Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Murk @ Space this Saturday, September 21st.

biznation00

Saturday, September 21st

HouseSessions @ Space presents...

Murk

Feat. Oscar G & Ralph Falcon

Serving up filthy, twisted tribal rhythms on a Chunky House platter... Celebrating the official release of their new single "Dark Beat" on Twisted Records.

Live performance.

Open Vodka Bar 10 - Midnite

Guest list, Table Reservations & Event Details >> Biznation00@hotmail.com

Murk Trivia:

Under what other alias names do Oscar G & Ralph Falcon produce Music??

SPACE

142 NE 11st.

Downtown Miami

www.clubspace.com

It's not often I get to play with my partner Ralph locally....hope to see some of you guys tomorrow night....we have a couple of surprises planned...:)

O.G.

MURK

At first glance the Murk story can be a little hard to untangle: a label; releases on numerous other labels; countless aliases; a moniker in its own right… The one constant is that Murk and the men behind its many incarnations - Oscar Gaetan and Ralph Falcon - have become synonymous with supreme deep house music. Clubland aficionados can still spot a track from The Murk Boys after just a tantalizing snatch of their brooding, bass-led

sound.

It's actually quite simple: Somewhat secluded in their Miami base and unfettered by goings on in the rest of the house music world, Murk manage to produce music that is a departure from and challenge to anything else around. And yet with each release they have absolutely captured the underground musical atmosphere of the moment. Responsible for nothing less

than some of the most seminal, remembered slices of early house music, Murk have secured themselves a place in dance music history.

Oscar and Ralph developed a passion for house during their teens: clubbing together, listening to and learning from fellow Miami maestro Danny Tenaglia, buying tunes, soaking up Chicago house in particular… The progression into DJing and production was just a natural next step for both of them.

The two set up Murk Records back in 1992 with around $1500 they'd amassed from their DJ gigs. "We just wanted to get our music out there in some way, shape or form." remembers Oscar. So they did. Stateside and in Europe clubland danced for joy as the pair released a barrage of singles under various aliases: Intruder, Interceptor and Coral Way Chiefs are just a few.

This music was something new, raw and stripped down, but somehow brazenly flaunting the funk. Their third and fourth releases in particular ignited the worldwide underground, confirming Murk as the innovators they were - it was still only 1992. Those tunes were 'Need Some Loving' under the moniker

Liberty City and 'Reach For Me' under the moniker Funky Green Dogs.

Often described as dark (murky even), there's sexy sinfulness lurking in these shadows of Murk music that Oscar attributes in part to Miami life: "It's a tropical climate, sexual climate, hot, steamy - all those things wrapped up come out…" Drums are solid, the bass is deeper than deep and the usually female vocals are raw and street. It's a simple combination but not everyone does it so well, and fittingly, the cream of independent house

labels all have Murk productions in their catalogue. Check the vaults of Strictly Rhythm, Eightball and Tribal America amongst others.

But the Murk story was still one of underground heroes until a particular track created such a ridiculous buzz that something clicked and the Murk sound spilled over into the mainstream. It was 1997 and the track was Fired Up! from Funky Green Dogs debut album Get Fired Up. Tenaglia was driving crowds wild with an exclusive copy for months before most DJ's could get their hands on it and when those DJ's eventually got promos they did the same thing. When Twisted finally released the single, it sold in excess of 250k units worldwide and put the Miami pioneers on the mainstream map. The track went Top 20 in the UK, Gold in Belgium and topped the Billboard club chart.

A second Funky Green Dogs album, 'Star' followed in 1999. And the duo have ecorded a number of full-length mix CD's as Murk, the most essential of which is probably Miami Deep, a retrospective of their key productions and remixes. Very much in demand, an impressive list of remix work is still growing; the likes of Madonna, Karen Ramirez, Spice Girls, Donna Summer, Mary J. Blige , Olive, Moloko, Cher, Mr. C, Morcheeba and The Pet Shop Boys have all received the Murk touch.

Right now, however, priorities for Oscar and Ralph are nurturing the Murk label and finishing a new Funky Green Dogs album. Also be on the lookout for more releases under monikers on various labels. With five ASCAP songwriter awards and four Billboard 1#'s already under their belt for FGD releases, it's probably safe to say our future listening pleasure couldn't be in safer

hands.

And when not at home in their Miami studios the duo still travel the world to DJ. Be in no doubt that coming to a turntable near you, in person or on vinyl, will be Murk.

Guest saleen351

Check out what I found 3 days ago. I rarely ever open up my cd books, but I've been in an old school mood lately, so I scaned it..

Ps i can't make it this saturday, I have something important to do on sunday afternoon...;)

Hey Saleen and Laliux,

Sorry to hear you can't stay up Saturday night to support our home town boys and then wake up to see a Fins vs Jets game on TV Sunday. Yee...must be really tuff laying in bed there with your remote control in one hand and a bud in the other. Let me know if you need me to pick up some beer or tampons for you. BOO-HOO.:(

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by spacious

Hey Saleen and Laliux,

Sorry to hear you can't stay up Saturday night to support our home town boys and then wake up to see a Fins vs Jets game on TV Sunday. Yee...must be really tuff laying in bed there with your remote control in one hand and a bud in the other. Let me know if you need me to pick up some beer or tampons for you. BOO-HOO.:(

Some of us, went out and suported the home town boys last night. Not sure if you saw me there or not. Look for a possible cooljunkie review, not sure if nick is gonna put it up or not. And do me a favor, make sure you thank Annemarie from spin, she made the whole night for my crew. Without her, the review would of been not sooo good!;)

Originally posted by spacious

Hey Saleen and Laliux,

hey Spacious,

Always support hometown boys when possible, not only at Space but at other venues too so don't get on our backs. :D

Regarding the games; I care more about the Independiente-River game than the Fins-Jets. :)

Rocking set by both Ralph and Oscar. Surprises indeed a performance of Dark Beat with a live drummer and singer.

