Clubplanet Nightlife Community

travelling to LA

sxyaznchiq

Here to help you out. :)

Is work paying for the hotel too? If money is no object, we can give you some suggestions as to which hotels are very good and centrally located.

Basically, most of the top clubs in Los Angeles are from Hollywood (on the east) to Santa Monica (on the west).

If you won't have a rentacar (because LA is very spread out), then you probably want a hotel that won't be too far by cab to where you wish to go.

Post back. :)

LALate

thanks for the info :)

i can choose the area that i want to stay in, but i think work will want to chose the hotel since they'll be paying for it. i most likely will not be renting a car. i was told that west hollywood would be the best part of town for me to stay in since i won't be too mobile :tongue:

You'll definitely want to get a rental car...atleast for a week. You won't get very far without one. I'm sure there are fellow clubber on this board that are willing to show you around town, make a new friend - myself included :cool:

If your work's setting up lodging, I'm guessing they'll put you closer to the office. But yeah, West Hollywood's the place to be. Try for the La Brea area, on Wilshire Blvd. Pretty central to everything...let us know when you're actually out here...p's out

Hey....

Well there is a catch 22 ... if you can choose the area but you have to pay for your own cabs, it will depend on what you want ... to be near shops, or the beach, or clubs.

Santa Monica on the beach has some of the best hotels in California --- Shutters, Casa Del Mar, Lowes, etc. But Santa Monica only has a limited number of hangouts, no clubs (aka "discotects") but has great shopping, great food, lots of markets, etc.

The great clubs (discotects) of Los Angeles are in West Hollywood and Hollywood.

Beverly Hills abuts West Hollywood on the west and therefore is cheaper cab drive, but not cheap cheap, just cheaper. There you have the world's greatest hotels, expensive shopping, not too many markets (but enough to survive).

West Hollywood is a more dense congested area like Hollywood. It too has some exceptional hotels (Ian Schrager's Hotel, etc.) and if you stay there you are in the middle of the nightlife. Not very easy for markets and very limited shopping.

I would recommend, that if you are going out 3-5 times per week after work, rentacar yourself. LA is huge! And the price of cabs after two nights will be too much. With a car, stay on the beach in Santa Monica and from there drive where you want.

For hotel info, try, what is it, la.citysearch.com. Good site, some of the sitegoer reviews are strange, but generally very helpful.

Post back any questions you got. And if you want to get into the LA nightlife vip only events, then use lalate.com

LALATE

you need a car. anyone who tells you you can get along without one is wrong, unless that person is willing to chauffeur you around anywhere at any time. when my car was in the shop for a week, i had a very hard time getting to and from work; i just barely made the last bus twice (the last bus of the night leaving at 9:15!!!), and getting to work took 2 hours by bus instead of the 1/2 hour it took me by car. and that was when it was on schedule and connected to the other bus that also had to be on schedule.

public transit is worthless, cab rides from place to place will be at least $20. i had to go to the hospital once and the closest one was $35, only to find that that one didn't take my insurance. another $35 or so to the correct hospital. as this story tells, that week without my car and when i was very sick was a very horrible week :( .

so, as a friend, i have to tell you that you need a car.

the 2 big club scenes in LA are Spundae and Giant. Spundae is on Santa Monica Blvd somewhere. Not sure where Giant is anymore. Also on Fridays, check out Red at the Arena Cafe, which is right next to Spundae's Circus Disco (except Spudae's on Sat nights). If you really want to kick things off early in the week, check out Honey on thursday nights at Cafe Arena. I think the address is 6655 Santa monica Blvd, or something like that...enjoy the debauchery

:eek:

Originally posted by tequiza

the 2 big club scenes in LA are Spundae and Giant. Spundae is on Santa Monica Blvd somewhere. Not sure where Giant is anymore. Also on Fridays, check out Red at the Arena Cafe, which is right next to Spundae's Circus Disco (except Spudae's on Sat nights). If you really want to kick things off early in the week, check out Honey on thursday nights at Cafe Arena. I think the address is 6655 Santa monica Blvd, or something like that...enjoy the debauchery

:eek:

honey has actually moved to circus disco. so, as an easy-to-follow summary:

THURSDAYS

honey @ circus disco

FRIDAYS

red @ arena

SATURDAYS

spundae @ circus disco

arena and circus disco share that same address: 6655 santa monica blvd. when on the outdoor smoking balcony of arena, you can see the entrance of circus :) .

