Clubplanet Nightlife Community

New York compared to Miami

djmikedr

Hey Ive done both and it depends.

MIA

------- More "Club" Clubs, Nicer, I think More openly Excepted

------AMAZING DJ Talent That Comes and Goes on a WEEKLY Basis

(IN The "slow" Month Of august, Sasha, Tiesto, Superchumbo, just to name a few)

-------- Weather

---------SPACE

Some more but busy drinking......

NY

------- By Far the Best VIBE/NRG Ever

--------More underground

--------Better "CLUBBERS"

--------TWILO (RIP)

And To End It

I think Im coming Back, if that answers your question...

Clubs = music is getting better. the vibe needs some help.

People = most of my friends are not native floridians.

Weather = good. except for June-August . too damn hot...

Women = I miss my new york women..

Job Market - sucks .. you have to fight to get a real salary.

Housing = reasonable

imo if your single you will enjoy miami. personally when ; or if I get married.. I'm moving back to new york.

Miami has the best club venues in the country (Space, Spin, Crobar, Opium, Nikkis, etc.) and great talent on a weekly basis. However, the vibe/crowd sucks. The clubs are packed w/ thousands of people who don't dance, and are pretty clueless towards the music. They're more concerned w/ looking good than just relaxing and having a good time. Everytime, I go up to NYC I'm amazed by the energy level at the parties. The only time it gets like that down here is Winter Music Conference & Labor Day Weekend (or when all the New Yorkers head south).

Plus, the underground scene is pretty much non-exsistant.

However, we still manage to break it down and party, you just have to know who & where to hang. ;)

If you like wicked hot weather, come on down.

Club-wise... personally, NY kicks ass...

However, I'm not complaining considering I'm from the MidWest.

Space rocks ----> except for friday night (EV-DP - see "Fuck Space" thread).

We have a melting pot of people; similar to NYC..

Job market is lame.... You need a car, mass transit sucks.

The beach is nice though:D

So basically, if it wasn't cold in NYC, I would live there.

But, I love Miami too and I'm glad this is where I reside.

Lola:lickit:

NEW YORK FUCKINN CITYYYY

clubs in miami suk ass plzz

crobar chicacgo kills the crobar here

space is a gay tourist trap

SOUND FACTORY is the real afterhours

where the REAL patroons go to hear REAL music with a REAAL vibe

where the people can dance REALLY good

V.I.P?? OK lets see who can spend the most money in one night just to impress someone other then urself

FUKK THAT

the girls here dont deserve to even get pissed on

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by apotheosis

As opposed to living in New York, is Miami really "better"? Please answer honestly.

Forget clubs, if you move somewhere for clubs, then you have issues.

I live 4 miles outside of lauderdale. I think i'm the only one on this board that lives out my way. Its really nice where i live, its like jersey with palm trees. The people are great, its a younger crowd, tons of shit to do, no spanish speaking is required. The beach is 10 mins. The riverwalk is soo much fun. Tons and tons of places to eat. God i think lauderdale is the resturante capital of america... The roads when its not rush hour make is simple to go anywhere. Its cheeper then nyc, but not cheep. The job market does suck, but so does nyc. What these guys aren't telling you is you have to balance out the quality of life vsers the salary.

How much money a year are you willing to give up to have nice weather, a pool open all year round etc..? The people down here are happy people who live better lives. The weather kicks ass, and for anyone too tell you the summers are too hot are out of their fing mind. Its a florida myth.. nj and nyc are just as hot. its not bad at all. I'm staying here. I like it here, i like the people etc.... you can't be board here. I use to communte to midtown. 4.5 hours a day. its sucked, nyc sucked, i hate everything about it... why do u think ny leads the country in the state with the most people who move out of it.....NC, vegas and south florida and arizona are the fastest growing markets... Move to lauderdale not miami!!!!!! Miami sucks. Its is dirty then jersey city.... There is trailer parks right in the middle of it. Fuck miami beach as weel. stick to lauderdale and you'll love it!!!!!!!!

just my 2 cents...

