Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Can NYC do something with the radio

ya know for being the greatest city in the world be have the wackest radio stations in the world...we need something like the UK has with Radio 1 where they throw huge free parties (i.e. the WMC kickoff party at Nikki Beach in Miami)...and we need good DJ's on the radio like they have...Pete Tong, Judge Jules, Seb Fontaine and the Essentials Mix...now thats Dance music...what the fuck is KTU thinkin playing songs like Stranger in my house and I turn to you...who knows what the hell theyre playing now or days....all i know is that I wanna strangle that jack-off Vic Latino...screaming out "holla" every 5 minutes...or "whats crackalackin"...thats what comes out of the 15 year olds mouths at exit on a friday night...Z100 should just explode...they have to make up their mind on what the hell theyre doin cause u cant go from Jay Z to Blink 182 right after each other....hot 97 and power 105 arent bad...ill give them credit...all im saying is that we need a station that can get world recognition for dance music...we live in the capital of the world....we need something like a Radio 1 or Galaxy 105 in the UK....ever since Twilo closed we lost our world renowned club so we need that back as well....if anyone agrees follow up and if u disagree, by all means reply...im curious to see what everyone thinks

Don't nag on Vic Latino. He's doing his job. He pulls ratings, he makes the station money. If you don't like him shut it off then!

If u knew him personally you would know that he is also a club promoter and a very sucessful one. He has done alot for dance music radio in the United States as a whole!

This is a debate that just keeps on going and going!

"Hot 97 isnt bad".....dont hate on a strictly hip hop radio station just because your first love is Dance music. Ive yet to hear a radio station that packs more hip hop then hot 97 does. New York City has the best radio stations for HH on the east coast, but for dance, and by your observations, it sucks.

The radio stations in NY suck, why can't they broadcast live from like Tiesto on Friday.

In L.I I am at least pleased to have party 105. Its a better radios station than anything in the city. although it does not compare to europe which i can at least get online and i record a few stations.

Party 105 is a good "EFFORT"

BTW I think this thread has to do with electronica not hip hop.. obviously its all over the radio and that happens to be the problem... at least for some people like me that is.

I would much rather live in a straight electronica world where the hip hoppers had to suffer and give in to the culture like they try to do to us.

Originally posted by mattm2o

Don't nag on Vic Latino. He's doing his job. He pulls ratings, he makes the station money. If you don't like him shut it off then!

If u knew him personally you would know that he is also a club promoter and a very sucessful one. He has done alot for dance music radio in the United States as a whole!

This is a debate that just keeps on going and going!

Agreed 110%!! Vic is a class act and does a LOT more then just the air shift that you hear on KTU.

Bern

ok first off i said Hot 97 isnt bad...In other words I have no complaints...im a big hiphop fan as well although the stuff out now is kind of wack....I listen to star and bucwild in the morning and Hot 97 is definitely the best hiphop station in the country....NYC is definitely the capital of the world for hiphop...as for Vic Latino im not criticizing him as a person I just cant stand his lingo...as for his contributions to dance music I just think the American "dance" music is wack and dont see any of his contributions...thats my personal opinion...too much vocals and wack beats.....if u look at a guy like Pete Tong, now thats a man who contributed to dance music (read his Bio)......and as for doing his job im sure he is...hes getting his paychecks and making ratings...i was making a comparison to UK radio stations which are known threw out the world for their groundbreaking approach to dance music and how they go about it....and I think a station like KTU being in NYC would have potential to be one of those stations if it cleaned up its act...Party 105 in LI is definitely a better station than KTU for dance though...i barely get it in Brooklyn but the signal is good enough

Now im not blowing smoke up his ass but I respect him!

Vic was the original music director at Party 105, He also was the music director for WPYO in Orlando florida another Dance station.

He has also been a panelist at the WMC in Miami, and the Billboard Dance music summit. The guy has done alot for the the radio industry!

Now he is at KTU and little by little is trying to make that station the best it can be. Believe me Im sure he too is not happy having to play Las Ketchup, and NSYNC but thats his job. This year KTU also hired Skyywalker the former Program Director of Party 105 (He was my boss when I worked there). Part of the reason why they were both brought in was to make the station more cutting edge. It will deffinatley take a while to do, It's not going to happen overnight. Due to people above them really get the final say.

Anyway Love'em, Hate'em, whatever its all we got!

To add to what matt2mo said, the reason Vic was brought on board was to boost the station's ratings b/c KTU's ratings were slipping badly...they are still not all that great now, but at least they have risen since he came along.

Currently KTU's format is all mixed and they are not adding to many new songs, or good dance songs for that matter, that's why you are hearing so many old recurrents (if u are listening to it, which it sounds like you are)...they are obviously trying to figure out exactly what their identity is as a station and yes if u listen to it right now, u might suffer a lil bit, but hopefully in a little while they will make it a great dance station (I hope so with Skyywalker on board, as he programmed party 105, and i personally think that station for dance, in the states anyway, is amazing).

Until they switch to a pure dance format, or another station comes along and does, yea, NYC dance music radio just isn't what it should be. And if you don't like it there is one simple thing you can do to not be bothered by it: just don't listen.

