Clubplanet Nightlife Community

SASHA @ the Mayan

gemerald

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alas, i am not. although i haven't heard sasha (hard to believe, i know), i've been led to believe that he would most likely not be my cup of tea. i will go out and party with more l.a. cpers eventually, i promise!

(anyone going to see armin van buuren on september 5th?)

Roll call... Who all will be attending tonight? I haven't seen Sasha in a few years and figured "hey, let's see what the fuss is all about" (we dropped when I saw him last time, so of course he was good :)). Unfortunatly I couldn't talk anyone else into dropping $30 for a Wednesday night so I'll be solo, but hey, it's about the music, right.

Okay, so against my better judgment I went to see a show on a work night... Let's just say that I could have easily left when Zabiela's set was over. That boy was fscking *SICK*... In general I get really bored with slower music, but just before I’d think "okay, this is getting old" he'd read my mind and throw down a slamming beat, some breaks, or start scratching and you'd be forced to stop dancing for a second, look at the person standing next to you and say "GOD DAMN!" (Was that a run on sentence?)

Hmm, what about Sasha... I have this pet peeve about seeing a "BIG" DJ and witnessing rookie mistakes. Not once, but twice, he bumped the decks. His mixing skills are top-notch, but the programming left a bit to be desired in that he'd drop the energy for too long IMNSHO (thought Sasha is known for being boring). Also, I don't know if he was mixing two different vocal tracks or if it was just part of the song, but at least twice, the vocals sounded really bad, like off key and just plain messy.

But, I've found a new DJ and really opened my eyes to a previously unexplored genre in Zabiela...

zabiela is the fucking shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the kid is amazing i tell ya. breaks, prog, electro, funk, he scratches, slices and dices and the kid is only 22!!!!

thats mostly been the impression everywhere they have been, zabiela stealing the show. sasha is known to trainwreck alot, even when he spun at twilo, either alone or w/ digweed, but when he spun w/ digweed, you could put a blindfold over your eyes and everytime you heard a train wreck and looked you wouldve seen it was sasha.

i heard a couple of years ago that coke was what was starting to send sasha's career south...

i haven't been to the mayan yet. please let me in on that, kids - how it is in general, how it worked last night, etc. that's where armin van buuren'll be on sept. 5th, and i'll be making my comeback to the dancefloor!

Man, youse lot is all in for a rare treat. James Zabiella played a wicked set in Bedrock London earlier this month. Sasha played 4 hour set and finished with Expander the underworld cowgirl re mix. He let it spin for some 15 minutes before finally leaving.

What is this mayan like?

By the way, I am in London:blown:

never been to the mayan myself, since its been over 20 years since i was last in LA. i wonder if they have a website.

yeah, everything i've been able to DL from zabiela is money. kid got skilz!

yup, sasha recognized that he was doing to much drugs some years ago...probably coincided when his twilo residency was at its peak, but says that he's cleaned up his act. but imo, sasha still has it.

my first time at the mayan also.... awesome place! main floor is about the size of spundae in l.a. it's theatre-like looking. there's a balcony section above the main floor for those who just want to sit and enjoy the lazer show :D

they do have a site. check it out....

http://www.clubmayan.com/

i'm definitely gonna be there for van buuren.... hope to see some of you guys there!

The Mayan, let's see... The bathrooms are too small, it's gets hot, and it's crowded on the dance floor right in front of the stage. So, in other words, typical club. On the plus side, it feels a bit tropical being that it's done up, well, Mayan style. I've never stood in a line to get in (likely because they bring talent on the weekdays), there are several bars, and the sound system is pretty good. There are a few steps down from the stage adjacent dance floor that usually has room to dance and isn’t as hot, and they also have some stadium seating if you need a real break. There isn’t much for lighting IMO, and they need some of those nifty blasters for cryogenically freezing the dancers, comme Amnesia & Crobar; though that’s just because I think those are fun, more fans or A/C would be sufficient :D

Yeah,

Last year, sasha played the late set at Fabric in London. Lee Burridge was on before him and Sasha was so wired that Lee had to stay in the DJ box and help him line up the records! great set though.

What do you guys think to Satoshi Tomie? He appeared un anounced at Bedrock (Digweeds Club) and played a blinding set in the back room.:eek:

Originally posted by trevorsafe5

Fuck knows why I wrote that twice!

It is 1730 here and it has been a long week. I am of for a beer before going out to witness Mr Sander Klienenberg spin some ridiculously dirty beats.

Good weekend all

Tim:blown:

damn, i wish i lived in london, only place i would sell my body for so i could go and live there...:eek:

anyway, satoshi, yup he's good, like hime live much more than anything that i've been able to DL.

my weekend: koma & bones, crystal method tonite & friends b'day celebration

sat: local lounge, my b'day celebration, and checking a friend spin at a local dc club

next week will definitly be on! DT @ Space

i love "cowgirl." funny how that song's been remixed by practically everybody, and is,as you've just proven, still being spun 9 years later. a classic that deserves to be and that floors me every time i hear it :aright: .

and i, too, am still waiting for the report on the mayan (weyes taps fingernails impatiently on the table...).

Originally posted by gemerald

my first time at the mayan also.... awesome place! main floor is about the size of spundae in l.a. it's theatre-like looking. there's a balcony section above the main floor for those who just want to sit and enjoy the lazer show :D

they do have a site. check it out....

http://www.clubmayan.com/

i'm definitely gonna be there for van buuren.... hope to see some of you guys there!

damn place looks bad ass