What an eternal debate...

To each his own... But it definitely is a matter of taste, preferences and experiences...

It also depends on what aspects u wish to consder...

i.e.: Clubwise, NY has a lot of stuff to offer... Great scene, amazing vibe, and very nice venues... The musical talent showcased in the NY scene has always been pioneer on the national -and many times even the global- scene...

Women In NY are much more down to earth than most of the women in Miami.. Seems like everyone down here is trying to impress who knos who....

The cost of living in NY is much higher than anywhere else in the country, and the pace of the city itself is just so much more intense....

On the other Hand Miami might not have a nice underground and personal scene, but it definitely has some rythm! Just like NY, Miami is a cultural melting pot with a little more latin influence... Beautiful Women from pretty much anywhere in the world can be seen in Miami looking their best; but going out to Clubs in Miami has a totally different feeling... All the ingredients might be there, a nice venue featuring the best in music; but the vibe and the appreciation are just NOT there... (Except, of course, during WMC and a couple more weekends a year when the city becomes a Global Spot for the clubbing world).

Another thing that dampens the Miami scene is the TERRIBLY AWFUL and unpleasant quality of the Sound in some Miami clubs (ie: SPACE!.. ) It is hard not to go to bed the next morning without hearing that deafening beeep permanently carved into ur inner ear by those ridiculously loud Highs all night...

But there is a lot more things to consider when comparing the two cities..

To me, having access to the beach pretty much all year round is just priceless... The oceanfront lifestyle beats the the big urban one in my book, but all in all.. its a matter of personal taste...

.. and thats my two cents... :cool:

Peace,

-mp3. :smoke:

i guess everything pretty much been covered by now, but i tend to agree with what alot of people have already said. to each his own. totally depends on the lifestyle you like and the type of person you are.

when i lived in NY i enjoyed the fast pace, getting stuff done 24-7, very stimulating and there is lots of stuff to do, culturally, artistically, musically, the mix of people makes it a great place to live. however after a while i jsut souldnt take it anymore. very stressful indeed it was for me when i just wanted to stop and relax, i just could not do it. people everywhere, the constant movement made it impssible for me to relax.

even though i have not lived in Miami, i have visited the city and the area alot in the past 12 years ever since family first moved there. for some it might be to slow, for others its just right. you can complain about the miami heat, but same with new york when it gets cold and its really not that bad compared with say orlando which is really humid gross.

$-wise, you might get paid less in Fla. but the standard of living is cheaper. for the $700 i used to pay in rent for 1 fucking bedroom in a house in Queens, i couldve probably gotten a good 1br apartment in some areas of miami, or have aroomate and live in a nicer place. also you have more space, with one could pay in rent in NY you could probably rent a house, and comfort for me is important. posting on CP 24-7 while i pretend to work, can be very stressful, so i need space and time to relax.

someone else mentioned it, if your basing a possible move on the club scene, then youve definitly got issues that you need to resolve with yourslef, unless of course that is the area you work or want to work in. but look at it this way, if you dont like miami, you can always move back, and at least youve got teh exoerioence of living in another area, with a different lifestyle, meeting new people, etc. and that to me is invaluable, and something i always look fwd. everytime i move.

i guess i'm pretty much happy in dc now, 6hr drive to NY, and $160 for a flight down to miami isnt that bad.

:D

i also forgot to mention, even though it was already mentioned. club wise, miami hands down. vibe wise, ny hands down.

i see the miami board and see the parties going on there and wished i was there, but ny has a way better underground scene. the good music aficionado needs to live on more than trance, house and progressive. i need my techno and breaks fixins also.

tronic treatment parties on mondays, people like ritchie hawtin, sven vath, luke slater, koma and bones, hyper make regular stops in ny, i dunno how often they stop in miami.