Oscar thanks for everything.

Hope we can see the boys at home more often.

Thanks to Oscar and CLub Space for making this happen.

DEEP DOWN IN MIAMI,

Ramon C.

Hey thanks for coming out guys!!!!

we had a great time:D

I got to see alot of old friends and I made some new ones.....

I couldnt beleive the crowd's reaction to the show...pretty amazing....nothing beats local support :) (goosebumps!)

renewed my faith in Miami...

THANKS,

O.G.

Ramon, thanks for the support!

GA, nice meeting you (finally) sorry we couldnt chat...another time:)

Originally posted by georgeacasta2

You were just a tad bit busy DJ'ing to 3000+ people when I went up to say hi, LOL. My timing sucked :mad: There was a ALOT of love in space, no doubt about it, place was rockin.

at space twice in a month. what the hell is going on with you ?:D I'm pissed I missed it, but I had mad work to do. I got to listen to some of the set on 93.1; I wanted to strangle that freaking dj on 93.1. dude wouldn't stop talking over the freaking beats.:eek: big ups to OG and Ralph for reprezint for the hometown peeps.. :)

note : Oscar no more live interviews. :laugh:

Ok, this may be quite long...but so what...here goes...

MURK! The very name conjures my very first Winter Music Conference experience. I was a young (well sort of) DJ and producer who signed up for WMC in 1994 to shop a demo. I was wallking around poolside, playing my DAT to whoever would listen. One evening, I decided to check out the conference nightlife. I had never been in a club to hang out. I had only been in clubs where I was booked to play. It was time to get out of my shell a bit. I heard about the Tribal America/MURK party going on at Velvet. I had been a big MURK fan for quite some time, and jumped at the oppurtinity to see them play. I remember walking in the club, and feeling the sequenced bass so heavy under my feet, that all I could do was smile. "This is it!" I thought to myself. This is the power of dance music! Oscar and Ralph were in the booth playing to an extremely appreciative crowd. There's something about Oscar and Ralph that I rarely see anywhere, whether here at home, or in my travels. That night, I was changed. The music they played and the way they played it communicated something outside of just dancing and hedonism. The music communicated life and emotion in all of it's states...what I consider to be the true goal of great music. That night, I promised myself to not just be a musician and DJ, but to communicate through my music...be responsible AND have a great time doing it. My love for MURK then extended not just a love for their music, but a love for what they believe in and try to convey. Something that shows through and through in their daily lives as normal people as well. I was forever changed.

:::: Fast forward to last night - Saturday, Septebmer 21, 2001::::

After hearing from Ralph about the MURK night at Space, I prepped myself to head out (I rarely go out to clubs or events...strange, some say...but that's the way it is). I knew I was in for something incredible. I was not let down. The combination of these 2 best friends is something every DJ, every producer, every music lover should experience! Hearing them last night was like hearing them for the first time again. As a musician, as a DJ, as a person, I felt inspired and renewed. That's the power of positive people like Oscar and Ralph. They weren't just up there playing records, looking for reaction from the crowd...they WERE the music. These guys believe in everything they play. They are proud to be who they are. They are proud of their heritage and culture. But, they don't stop there. They invite every single one of us...regardless of colour, race, or sex to open up and experience life through their eyes. I have the pleasure of knowing both Ralph and Oscar. And, I have the pleasure to call them friends. These guys know the meaning of that word like few people do. I just wanted to offer my sincerest appreciation, thanks, and love to these 2 men. Thank for for changing my life back then. Thank you for changing my life again last night.

Con corazon y amor,

Greg "Stryke" Chin

Greg,

Bro....I don't even know what to say.....

Thank you so much for those incredibly kind and loving words....

You've known me long enough to know that I have no idea how to take a compliment, because of my chronic shyness disorder, :) (and this is way beyond compliment) but let me assure you that I truly and sincerely appreciate this because it is coming from a close friend and someone I respect tremendously as an artist and more so as a person....

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

YOU'RE THE MAN....I GOT NOTHING BUT LOVE FOR YOU!!!

O.G.

:)

I completely agree. I hope MURK can play at Space on a more regular basis. I had a great time last night. The guys have give me a great appreciation what is house music.

From Some Lovin to their newest smash Dark Beat. These guys have been making quality music for more than 10 years. I'm sure we'll keep hearing from them for the years to come.

DEEP DOWN IN MIAMI,

Ramon C.

Originally posted by meng

Now that up there is what this message board should be all about......appreciation and respect......If I would have not had work to do last night, I would have been there....hopefully a next time will not be too far away.....

i have to disagree...i like a little drama, otherwise we couldnt have those "Walter Mercado" predictions...:laugh: :laugh: