Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why Is Roxy Trying To Turn Into Factory?

It's 6am in the morning very tired. I'm making this short, ROXY has gone down hill IMO. The crowd, the music there trying to be SOund Factory, why? Even the SF Head that were at roxy did feel right hearing the Hard Core music @ Roxy. If you want that music you go to Factory, I miss all the commercial shit, Vocals. Why do you think Webster hall is packed around the corner now a days, b/c thats what thy play. I love the lay out of Roxy and the girls but with out the music, I'll be on 4th and 11th.

PS. WHO DA PHUNK: TERRIBLE PERFORMANCE, THE WORST:blown: . DID NOT EVEN SING THE ONE LINE RIGHT, THEY JUST PLAYED THE RECORD. I REALLY THINK THE MIC WAS OFF THE WHOLE TIME.

GOING TO BED, SEE YOU GUYS @ NEPTUNES.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i dont really know what to say... i had a great fucking time.. was surrounded by gorgeous girls all night... had a lil misshap doh!!! where the hell is that girl with my ( _ _ _ ) !!!!! agreed that the performance was def not up to par.... still i have only liked three live performances... Reina at factory, Aubrey at factory and, Nicole McCloud at Roxy.... all the rest boooo!!! saw a couple peeps from the cp board for the first time...

Teklord nice meetin ya

Ronimess as usuall nice seein ya

ummm i think i saw xtcgspot... if it was nice lookin out on the tattoo.. cant really miss me and my tatts...lol...and i dont know who else i saw.. was a lil buzzzzzzed.. wait i still am lol!!!! but anyways to all those i saw.. nice seein ya... hope ya all had as good of a time as i did.....

and for the record.. i dont think the music can even compare to factory... not by a long shot....

to be honest i had a great time tonight at roxy i loved the vibe as usual got to see a lot of people...benny whats up kid (joey) you definatly missed out on some funny shit after we left the club with deanna....one thing i didnt really like was that the club cleared out completly after the performance which i wasnt to amuzed of but none the less i had a great time

I wasn't at Roxy last night, so I can't comment on the night. but I have been going pretty recently and I have mixed feelings about the club. One, is that I've never had a bad time there...always make a good night out of that place. two, every Friday a ton of rediculous girls walk through their doors. 3, it's less expensive than all the other big clubs in the city. 4, Vicious never really dissapoints when he's there.

But I have to agree with some of the comments posted earlier. I think that the crowd they bring in, as a whole, is lacking. lacking any diversity I mean. It's ALL Diesel Jeans wearing, muscle heads with spiked hair. I have nothign against these types...I myself, have a few pairs of Diesels, and have been known to spike up the do from time to time. But EVERYONE in that club is the same. People love to complain about the Meathead ratio in clubs like Exit, and now even ARC...but nowhere are there as many of these types than at Roxy. Not even close. And I don't think they're a particulary nice and friendly crowd either.

Hey, I'm still a little fucked up from last night, so I'm rambling a little. anyway, just my opinion.

I came out hoping to get my dance on but it seems it wasnt meant to be... CP crowd didnt wanna move saving their precious energy for DT... damn you! but the first DJ before Mike Rizzo (who BTW came on and played a total of ONE track before Shiny Blow My Nutz came on) performance was terrible energy would have been good if the music was up to PAR... i really think the music in the entire NY scene has went to shit they need to bring in some international talent, give NY dj's a pen and paper and say "take notes" thats just my 2 cents

if it cost me $40.00 to go see Buuren, Tiesto, Cox, Dyke, Picotto... believe me i would... you get 500 people like me (im sure your out there) thats your $20,000... and believe me with names like that you can attract a hell of a lot more then 500people... Tiesto's turn out at his second Exit appearance was more then 4000! at 40.00 a head minus drinks and water they made $160,000.00 net (not counting overhead and energy)...

Originally posted by zoolander

It's 6am in the morning very tired. I'm making this short, ROXY has gone down hill IMO. The crowd, the music there trying to be SOund Factory, why? Even the SF Head that were at roxy did feel right hearing the Hard Core music @ Roxy. If you want that music you go to Factory, I miss all the commercial shit, Vocals. Why do you think Webster hall is packed around the corner now a days, b/c thats what thy play. I love the lay out of Roxy and the girls but with out the music, I'll be on 4th and 11th.

