Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJmag Top 100 DJs

njdionysus

Every year DJmag publishes the highly respected Top 100 DJs poll, widely used by promoters to assess a DJ's pulling power. The 2001 chart was voted for exclusively by thousands of clubbers - by postcard, postal form, e-mail and Internet - with an unprecedented number of votes.

http://www.djmag.com/pages/top_100.cgi

You will not find Jonathan Peters, Junior Vasquez, Johnny Vicious and most other American djs anywhere on this list, except for Tenaglia and select others. No Martymixtape? No DJ Leaks (Drip Drip)

#1 John Digweed

Sasha

Danny Tenaglia

Paul Van Dyk

Paul Oakenfold :tongue:

Tiesto

Carl Cox

Mauro Picotto

Steve Lawler

Deep Dish

Judge Jules

Danny Howells

Roger Sanchez

Erick Morillo

Sander Kleinenberg

Fergie

Dave Seaman

Tall Paul Ru Paul?

Ferry Corsten

Seb Fontaine Set - Live at Passion rocks!

Fatboy Slim

Richie Hawtin Absolutely horrid!

Max Graham Crackers

Timo Maas

#25 Danny Rampling

Dave Clarke

Armin Van Buuren

Nick Warren

Lee Burridge

Darren Emerson

Andy C. No Evil, Speak No Evil

Lisa Lashes

Anthony Pappa

Masters At Work

Pete Tong

Derrick Carter

Norman Jay

Scott 007 Bond James Bond?

Jimmy Van M

Bad Boy Bill

Anne Savage

John Kelly

Guy Ornadel

Christopher Lawrence

David Morales

DJ Dan any relation to DJ Danfury?

Laurent Garnier

Sister Bliss

John '00' Fleming

#50 Hernan Cattaneo

Jeff Mills

BK any relation to IBClubbin?

Sven Vath

Mario Piu

Lottie

Donald Glaude

Mark "Breakfast Cereal" Farina

JFK Holy JFK is alive and he spins?

Adam Freeland

DJ Hype

LTJ Bukem

Yousef

Dieselboy

Dave Pearce

Andy Farley

Plump DJs

Lisa Pin-Up

Tidy Boys aka Tidy Bowl Men

Dave Lee

Ashley Casselle

Krafty Kuts

DJ Sneak snuck in the top 100

Jon Pleased

Nick Sentience

#75 Chris Liberator

BT

Armand Van Helden

Stonebridge

Tony Humphries

Steve Thomas

Justin Robertson

Joe Claussell

Brandon Block

Mr Scruff

Marco V

Craig Richards

Matt Hardwick

Grooverider

Chemical Brothers

Francois K

Jon Carter

X-Press 2

Graham Gold

Parks & Wilson

Frankie Knuckles

Basement Jaxx

Fabio Holy shit, I thought he was just a model :eek:

Gigi D'Agostino

Doc Martin

#100 Slam

Apparently George Acosta came in at #666 :laugh:

First off, keep in mind that MixMag is a UK magazine. Mixer (the US version) has a different yearly list and a lot more American DJs make it higher on there (i.e. Christopher Lawrence, Junior, etc etc). Sorry folks, JP never has been and never will be considered one of the top 100 DJs in the world, and JV is well past his prime.

American DJs on the list...

Sasha (people forget that he was became popular when he was living in Orlando and San Fran before he ever moved back to London, even if he is originally British)

DT

Deep Dish

Roger Sanchez

Erick Morillo

Richie Hawtin

Masters at Work

Derrick Carter

Bad Boy Bill

Christopher Lawrence

David Morales

DJ Dan

Jeff Mills

Donald Glaude

Mark Farina

Dieselboy

Joe Claussel

Armand Van Helden

Francois K

Frankie Knuckles

Doc Martin

Not a half bad list of US DJs...and I probably missed a few. I only listed the ones that I know for sure are from the US (not sure about Dave Clarke and a couple others). Also notice that 6 of those DJs are from NYC, just a few of em don't play here much (AVH, MAW) and two of them are Body and Soul DJs, a party that this board very well neglected.

As far as continent bias goes, notice that the only DJ listed on there not from Western Europe or North America is Hernan Cattaneo. That also means no DJ Marky, Kid Kenobi, EK, Dj Krush, and other highly qualified Asian, South American, and Aussie DJs. Also notice that some of the American DJs listed barely ever play in the US anymore (i.e. Armand, MAW, Frankie). Essentially, people voting for a UK mag are going to vote for what people hear in the UK.

However, I'm kinda pissed that not a single UKG DJ made it on the list....it was also very house and trance biased. Only a few DnB DJs, a few techno DJs, 2 breaks DJs, 0 UKG DJs, 1 downtempo DJ, 1 turntablist, 0 acid jazz DJs, 0 hip-hop DJs, 0 IDM DJs, 0 bossa nova DJs, etc etc. I mean, seriously, where's Kruder and Dorfmeister, DJ Shadow, DJ EZ, Thievery Corporation, Kid Koala, or Truby Trio?