As for hip-hop stations, I think there is plenty to choose from in that genre in NY, and most of them are pretty good. I am especially loving Power 105 these days with their old school joints.

ok heres the thing...i totally agree with u about NY not being where it should be with dance music...and i also cant kill the messenger in Vic Latino..he probably doesnt wanna spin the shit they tell him to anyway...but what i think that should be done is that radio stations should stick to a guideline as to what music to play because Eminem should not be on K-rock, power 105, hot 97, wackass Z100 and KTU...(K-rock ill never understand why hes on there- probably just cause hes white)...the real NY sound is tribal house...when i was in Ibiza the Europeans loved 3 particular DJ's who are 3 of the biggest and most respected in the world and all come from NY...Roger Sanchez, Erick Morillo and Danny Tenaglia...so who the hell spins on KTU on a Saturday night...DJ Boris, Johnny Vicious and Denny Tsettos...can someone tell me what the fuck is wrong with that...now im not knockin those guys either because personally I heard Johnny Vicious spin one night in south beach and it was one of the best sets ive ever heard...but the people that like these guys are 15 year olds that trip on E at exit...thats the truth...i hope what ur saying is true about them trying to get more "cutting edge" cause they need that...all these UK stations do so much more for dance music its ridiculous...im sure we could all say alot but i have to get back to work...and Liquid Todd's show is awesome..why its on Crap-Rock ill never know.

I have recently moved to NY from London and yes, Radio 1 is a fantastic dance music station (Seb F, Jules, Fergie). They have great weekend music and dance music also plays from 5.30pm for a couple of hours each week night. I'd highly recommend logging onto their site and having a listen. You can listen live (bit difficult sometimes with the 5 hour time diff) or you can listen the previous week's shows. It's making the move here much easier - US radio is soooooo cheesy! The Chris Moyles show (9am - 12pm week days NY time) is also a laugh!

;)

ktu is doin a good job but no matter how "cutting edge' they get, people criticize more....heres an example post that I know you've seen on here 100x

"OMG fuckin KTU is playing Dark Beat!! They're gettin bad"

they play old music people hate

they play new music, people hate.....catch 22 u know?

I agree they should go strictly dance like a power 93 in miami. Tiesto does level 5 regularly now if u listen. Morillo has done level 4 before.

if u guys out there are looking 4 good radio i suggest XM!!!!

it's a lil device that goes in your car..... N u get 24 hour dance music NO commericals & it's not just dance it's every type of music you can think of. AS of right now they have 4 dance channels that cover every form of dance music.

and u pay $10 a month .... it breaks down to 30 cents a day!

if u can afford those Expensive club clothes .... i def think u all should look in gettin XM..... i have it and it's awsome!!!! ..... i neva buy Cd's anymore!! They also bring Dj's every nyt or so like Deep Dish Picotto, Tiestio, PVD, Oakenfold, to mix live ! Sets are siccccckkks..... only bad thing is i neva wanna get outta my car

Does anyone else here have XM?

Originally posted by jjcbebe

BTW I think this thread has to do with electronica not hip hop.. obviously its all over the radio and that happens to be the problem... at least for some people like me that is.

I would much rather live in a straight electronica world where the hip hoppers had to suffer and give in to the culture like they try to do to us.

But one thing you have to see it that New York was the start of most Hip Hop/R&B/Rap Era's, Dance Music is just coming up in the underground, but overseas, its Common place in places like Europe. It would take years for Dance Music to come up like Hip Hop has. And damn jjcbebe, your pretty cute girl...

Originally posted by dannyorbit

if u guys out there are looking 4 good radio i suggest XM!!!!

it's a lil device that goes in your car..... N u get 24 hour dance music NO commericals & it's not just dance it's every type of music you can think of. AS of right now they have 4 dance channels that cover every form of dance music.

and u pay $10 a month .... it breaks down to 30 cents a day!

if u can afford those Expensive club clothes .... i def think u all should look in gettin XM..... i have it and it's awsome!!!! ..... i neva buy Cd's anymore!! They also bring Dj's every nyt or so like Deep Dish Picotto, Tiestio, PVD, Oakenfold, to mix live ! Sets are siccccckkks..... only bad thing is i neva wanna get outta my car

Does anyone else here have XM?

humm i have never heard of this. where do u buy it?

Originally posted by jjcbebe

humm i have never heard of this. where do u buy it?

i used to work at the WIZ so that's where i got mine ..... but now my store is closed n i got laid off:mad: but they sell them all over the place every electronic store u can think of Best buy..... errrr:idea: they sell them in the mall .... all over the place

or u can go 2

XMRADIO.com

another feature that i like is u can go across county and listen to the same radio station with no static!!!! also i rember last year for example I wuz in a Tony Draper phaze (don't ask) but anyways i typed in a request at XMRADIO.com of Tony Draper- Rhythem Ready ..... and they played itt!!!!!! i was sooooo happy !!!..... i've also spoken to a couple of the DJ's on the station , and i must say they are all very nice... and u will never hear a "holaaaaaa" or "wuts crackalackin?" EVER!!!!!!:D

i wrote about this on my xanga site....there was an article in a mag about it...basically we can't have a great dance radio station because america is not all that into dance music...the crowd that all radio stations want to sell to is 25 to 40 males. they buy the most and make the most....so basically money sells. if you guys go out there and promote your music to your friends and make other people love the music, then make the music sell like days go by did for dirty vegas, then we would get a station that really did somehting....as for now, ktu is trying, but dance is still underground here, so just keep promoting and maybe one day, the masses will catch on

• 2 months later...

I dont think there's ever been a station that plays trance, house and dance mixes in NY. KTU plays it at night on Friday and Saturday night. Hot 97 used to play house on Friday and Saturday night. But i'm talking about playing this in the daytime evening and night. Until someone gives this a shot, will never know.

I'd say between all these:

92.3 krock

92.7 LIR

97.1 kiss

z100

102.7 fm-talk

103.5 ktu

Q104.3

New York has some of the best radio in the country.

Every time I travel, I think to myself, no place has good radio stations like we have here (no where near as many, for sure).