PS. WHO DA PHUNK: TERRIBLE PERFORMANCE, THE WORST:blown: . DID NOT EVEN SING THE ONE LINE RIGHT, THEY JUST PLAYED THE RECORD. I REALLY THINK THE MIC WAS OFF THE WHOLE TIME.

GOING TO BED, SEE YOU GUYS @ NEPTUNES.

u want commerical vocals, save your money and listen to ktu

Roxy last night --> :blank:

No comment, that place was dead at the beginning. Then it started to fill in some more but was nowhere near where it used to be a few months ago. The back bar was closed!!

Lots of awesome looking girls, lots of meat. Don't really know if there is anything else to say... That performance was terrible. Well at least they have slutty girls.

Originally posted by dbolboy

u want commerical vocals, save your money and listen to ktu

I don't get it...I feel like the general opinion of KTU on this board is that it's pretty bad. and still, all these "musically educated:rolleyes: " people make it to Roxy every weekend. I mean, I like Roxy for what it is...A cool place to listen to decent music, depending on who's spinning, maybe meet some ladies, hang out with friends, throw a few drinks back, etc... It's basically just a cool place to spend a Friday night (or Saturday if that's your thing). But c'mon, it's not the place to go if you're out primarily to hear the best music. i just don't get how people can rip into a station like KTU, and at the same time go to Roxy every weekend(which, correct me if I'm wrong, has KTU broadcasting every Friday) and claim that you're all in it for the music. Just my opinion anyway...

Originally posted by trancerxn112

Zeek we go back cause most of us have VIP cards so we get out party on for free... well at least thats why i go... id only pay for Roxy if they got international talent which happens to be the only reason u have to pay...

right right, reason enough. but my point is, would you pay for a regular night? and you answered it. But because of these cards (I WANT ONE!) everyone here who goes every weekend, plays it off like it's this great fucking club, when it's really not all that...especially if you're not into the whole KTU soundtrack stuff, which a lot of people here say they hate. hey, if I had one of those nifty cards I know I wouldn't complain though. i don't know, I'm just a little tired and cranky this morning. still have yet to sleep. so, forgive this Drama(ish) tone.

Yeah well i was there last night.. it sucked.. lol i sat down pretty much the whole night and the CP stage crew didnt even go on stage!! Performance sucked.. other than all that it was good seeing the usuals Larry, Rob, Mike, Alan. Lynne, Randall, Artie, Steve, Gary, Karch, nychunk, Teklord, Gmoneygive, sexxyme, Mike Rizzo.. and uh i think thats it.... :D

Originally posted by danwilson

Its just not worth paying them 20,000 to DJ for 4 hours, when you have so many great NY DJs.

The international talent is coming, once the summer winds down good things are to come.

the same and the sound system..

The sound wasn't even at half its potential last night.

The performance was bad, I hope they didn't pay too much for it.

I dunno, Last night just seemed like one big opening act. Nothing really got me going. I hope they bring Bugout back, not only because he is my friend but because he brought an energy and a vibe back to Roxy that I have not felt in a while.

You're missing something here. The roxy doesn't pretend to be like the SF in no way shape or form. Never tried to and never will. Opening up in the summer for a NY weekend club is insanity. The global dj's were booked way in advance all over the world before the summer started. So we go to plan B. We as all land clubs do is hope for a bad forcast not neccessarily rain just a forcast to try and deter some people from heading to the shore or hamptons. The reality is this is the shores and hamptons time.

What you're experiencing now at the roxy is a maintenence program to get through the summer and prepare for the fall. The KTU live broadcast keeps the name out to over 3 million people and that has a value. The scene right now at the roxy is more of a social, drinking scene, special one off events and good music. Last night some of the top promoters came over from the competion and said "where the fuck did you get this crowd from..the women are beautiful..the guys are very goodlooking..no fights, no drug overdoses of any kind, The security is polite..the management is great..when the summers over and everyone's back..this place will be insane." Moves are being made to bring to you the talent you've been asking for..Until contracts are signed we will not disclose who they are, but you will be very happy.

Those of you that post in an articulate intelligent and constructive way, we hear you..your words are not falling on deaf ears believe me..As far as comparisons to other clubs..thats childish. The SF is great for what it is..Just be patient with the roxy..come the fall, you'll have the best of everything..a music scene and a social scene.

