Clubplanet Nightlife Community

japanese hair straightening/thermal reconditioning

sxyaznchiq

i went to get it done but the hairdresser took one look at my hair and said no. she told me they only do this on virgin hair or otherwise it would damage the hair way too much and it would break. so if you color your hair, you have to let it grow out first.

i phoned a few salons around my way and asked them about this since i was considering having it done to my hair. heres what they told me:

- it CAN be done on chemically treated (colored) hair, as long as its in good condition

- the thickness of your hair determines how long the process will take. in philly they charge 300 for ONE hour. one lady told me it can take up to 5hours

- once you get it done, you wont be able to curl or bend it at all. the process somehow makes your hair unable to hold curl anymore

- you cant wash your hair for 2days afterwards. during these two days you also cant tuck the hair behind your ears, or put it up in a ponytail or wrap. basically you have to let your hair just hang because its still "setting"

- they dont recommend this to afro-americans and latinas. not sure why

heres a site i found

http://www.thermalreconditioning.com/

ahhhhh.....everyone I tell about this, never heard of it.....I was @ work a couple weeks ago, and this girl comes in the bar and I was complaining to my friend about the humidity and my hair, its kinda curly but i dry it straight everyday....anyway make a story short...this girl whips out her license...her hair is like spiral curls and i look at her, her hair pin straight, no frizz...nothing...she tells me about it blah blah blah im like yeah ok..no way

so she proceeds to reach over the bar, gra the gun and soak her hair w water....35 min later, her hair dried...pin straight...she actually gave me a # of a place in Bayside, she said she paid about 375 for the process, a cut and tips..and it lasts @ 9 months....im gonna do it next summer, gonna let me hair grow out a little and we'llsee what happens......if u want the # lemme know!

thanks for the info gals :)

nifer - that website was very informative

jpfactory - i'm kinda skeptical of letting someone do that intense of a procedure on my hair if i don't know their credentials. do you know how long she's been doing it? 375$... thats a steal!

:woah:

...the stuff u girls are describing sounds a lot like bio-ionic straightening.....my friend had it done to her hi-lited and curly hair...and had a completely wash and go straight look..............expensive ...but great if it's what u need....and from what i understand better for your hair then the japanese process....similar...just newer and modified................i've also seen it done at classes and random pictures from other stylists

HERE'S SOME BIO-IONIC INFO, FOR THOSE SERIOUS ABOUT IT (lengthy post, sorry, its all the info I've got):

Hey,

I work in a salon down in Miami (not a hairstylist though) and pretty much what you are talking about it the Bio-Ionic Retexturizing System.

We offer it at our salon. Pretty much the system can cost you from around $400 upwards to $1000. Where I work, our stylists pretty much charge about $350 from the start and add about $125 for every hour, or is it every extra hour? But on top of that we include in that price the haircut that you will definitely need, and also included is your first blow dry, 3 days later.

Anyways, its not so much that the product costs a lot in relation to the cost you as the client are paying. It is just that its an extremely lengthy process that involves several steps, with the most tedious step of all (and the one that makes the price go up, Up UP) being that the stylist has to basically iron your hair out little piece by little piece with the retexturing iron. The entire process takes at the least 3 1/2-4 hours...and I personally have seen it go as long as 6 hours from my personal experience. Could take longer if you have really long hair and/or thick hair I guess.

Also, like one of you said before, yes, you can have color and/or highlights in your hair, BUT, you cannot get color or highlights done 10 days before and 10 days after doing the system. Also, *SOME* PEOPLE WITH ALREADY RELAXED HAIR CAN HAVE BIO-IONIC DONE.

What I mean by some is...there are sodium based relaxers and there are thyo based relaxers. Bio-Ionic is a thyo based relaxer. If you have done a thyo based relaxer then you can also do Bio-Ionic (though I think you MAY need to have a certain amount new growth before being able to do it). So if you have had, for example, Anti Curl (by Rusk) done, then you can do Bio-Ionic.

I would recommend asking your stylist where you had your relaxer done, if you had it done, what they used on you. Because sodium relaxers & thyo relaxers don't mix. Doesn't matter if you had it done 8 months ago. If you still have any hair that was relaxed w/ a sodium one (ex. Paul Mitchell or Mizani, amongst others) then you can't do it. Or if you do find a stylist that will still do it, I recommend you don't.

Also, like someone else said, there are things you cannot do for the next 72 hours. You cannot wash your hair, cannot wring it in a scrunchy or anything like that, can't clip it, pull it behind the ears, try not to go to the gym (sweat). The product takes 72 hours to finally set.

Another thing about this relaxer is that unlike other relaxers, this one is actually supposed to add moisture back into the hair. And like some one said, you won't even need to blow dry your hair if you really didn't want to. But from what I have heard the blowdrys take only 10-15 minutes now. That's how fast they have been when we've had clients come back for their 1st blow dry.

Finally...you will have to wait 6-8 months before coming back to touch it up, unlike the regular relaxer clients I see that come back every 3 months or so.

LORD THAT WAS A LOT. If you guys still want to know more, PM me. I'd be more than happy to help.

Mishka

Good question. I wasn't even sure myself, so I asked a coworker of mine at the salon who's a hairstylist.

Basically its so we can see the finished product to make sure we did it right.

Also, to see that they didn't mess it up cause they didn't listen to the guidlines given afterwards (we have them sign a form before they have it done saying we basically cannot guarantee this to work if they do not follow the specific guidelines we have outlined for them for the next 72 hours. that way, if they fuck it up themselves by putting a scrunchy in their hair its not a fault of the work we did. basically a way of saving our asses to those people who like to get away with things for free, and trust me, i have seen many dishonest clients in various shapes colors and sizes)

But if there is something wrong that is our fault we would know by the first blow dry and can move on to correct it.

This process is something so new for us that we want to see what they look like when they can finally blow it out. See what it really looks like. We'd really like it if we saw them even later to see how it was coming along.

We've had one client come back raving about the humidity outside 'cause it wasn't effecting her hair at all. Makes me want to get rid of my curls.

Anyways, I'm talking waaayyyyy too much.

Mishka