Our beaches rock!!!! And so does the eye candy that comes with it. Also, where in New York could I find a 2500 square foot wherehouse for $750/month. I will say that if I was totally loaded, I could live in NY again. I would have to be super loaded. Hi MOM (Brooklynn)!!!!!!!!! Keep in mind it is a car culture here and if you live in the wrong place, travel to and from work can really SUCK!!!!!!!! Did I mention our beaches? Anyways, one could write for hours comparing the Apple to our Cafe Con Leche world. Good luck!!!

I love these persistent NYC-Miami threads.

Personally, I can't stand New York City. I give it credit for one thing and one thing only - being the location of perhaps the greatest museum in the world, the Met.

Other than that I have no use for the place........I really don't care whether I ever set foot on that ugly, totally-raped-by-humanity concrete jungle island ever again. I'm surprised no one else ever mentions this, just how *ugly* New York is. I don't like places that have skyscrapers literally stacked up right next to each other and Manhattan carries this to the extreme.......the place is like a malignant cancer.

Miami would be paradise if not for all the shallow, thoughtless pieces of human shit we have around here. There are simply too many of the wrong people here, that's Miami's biggest problem.

My favorite Northeast city by far is Burlington, Vermont. It's so charming, open & liberal, and the surrounding Vermont countryside is so beautiful. Shame it's only livable weather-wise 4 months out of the year.........

You guys talk about Chicago - I am thinking I'm going to go visit some friends up there sometime within the next few months.....I am very interested to see how it is up there. I'm sure it's very friendly......I bet I will love it and then be upset upon return to MIA for living in the Shallow Capital of the USA.......

If it were Roman times I would live in Rome.

It's 2002 and America is the greatest country in the world and New York is it's biggest, strongest, most diverse city, so I live in NY. I love to visit Miami and the keys, New Orleans and Los Angeles but I live in NY and you should too.

I love NY more than ever before. ;)

Hehe trolling, aren't we?

I like NYC, it's fun, and I wouldn't mind living there, provided I could afford to live well. The thing I don't like about New York is the fact that you're stacked 100 deep with everyone else...unless you can afford the rent to live in a nice place. Down here, you can live not being stacked 100 deep for as little as $300 a month for a decent place.

quote: patrickl

Personally, I can't stand New York City. I give it credit for one thing and one thing only - being the location of perhaps the greatest museum in the world, the Met.

Other than that I have no use for the place........I really don't care whether I ever set foot on that ugly, totally-raped-by-humanity concrete jungle island ever again. I'm surprised no one else ever mentions this, just how *ugly* New York is. I don't like places that have skyscrapers literally stacked up right next to each other and Manhattan carries this to the extreme.......the place is like a malignant cancer.

You must never get to the beaches, the Hamptons Fire Island or how about Central Park. Yeah teh Chrysler building or the Empire St bldg are real ugly, lol, and the Museum of Natural History wothless, and Linconln Center or the NY Public Library well they kncked em down and made them into parking lots, 2 baseball teams 2 hockey teams and2 football teams and great basketball as well. Peter Luger's for steaks and the sickest club scene next to Ibiza and the UKand after hours and underground as well. hat fuckin planet do you live on?NY is the 1 of the biggest, most diverse, culturally rich cities in the world so along with that is has theBEST and the worst of everything. You either don'tknow how or where to go from your statement or must have some personal axe to grind. You sound very negative and while I can extoll the virtues and the faults of NY, you dont seeme ragging on Miami for which there is plenty to rag on. You my friend are a fuckin negative vibe monger and need to look at the positve things in life and not the negative. Life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it.

Originally posted by patrickl

I love these persistent NYC-Miami threads.

Miami would be paradise if not for all the shallow, thoughtless pieces of human shit we have around here. There are simply too many of the wrong people here, that's Miami's biggest problem.

My favorite Northeast city by far is Burlington, Vermont. It's so charming, open & liberal, and the surrounding Vermont countryside is so beautiful. Shame it's only livable weather-wise 4 months out of the year.........

