Clubplanet Nightlife Community

baruch business students...Q

in general...how is the business program at baruch? i'm planning on being a business major, i'm not quite sure in what specifically, but i want to transfer to a school that's more business oriented than the one i'm at... i want to know how the classes are, how demanding and competitive they are, etc... also, how is baruch ranked as an undergraduate school when looking at graduate schools? any info is appreciated. thanks :)

The Accounting and Finance classes were pretty rough, but I was a marketing major, so it was more like a convenience. Depending on what you're studying, the classes could be relatively easy or the hardest classes you've ever taken.

Chances are it's a good choice if you're looking to go to a school that's more "business" oriented. But the idea is, it's always better to get into a NYU-Sterns or a Columbia, especially when you're looking at Grad school (again, depends on what grad school you're looking to go to).

Originally posted by xpander

The Accounting and Finance classes were pretty rough, but I was a marketing major, so it was more like a convenience. Depending on what you're studying, the classes could be relatively easy or the hardest classes you've ever taken.

Chances are it's a good choice if you're looking to go to a school that's more "business" oriented. But the idea is, it's always better to get into a NYU-Sterns or a Columbia, especially when you're looking at Grad school (again, depends on what grad school you're looking to go to).

. . bah! Accounting and Finance is easy stuff . . . You just gotta love it . . .

Originally posted by mssabina

in general...how is the business program at baruch? i'm planning on being a business major, i'm not quite sure in what specifically, but i want to transfer to a school that's more business oriented than the one i'm at... i want to know how the classes are, how demanding and competitive they are, etc... also, how is baruch ranked as an undergraduate school when looking at graduate schools? any info is appreciated. thanks :)

http://zicklin.baruch.cuny.edu/index.html

Originally posted by xpander

yeah, my ideal school would be NYU stern, but i hear it's really difficult to get into (plus tuition is like $25 grand)... so i'm planning to go there for grad school...

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . bah! Accounting and Finance is easy stuff . . . You just gotta love it . . .

I hate Accounting and Finance! :cuss:

But I love Marketing, that's why I'm good at it. It's all about what you enjoy doing anyways. Now all i need is a job... :mad3:

yeah, my ideal school would be NYU stern, but i hear it's really difficult to get into (plus tuition is like $25 grand)... so i'm planning to go there for grad school...

Try for Stern, for undergrad, seriously. Baruch is terrible. In this awful economy, the name of the school on your diploma matters immensely. Don't let the cost hold you back. Most people finance their college education with loans--you can too.

You go to Baruch for business, you seal your own coffin. I'm not even being facetious. You WILL have a tough time getting any job that a Stern grad would get.

Originally posted by GrammarPolice

Try for Stern, for undergrad, seriously. Baruch is terrible. In this awful economy, the name of the school on your diploma matters immensely. Don't let the cost hold you back. Most people finance their college education with loans--you can too.

You go to Baruch for business, you seal your own coffin. I'm not even being facetious. You WILL have a tough time getting any job that a Stern grad would get.

yea ok there....

baruch is a very competitive school to get into....i dont know where u get your info from....yea nyu is top notch but baruch is close behind.....

coming from a community college you need a 3.5 or higher to be accepted.....very competitive...i know from experience

Originally posted by msoprano13

yea ok there....

baruch is a very competitive school to get into....i dont know where u get your info from....yea nyu is top notch but baruch is close behind.....

coming from a community college you need a 3.5 or higher to be accepted.....very competitive...i know from experience

I guess you're a college student--which means you probably have very little idea as to what a Baruch degree will get you. And you won't know until you've gone out and tried to secure a business related job. Take it from someone who has been on the job market.--I know from experience what employers are looking for. Employers see two resumes, one from BARUCH and one from STERN, and the one from BARUCH will likely go into the recycling bin. Look at any major investment bank. It's very doubtful you'll find even a handful of Baruch grads. It's reality.

what are you looking to study?

See, THIS is a big part of whats wrong with business today. What does it matter where you learn the information as long as you can take it and EARN with it. I know there's something to be said for the quality of teaching when comparing different institutions but one student of Finance has to learn the same basic theory for his or her discipline that another one does. What your'e saying, in effect, is that the only reason to get a bachelors and an MBA is so that you can PRAY that the HR and Business brass at a company went to that school also and will good old boy you into the system, even though the guy who went to city college could have been three times the whiz you were in Finance. But that guy wont get the job cuz he doesn't have the piece of paper.

That's bullshit in my book , and something that needs to change if were ever going to salvage the respect that corporate America, as well as true hardworking capitalists everywhere rightfully should deserve.

probably economics

well, i dont' know what your affection toward business as a whole is, but if you dont' think you'd enjoy going through the many core business requirements(ie marketing, operations managment, business law and various other depending on where you go) then you could try CAS(college of arts and sciences) as opposed to stern. They are essentially the same track, as stern kids and cas kids are taught by the same profs, but you wouldn't have to take all the other business requiremnts as well, which could be a good thing if you dont' enjoy the other disciplines.. you also wouldnt' have to deal with the stern curve(no more then 10% a's, next 10%a -, next 20% b's, and the last 60% c's and below..)

i'm double majoring in finance and economics, and minoring in math so i'm in the econ program so speak from first hand experience..

the average SAT for freshmen entering stern this year was around 1420... CAS is a little lower, but not much.. i think maybe 1380 or so... i'm not sure about the criteria used to judge transfer studnets do can't help ya there... hope this helped a bit..

Originally posted by PFloyd40

well, i dont' know what your affection toward business as a whole is, but if you dont' think you'd enjoy going through the many core business requirements(ie marketing, operations managment, business law and various other depending on where you go) then you could try CAS(college of arts and sciences) as opposed to stern. They are essentially the same track, as stern kids and cas kids are taught by the same profs, but you wouldn't have to take all the other business requiremnts as well, which could be a good thing if you dont' enjoy the other disciplines.. you also wouldnt' have to deal with the stern curve(no more then 10% a's, next 10%a -, next 20% b's, and the last 60% c's and below..)

i'm double majoring in finance and economics, and minoring in math so i'm in the econ program so speak from first hand experience..

the average SAT for freshmen entering stern this year was around 1420... CAS is a little lower, but not much.. i think maybe 1380 or so... i'm not sure about the criteria used to judge transfer studnets do can't help ya there... hope this helped a bit..

thank you, that does help a lot...

Originally posted by LogiKandReasoN

See, THIS is a big part of whats wrong with business today. What does it matter where you learn the information as long as you can take it and EARN with it. I know there's something to be said for the quality of teaching when comparing different institutions but one student of Finance has to learn the same basic theory for his or her discipline that another one does. What your'e saying, in effect, is that the only reason to get a bachelors and an MBA is so that you can PRAY that the HR and Business brass at a company went to that school also and will good old boy you into the system, even though the guy who went to city college could have been three times the whiz you were in Finance. But that guy wont get the job cuz he doesn't have the piece of paper.

That's bullshit in my book , and something that needs to change if were ever going to salvage the respect that corporate America, as well as true hardworking capitalists everywhere rightfully should deserve.

Hey I didn't say it was a great system. But put yourself in the shoes of a recruiter. You get 1,000 applications for one position. Stern, Harvard, Columbia are reputed to have better programs, better faculty reputation and more rigorous admissions requirements than Baruch, or St John's etc.

It makes your job easier to select from the "elite" schools. Doesn't mean that person will necessarily be a better candidate, but that's how the system works. It's all about name recognition in most cases sadly. You can whine about the system or accept it.

Hey I didn't say it was a great system. But put yourself in the shoes of a recruiter. You get 1,000 applications for one position. Stern, Harvard, Columbia are reputed to have better programs, better faculty reputation and more rigorous admissions requirements than Baruch, or St John's etc.

It makes your job easier to select from the "elite" schools. Doesn't mean that person will necessarily be a better candidate, but that's how the system works. It's all about name recognition in most cases sadly. You can whine about the system or accept it.

Grammar, I agree with you 100%. This is one of the reasons I am transfering out of my school. I need a school with a great reputation and a great psychology department. Whether you'd like to believe it or not, buisnesses recruit those IVY school HEAVILY. Basically, once you graduate from an ivy school or a top 50 school at least- you are almost guarenteed a job over somebody else. THats life, deal with it, it sucks..work harder.

Im 22 and I just started going to college this september. I go to BMCC and im taking 1 business class. Im thinking of either transferring to Baruch next term or next year. But im certainly not thinking of anything like Columbia or NYU even though im sure they have great business programs, i cant affor it. I wanna get my degree from a respected school and Ive always heard very good things about Baruch, especially their accounting department.

Another thing you guys need to think about is how much experience you have in the work force, if any. Currently i work for a law firm downtown, i have been for over 2 years now. The more expereince you have the easier it'll be to get a job. maybe getting a part time job or an internship will help you get your foot in the door.

if Baurch is crap...then why were the Big Four all over our campus this year?

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

if Baurch is crap...then why were the Big Four all over our campus this year?

:rolleyes:

exactly....i plan on going there for my masters degree,,,

anyway i was on campus with my bro and it was the job fair.....some girl was not allowed to enter the gym becaue she was not wearing a jacket...and she was in full business attire except for the jacket....

I agree 100%.

Finance your education with loans and at the end it's all going to pay off. Look at it this way...you're making an investment into your future.

I want to say something as this is exactly what I'm currently going through. I just completed my GMAT this Saturday as I'm planning to get my MBA. As I'm here on a working visa (I'm German) and I can't (and don't want to) afford grad school full time, I'm planning to get my degree on a part time basis, attending school on weekends only. This decision resulted in me being rather limited in regards to the school I choose.

Anyway, I will probably go to NYIT as they offer a complete Saturday degree, which comes in quite handy considering that I'm a consultant and as such travel quite frequently.

I'm writing cause this discussion here, reminded me of exactly the same crap I've read on other boards (like the Business Week discussion board). I think the system here is pretty screwed up. People are bashing certain schools and it looks like there are only 10 schools that will get you anywhere, and any money spend somewhere else is just a waste. Well, if that's the truth than there would only be a handful of business people that America can show for. Which is bullshit. Not everyone studying business is looking for a job in investment banking etc. and I do believe that companies with somewhat intelligent HR people, see more than the name of the school...if not, oh well, there is more than the US job market out there ;)

where you went to school...what ur GPA was...what programs u were involved in...all mean JACK SHIT....companies usually tend to recruit from the same schools...so u gota find out who does heavy recruiting from your school and get on track to find a job with them.

Originally posted by ghhhhhost

where you went to school...what ur GPA was...what programs u were involved in...all mean JACK SHIT....companies usually tend to recruit from the same schools...so u gota find out who does heavy recruiting from your school and get on track to find a job with them.

true that most companies recruit from the same schools year in and year out, but gpa and programs/internships etc. definetly do mean a lot... a low gpa will typically preclude one from being eligible for most desireable jobs...