped down and smacked around by several asp weilding cops . . They make a nice "ting" sound when they deflect off a person's skull . . Music to my ears . . .

. . Oh, and who can forget the riot handcuffs!! . . . OH YEAH, RIOT HANDCUFFS . . . You haven't lived until you've been picked up off the pavement by your arms while your bound with them . . .that nice muscle tearing feel is unbeatable . . .

. . . And also, we can't leave out the fifty block sprint to avoid them finding your shit . . it's the perfect way to get in shape and enjoy nighlife simultaneously . . . I mean, I wake up every morning wanting the NYPD to chase my fat ass down the street . . and I KNOW all you kiddies do too . .

. . . Now don't you think those examples would add to the night?!? . . I sure do. . I'm sold!!! . . Only thing better would be if Ron and Bog hired a bunch of pipe hitting thugs from Newark to work the door . . .

. . .. Remember children . . . Don't ask for Justice, BEG for MERCY!! . . . . :rolleyes: . . .

what?

Originally posted by echostar

we live in new york city though?? :confused:

If you gave in a demo then I dont see why you shouldnt get a slot.....

Originally posted by echostar

what scene? the clubplanet scene?

If the only people that are submitting demo's are from CP then what should they do??....Scour city record shops asking people to play?.....Its not their fault that people are getting demo's to them......