You guys talk about Chicago - I am thinking I'm going to go visit some friends up there sometime within the next few months.....I am very interested to see how it is up there. I'm sure it's very friendly......I bet I will love it and then be upset upon return to MIA for living in the Shallow Capital of the USA.......

So Miami would be paradise? Yeah Paradise with how much crime and bars on peoples windows, and you call NYC a concrete Jungle. Miami is disgusting, few nice parts. Also New York is just not Manhattan there chief, and there sky scrapers all stacked up next to each other, basically like every big city in the world.

Sounds to me like someone who is in NY DENIAL, probably went there to live, or to visit, and couldn't fit in, or couldn't do nothing cause there a backwards floridian like the rest who talk shit about NY when they make no sense.

never been to n.y. i would love to go someday. here the ladies there are very beautiful, and not so complex. i love miami. dj after dj each and every weekend. beautiful clubs, cool people. and fine honeys. new york sounds so interesting to me as well. only been on 1 plane. went to vegas.....

Originally posted by mrmovement33

never been to n.y. i would love to go someday. here the ladies there are very beautiful, and not so complex. i love miami. dj after dj each and every weekend. beautiful clubs, cool people. and fine honeys. new york sounds so interesting to me as well. only been on 1 plane. went to vegas.....

so miami sticks out for its international talent, and fake coke whores that run around south beach, and all the beautiful illegal aliens we have running around.

WELCOME TO AMERICA

NOW SPEAK ENGLISH

(greatest bumper sticker I ever seen)

Should be our State Motto. :idea:

I gotta agree with Mike here. I mean it really does sound like you just couldn't fit in to NYC. Concrete jungle? skyscrapers? in NY? No kidding...and you plan on going to Chicago? Last time I was there they seemed to have quite a few skyscrapers there too...and what about L.A.? Can you get by in L.A. without a car, and is L.A. not a concrete jungle? Honestly, it's hard to tell where L.A. ends and the suburbs begin. L.A. may not have nearly as many skyscrapers as NYC, but then again L.A. suffers from earthquakes, and has only tried to start developing a big city look in the past couple of decades. I think that's why they call them BIG CITIES.

It's not like Miami doesn't have any high rises. Ever driven along North Miami Beach Beach-Hallandale Beach? Isn't the skyline of Downtown Miami filled with more and more skyscrapers?

Ultimately, given time, Miami Beach could become something that resembles a mini Manhattan and Sao Paulo. The metropolitan Miami area seems to resemble more and more a "concrete jungle"...until you reach the Everglades that is. Personally I prefer a concrete jungle over the Everglades, but that's just me.

As for New York being ugly. You seem to forget that New York has a much richer history than Miami, and a lot of the buildings in the 5 boroughs are more than just 10-20 years old. Many of these buildings have been neglected, but I find the NYC neighborhoods to be much more hostorically and culturally interesting than most of the suburbs in Miami.

And yes NYC has ghettos, but it's not like Miami and Ft. Lauderdale don't have any either. What wxactly do you call Liberty City? Drive aong US 1 just north of downtown Miami and you'll be smack right in the ghetto. Or areas near the airport as well. Hell, Hialeah has some pretty dangerous neighborhoods too.

As for the people, I do agree that there's a higher concentration of shallow people in South Florida than in NYC, but we all know there's a good dose of dumb people in the NY/NJ area too.

Now Ican't say anything bad about Burlington. I haven't been there, but I've seen pictures of the city, and it looks very nice and European. I guess you'd just fit in better with European culture and cities. Here in America certain small and midsized unique cities may appeal to you. If you're in the South I'd advise you check out places like Savannah, Charleston, St. Augustine, Naples, Key west and the city of Palm Beach. Weather wise they're definitely better than Burlington.

On the West Coast hands down San Francisco, and Candian cities Vancouver and Victoria are the most unique.

The Midwestern city of Detroit is probably a big no for you...if you think NYC is ugly and a concrete jungle I wonder what you'd make of Detroit.... If you do end up liking Chicago then you might also want to give Toronto a shot, which I think is probably the most interesting city in the Great Lakes area.