Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Expressions that don't make any sense...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . . This thread . . . :rolleyes: . . .

Dear Mr. Phunk,

Thank you expressing interest in my thread. Unfortunately, after reviewing your contribution, I regret to inform you that your abilities do not match my current needs. I encourage you to visit any number of other threads that might be more suited to your particular skills set.

Best of luck in your future enterprises.

Sincerely,

Mr. Hoke

Originally posted by hoke

Dear Mr. Phunk,

Thank you expressing interest in my thread. Unfortunately, after reviewing your contribution, I regret to inform you that your abilities do not match my current needs. I encourage you to visit any number of other threads that might be more suited to your particular skills set.

Best of luck in your future enterprises.

Sincerely,

Mr. Hoke

. . . :laugh: . . . that was beautiful man . . . . :aright: . . .

Originally posted by dgmodel

and phatman i dont know about you but i HATE yogi berra... i hope he drops already...

i hate him for a personal reason...i waited on him years ago at a benefit and he was a scumbag...so yes, i hope he drops as well...almost as annoying as phil rezzutti (spell.) and the money store...

...this makes sense but i still hate it...

"I beg your pardon."

...no one likes a beggar...

HOW?!?!?

"Never look a gift horse in the mouth": One way to determine a horse's health is to look at its teeth and gums. To look a gift horse (i.e. a horse that's been given to you) in the mouth is a sign of ingratitude. The saying basically means that you shouldn't be overly critical of things that are given to you for free.

"You can't have your cake and eat it too": Owning a piece of cake and eating it are two mutually exclusive states -- you can't have one and still have the other. So this saying is used to point out situations where you can't have the best of both worlds -- you have to make a sacrifice in one direction or the other.

Am I making sense?

HOW?!?!?

i think i can explain the "gift horse" one; it's an old saying having to do with how to accept gifts graciously. someone correct me if i'm a trifle off-base...

one looks at a horse's teeth to determine his age. the older the horse, the less he's worth (because he has less 'work' in him).

when a person gives you a gift, it is considered inconsiderate to criticize or question the gift. for example, if someone were to give you his horse and the first thing you did would be to immediately peek in the horse's mouth to get a glimpse at his teeth, it would be indicating a desire to question the gift's worth and you would be ignoring the generosity and/or feelings of the giver.

it's like opening a birthday present from your grandma and, instead of thanking her for the pink knitted sweater, you curl your lip and exclaim "that's disgusting!" and throw it behind the sofa.