Thanks for the update, Weyes. This just goes to show how long its been since I've been out there. Is Giant still at Hollywood Athletic Club? Can't wait for New Years Eve with PVD. He was a dissapointment last year..better redeem himself this year! :mad

Originally posted by weyes

honey has actually moved to circus disco. so, as an easy-to-follow summary:

THURSDAYS

honey @ circus disco

FRIDAYS

red @ arena

SATURDAYS

spundae @ circus disco

arena and circus disco share that same address: 6655 santa monica blvd. when on the outdoor smoking balcony of arena, you can see the entrance of circus :) .

Thanks for the info... is PVD going to be in L.A. for new year's eve? I thought he was going to be in SF??? I'm a PVD newbie and I just heard him spin for the first time last weekend in NYC. Now I'm hooked.....so where ever he's going to be for new year's eve, I'll be there. :D

No sweat newbie :)

PVD's spinning in SF? Is he gonna pull the same shit as last year? Heard he was spinning in Vegas, then rushed to Giant Village - hence the 3:30am arrival. Too bad Sasha's not in the line up..he was rocking last year!

Originally posted by liliang79

Thanks for the info... is PVD going to be in L.A. for new year's eve? I thought he was going to be in SF??? I'm a PVD newbie and I just heard him spin for the first time last weekend in NYC. Now I'm hooked.....so where ever he's going to be for new year's eve, I'll be there. :D

pvd will be here this year. i lovedlovedloved "out there and back" and'll even say that it changed me, but i've seen pvd twice now and he disappointed me both times. i dunno if i wanna spend all that new year's eve dough on a party i'm not all that sure i'll like. there aren't any other events i'd really like to attend, but just spending the night with some friends could be great :D .

and to answer you, tequiza, giant moves from place to place, but hasn't been doing much lately. they really dropped the ball when pvd was here in june and fell out of favor even with some of their most devoted peeps.

"Out there and back" is a classic. Politics of Dance kicks thing up a notch (Bam!) Heard about the mid summer PVD appearance. Rumored some odd 3am till dawn hours. Woulda love to be there..

Originally posted by weyes

pvd will be here this year. i lovedlovedloved "out there and back" and'll even say that it changed me, but i've seen pvd twice now and he disappointed me both times. i dunno if i wanna spend all that new year's eve dough on a party i'm not all that sure i'll like. there aren't any other events i'd really like to attend, but just spending the night with some friends could be great :D .

and to answer you, tequiza, giant moves from place to place, but hasn't been doing much lately. they really dropped the ball when pvd was here in june and fell out of favor even with some of their most devoted peeps.

Originally posted by tequiza

"Out there and back" is a classic. Politics of Dance kicks thing up a notch (Bam!) Heard about the mid summer PVD appearance. Rumored some odd 3am till dawn hours. Woulda love to be there...

don't feel bad about missing that gig; it was really a disaster. the lines were ridiculous from the beginning - people who bought tix online had to wait on 2 lines: one to pick up their tickets and then get in the regular line :confused::mad: . and the place was too hot inside for me to even get a good listen; i spent almost the whole thing outside. and the hours were changed from 9pm-5am to 3am-11am at the last minute (2 days before the gig), and switched to a wack venue, so a lot of people wanted their money back. that morning also happened to be father's day, so a lot of people had to be with their dads and couldn't be out all morning partying. fiasco - nothing less :no: .

• 2 weeks later...