Point is, whether or not it's highly respected, it's still a poll by a bunch of British Journalists stating who's the most popular in Britain at the time. I'm sure that if it was a German magazine Kruder, Truby, and *barf* Otzi would be in the top 10...

And one more quick count....UK Hard House DJs on the list (a style that really isn't popular at all here)

Fergie

Lisa Lashes

Norman Jay

Lottie

Anne Savage

Yousef

JFK

Lisa Pin-Up

Matt Hardwick

And there could be a few more...there are about 4 names on the list I don't recognize.

BTW, the most RETARDED name for any DJ I've ever heard is a UK Hard House DJ - Jon Pleases Wimmen

fergie is a cheesy hard house dj.

not coming from either the U.K or U.S.A I would agree with the reuslts of the top 100. The top 25 are regular visitors here.

The most popular american dj's here are danny tenaglia, deep dish and Jeff Mills.

The top 100 didnt include many breaks or dark house dj's whch is about the most popular club music here. I wonder if next year if this will be reflected.

cheers Zade

those lists are respected worldwide, and that includes the us. the industry respects the list as accurate and valid. some of the categories included in the decisions are: production of tracks, how many produced, if the tracks went worldwide, how many vinyls made compared to how many sold, how many remixes of the tracks were made and by who, guest spots, pay, venues, residencie's, among other categories. teneglia has for a long while been #1, personally i think he should still be, but thats my opinion. i dont like a lot of the names on there, but its not up to me. sasha and digweed are incredible dj's, but they also split up for a time. i dont think they are nearly as good apart. i also think if they split up, only sasha would make it in the top 20. but thats opinion.

I saw sasha and digweed NewYears Eve at welcome and digweed was by far the better dj on the night. The year before for nye welcome, sasha and digweed played, sasha only played a couple of tunes cos he could hardly stand up. I guess he was having a good time.

cheers Zade

I'll readjust the list...

Fergie

Lisa Lashes

Anne Savage

JFK

Lisa Pin-UP

That's still 5. Unless Fergie's changed his style recently, his first three essential mixes were UK hard house with a few techno tracks thrown in. JFK is classic UK hard house in the vein of Klubbheads, but just trancey enough to also be considered hard trance. I was mistaken on Hardwick, Lottie, and Yousef (I'd never heard them but had been told by friends in the UK that that's what the spun), and Norman Jay is about 50/50 between Funky house and hard house, so I'll give the benefit on that one...

Originally posted by bsb2002

oddly there are a number of djs on there that do play hard house that you people have neglected

BK

Andy Farley

Tidy Boys

Nick Sentience

Personally i don't mind a bit of hardhouse and i agree Lashes,BK,Farley & Savage should be there.

BUT that is where the list falls down,Lisa Pin Up is the most shit hardhouse dj EVER and the Tidy Boys should never be in there either.

Could always compare with what CPers voted as their favorites (what I tallied up before my computer crashed.....only about 70 voters ar that point...one of these days I'll go through the archives and finish this crap)

1. Danny Tenaglia

2. Danny Howells

3. Deep Dish

4. John Digweed

5. Carl Cox

6. Paul Van Dyk, DJ Tiesto

8. Steve Lawler

9. Jonathan Peters

10. Sasha

11. Richie Hawtin

12. Mauro Picotto

13. Johnny Vicious, Satoshi Tomeii

15. DJ Scot Project

16. Stanton Warriors

17. Lee Burridge, Robbie Rivera, Anthony Pappa, Miguel Migs, Sander Kleinenburg

22. Roger Sanchez

23. Ferry Corsten

24. BLIM

25. Seb Fontaine, Jeff Mills

27. Oscar Gaetano, Plump DJ's

29. Erick Morillo, Sven Vath, Josh Wink, Mark Farina

33. Hernan Cattaneo, Armin Van Buuren

35. Freq Nasty

Oh, yeah, and Lisa Pin-Up IS crap, but quite a few of those are getting by on their names (or rack) more than their skills

Originally posted by brickhouse

American DJs on the list...

Sasha (people forget that he was became popular when he was living in Orlando and San Fran before he ever moved back to London, even if he is originally British)

errr no, actually sasha is welsh and became popular DJing at the Hacienda in Manchester and Shelly's in Stoke in the early 90's. the florida thing happened as his UK popularity started to ebb.

BTW, the most RETARDED name for any DJ I've ever heard is a UK Hard House DJ - Jon Pleases Wimmen

its "Jon Pleased Wimmin" he's a drag queen by the way, and i think he prefers to please men.

he didn't used to play hardhouse, but i'm not too familiar with his current style