Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bloomberg's anti smoking policy

Originally posted by jimk29

The legality of smoking is not in question, because the government makes an absurd amount on taxing cigarettes so it will never be made illegal. Believe me they don't care as much about your health as they do their money.

No, it will never be made illegal, but the taxes on them will continue to rise so long as people keep buying them. Note I didn't say "keep WANTING them" because as we all know tobacco companies add enough chemicals to make sure more smoke gets into your lungs and more nicotine gets into your brain and hence the addiction. Most smokers you talk to don't want to smoke at all.

The govt cares more now than they used to because there's so much public backlash. They will continue to ban it in public places, and the percentage of smokers in the population will continue to fall.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Certain jobs have vertain risks... thats a fact. So should I be able to take a job as a roofer but complain about the heights? I mean come on, I am taking that a little far, but is along the same lines...

You seem to have a habit of omitting key words from people's posts. I said unnecessarily harmful. If you're a roofer you might just fall off a roof cause you NEED to be high off the ground. Same goes with firemen, police, etc etc.

It's not about rights, it's about respect for your peers.

So how about forcing people to bathe, as a firm believer in hygiene I feel that shouldn't be subjected to the absolutely disgusting funk that some New Yorkers have. I don't like the smell, but you know what, no one is going to do anything for me...

Because other people smelling bad doesn't harm your health.

this is the worst fuckin debate ever. Restraunt and Bar owners should be able to deciede whether or not they will allow smoking in their establishment. A bar isnt public property, its owned by a person or group or whatever, and they should have the right to say whether or not smoking is allowed. If a bar allows smoking and your that paranoid about 2nd hand smoke, then dont go there and find a bar that doesnt allow smoking. if you want to smoke but the bar doesnt allow you, find one that will.

Its the simplest fucking answer in the world.

:idea: :idea: :idea:

Originally posted by dirtyepic18

this is the worst fuckin debate ever. Restraunt and Bar owners should be able to deciede whether or not they will allow smoking in their establishment. A bar isnt public property, its owned by a person or group or whatever, and they should have the right to say whether or not smoking is allowed. If a bar allows smoking and your that paranoid about 2nd hand smoke, then dont go there and find a bar that doesnt allow smoking. if you want to smoke but the bar doesnt allow you, find one that will.

Its the simplest fucking answer in the world.

:idea: :idea: :idea:

It's a public health issue and therefore should be treated as such -- it is not for private businesses to decide matters of public health.

Originally posted by rdancer

Im for it. I can't stand the smell of cigerette smoke, especially when I go out. If people want to smoke there should be a designated area. Second hand some sucks.

thats why most restraurants have "smoking" and "non-smoking" sections.

Originally posted by hoke

It's a public health issue and therefore should be treated as such -- it is not for private businesses to decide matters of public health.

i just dont think thats true at all. Buisnesses should have the right to deciede what can go on in their establishments. If its legal to do outside in public, then they have no right to say it cant be done inside when the owners of the building are ok with it.

smoking in public is a public health issue, but as long as thats legal, its not fair to outlaw it inside.

Originally posted by dirtyepic18

i just dont think thats true at all. Buisnesses should have the right to deciede what can go on in their establishments. If its legal to do outside in public, then they have no right to say it cant be done inside when the owners of the building are ok with it.

smoking in public is a public health issue, but as long as thats legal, its not fair to outlaw it inside.

Smoking outside and smoking inside are not even remotely comparable. Our laws already contain numerous instances of activities that are legal indoors but not outdoors, and vice versa.

Again: public health issues should not be decided by private businesses.

first off.. I cant imagine a non-smoking bar...

soon, we will ban alcohol from bars b/c it impaires judgment and leads to sexual harrasment, DWI, indecent exposure, throwing up in public spaces, etc.

wtf is that? its my bar, I bought it, I make the rules. you dont like them, start your own non-smoking bar. Smoking/non-smoking should be left at the owers discretion. All these laws.... we cant smoke, we cant dance, we cant listen to electronic music.... what exactly can we do in this "free" country?

second I think smoking is as much part of bars as alcohol and music. you cant have one w/o the other. And I dont smoke.. and no I dont enjoy ciggaratte smoke, but I think this is getting ridiculous. Plus, bartenders, knew what they were getting into.. .and they could of chosen b4 hand.

Originally posted by ender84

first off.. I cant imagine a non-smoking bar...

soon, we will ban alcohol from bars b/c it impaires judgment and leads to sexual harrasment, DWI, indecent exposure, throwing up in public spaces, etc.

wtf is that? its my bar, I bought it, I make the rules. you dont like them, start your own non-smoking bar. Smoking/non-smoking should be left at the owers discretion. All these laws.... we cant smoke, we cant dance, we cant listen to electronic music.... what exactly can we do in this "free" country?

second I think smoking is as much part of bars as alcohol and music. you cant have one w/o the other. And I dont smoke.. and no I dont enjoy ciggaratte smoke, but I think this is getting ridiculous. Plus, bartenders, knew what they were getting into.. .and they could of chosen b4 hand.

Its not going to happen, but drugs are illegal and clubs still dont condone the use, misuse, and the selling & buying. Same thing with alcohol and cigerettes.

In California they found a way to smoke in the bars...within 15 feet of a window, or next to an exhaust fan..know this from visiting.

Now, think about who has money in this town, and hence the politicians ears. Its not us surprisingly, the club kids, up and comers, whatever it may be. The money is in those steak houses, bankers, lawyers, deal makers and breakers, producers, directors, etc...who like their steak rare, their cognac strong and their expensive cigars AFTER dinner. You think they will appreciate having to go outside in the winter to smoke their cigars in their armani suits after finishing a $100 meal? Think about it. Right right........

I am all for bars/restaurants having the ability to make their place smoking/nonsmoking, but don't they have that power now?

Hey if it does go thru, and not banking on it, it will be more fun to find the underground shitz to party at!!!!