Originally posted by BobG

Just be patient with the roxy..come the fall, you'll have the best of everything..a music scene and a social scene.

I dont doubt this... the summer club scene isnt very good for more reasons then that... you forget a lot of college kids are home from school so they come out to get plastered the serious clubbers are traveling... the Winter always will be the best time cause only the hardcore dancers come out to party and it makes the scene that much better... Roxy has a lot of potential is starting to tap some of that by drawing in the big theme performers so im being patient and waiting for the club to blow up...

Bob G ,once again I couldn't have said it better myself,once again Yourself & A luv and the entire Roxy staff and promoters have been outstanding.I think the summer has been a tremendous success,and I'm very excited about the fall line-up,Thanks to everyone for their continued support!

Michael Rizzo

i was also mia last nite on vacation so my comments are more in general--

the whole international dj vs domestic dj debate is one i dont want to start up for the eleventy-billionth time, BUT

being a domestic dj, I feel like trancer's comments (which are the sentiment of many nowdays) are becoming all too common.

Dan Wilson did make a great point, these guys cost $$$$$. Yes soon enuff roxy will be delivering a sick int'l line up, but LOOK IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD-- there are many dj's from the usa that are not only better than some of those guys but more importantly are DIFFERENT--

ex. Mike Mac...this guy plays his own style of tech house that is gaining him recognition the world over. Yet when he played roxy the place started to clear early. But i bet if it was some int'l dj it would have been packed.

ex #2...what would house be without ROBBIE RIVERA??!!! This guy has revolutionized the sound IMO....He'll be playin a few dates in ny/nj comin up and hopefully roxy sooon..

maybe its the fact of the live set? Its not like u have access to download Johnny Vicious' set he did in Columbia last week or can download what JP did at factory last week....yet whenever PVD or Tiesto sneeze, someone over there records it and everyone downloads and sweats it (not that the sets arent good, but a lot of times from a DJ's perspective, after a while all their sets sound the same).

Or maybe its just the grass is greener effect. B/c these guys are over there and we dont get access to them that often when we do have a chance we jump at it, and we overlook the JP's and JV's and others that we get the opportunity to see often.

If theres one thing everyone shudda learned from the DJ breakthru night, its that there is soooo much talent right here under our noses. Most of you have never heard of all 4 of the guys who spun that night, at most u had heard one or 2 of them spin before. That night the music was awesome, 4 guys gave their best to impress the crowd. 4 guys who relatively are unknown. I know Im not tiesto or pvd...Im mike, and i gotta be me. If im ever gonna get to the status they hold, i gotta keep doin what I do...and when a crowd sez "well ur good dont get me wrong but ur not ____ or _____" (insert int'l dj), I can understand that but to say that about some of the guys who are wreckin shit right now such as Mike Mac or Vicious or Robbie Rivera, thats just reeeeeeeeeedik.

Like i said, I wasnt at roxy last nite, but every week Mike Rizzo rips that phazon up. His blend of vocals and tribal is one that i dont hear many places at all---

Im sure everyone has a diff opinion on this, but really....by responding that Int'l dj's are just better than our domestic dj's, not only are u wrong, but ur missing out on some really great styles and muzik.

Mike Bugout

Great point mike. Remember also..the club is a weekly business regardless of who's the attraction..look at the world..the week of sasha & digweed 4000 people..the next week 172 people..the trap you get caught up in is if you become an event club then you are only as good as the external reason why people came there. the next week your dead. If you can build a foundation, a base of people who come to the club regardless of who's spinning or performing, then when the show is over, the next week you still have a business. "Build a club and they will come" is over. For the most part owners give out each night to different promoters..they have become basically landlords of a space..rooms are no longer sexy..its a numbers game..body counts,.. party's with no soul. We at the roxy recognize the local talent right here in our own backyard..the importance of hospitality, sensuality, an overall fun time..there will be something in the party for everyone..may not be the same as the next guy but its there..You're right about the breakthrough night. four local dj's, four vibes, four guys playing their hearts out..was the feeling any different then if tiesto played..i don't think so, not according to what I saw and felt on that night

Mike is absolutely right... my opinion was a little biased and i forgot to mention that some of these no-named guys are rocking sets that would blow some international talent out of the water i mean ive heard some of these guys before but during the breakthrough night Mike as well as his 3 other competitors tore up the dance floor i dont remember feeling so much energy in Roxy since Vicious' birthday...