Clubplanet Nightlife Community

house takeover of dc?

MadamMillie

it seems like dc's been taken over by househeads. now i'm not knocking house or anything, i'm really not, but why arent people like anthony pappa, parks & wilson, steve lawler comin' around anymore? yeah yeah, the closing of buzz has a lot to do with it, but the people i just mentioned came to the vault and to the edge. dallas has a lot more than dc in the way of prog and tribal than dc anymore. makes me sad:(

Well, the problem is, of course, complex. It's obviously not the music, but rather, the venue. Any place that draws more than 100 or so people is going to be targeted. Buzz gets shut down and the one-offs are damn near impossible to throw anymore.

Unless your Dream, of course. That place can pack in over 1000 (if not much more) but they sell it as an upscale club...blah, blah, blah, though I'm sure they've had their run-ins with the law. They've also had to create an image of "cleaning up the neighborhood" (and they just might) to use as a likely defense.

Point is, since the venues are forced to be small, or get harrassed by authorities, where could you invite a big name to spin? Forget SnD, Tenaglia, Howells. But even promoters for somebody like Lawler, who can easily draw several hundred, wouldn't waste their time and money on a itty bitty venue like 1223 or Red. They'd never make the dough to cover the cost. (Sure, we got S&P and MV & Behrouz, but Bullitt is prolly doing some down home favors for the guys at 1223.)

So Cusick comes to Dream, the only venue that could hold a big crowd. But did you see how empty that room was by 1:00? The crowd Dream caters to doesn't know those DJs and the crowd that does won't (or can't) come to Dream.

Solution: the locals will have to sustain prog in the lounges and wait until something opens up or do it ourselves. That, or more parties in Silver Spring. :(

where can you invite a big (or semi-big) name to spin? how about the edge? what are they doin on fri nights? i think sat nights are house, no? ty t could prolly bring in someone decent. i personally think the prob runs deeper than that, and that is that dc is just becoming a house town. with the m3 nights at 5, basic (?) @ the edge, red, ESL, vision @ up, people just want to hear house music, not the prog we love. we're being overrun, in other words

Originally posted by MadamMillie

where can you invite a big (or semi-big) name to spin? how about the edge? what are they doin on fri nights? i think sat nights are house, no? ty t could prolly bring in someone decent. i personally think the prob runs deeper than that, and that is that dc is just becoming a house town. with the m3 nights at 5, basic (?) @ the edge, red, ESL, vision @ up, people just want to hear house music, not the prog we love. we're being overrun, in other words

Hopefully Friday's at 5 will start filling that void. As long as we can keep Buster from spinning extended remixes of Sandstorm this Friday so he doesn't set a bad precedent, it may be promising.

BTW, for those that haven't been to 5 lately, it's money in there. They got two new shiny disco balls and killer lights. I think they also have a green laser.

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Hopefully Friday's at 5 will start filling that void. As long as we can keep Buster from spinning extended remixes of Sandstorm this Friday so he doesn't set a bad precedent, it may be promising.

BTW, for those that haven't been to 5 lately, it's money in there. They got two new shiny disco balls and killer lights. I think they also have a green laser.

sheeiit. you know i'ma drop that track at least 4 times that night. and you'll be there shady...you'll be there singing along and smiling.

Originally posted by revaluation

The crowd Dream caters to doesn't know those DJs and the crowd that does won't (or can't) come to Dream.

I understand someone who WON'T come but I don't get how someone CAN'T come to Dream. I've never been to Dream and am not pressed on going. But why would someone be able to go to Nation, Five, Edge, etc but not Dream?

Originally posted by MadamMillie

it seems like dc's been taken over by househeads. now i'm not knocking house or anything, i'm really not, but why arent people like anthony pappa, parks & wilson, steve lawler comin' around anymore? yeah yeah, the closing of buzz has a lot to do with it, but the people i just mentioned came to the vault and to the edge. dallas has a lot more than dc in the way of prog and tribal than dc anymore. makes me sad:(

That's a good question bc I'd love to see me some Steve Lawler.....as for a House takeover?? I don't think so bc it's always been there. DC's House roots run very, very deep and with much history. I know one of my all-time DC House djs has been into it almost as long as I have been alive!

As for the progressive sound, is it not fairly new? As in less than 10yrs? I haven't a clue, but I have noticed large amounts of ppl do not venture out to see such aforementioned djs unless they happened to be @ Buzz. So I think it may be more the venue. Or maybe that there just aren't as many fans into that progressive sound? It's too bad bc I love the tribal, progressive sound myself.

*shrug*

Ahh who knows, I thought I had a point.

:tongue:

-YG ....HouseHead ...yet a lover of any bootie shaking music. :D

Originally posted by yellowgirl

As for the progressive sound, is it not fairly new? As in less than 10yrs? I haven't a clue, but I have noticed large amounts of ppl do not venture out to see such aforementioned djs unless they happened to be @ Buzz. So I think it may be more the venue. Or maybe that there just as many fans into that sound? It's too bad bc I love the tribal, progressive sound myself.

*shrug*

Ahh who knows, I thought I had a point.

:tongue:

-YG ....HouseHead ...yet a lover of any bootie shaking music. :D

Progressive is the only music worth listening to....everything else is candy, unintelligent, crap-ass, Oakenfold bullshit.....but thats just my 4-in-the-morning drunk ass opinion.....

btw, gua rapo/5 was a blast!

oh, Red Sat's are fun too.....

what yellow girl said.:) I feel that the DC scene is still a bit uneducated when it comes to progressive. Many people I know agree with me as well. I'd say that progressive is for people that are in the know. As for house music in DC, it's been around here for a while. People like the Drive safe crew and sam the man burns were spinning it for lord knows how long.

Originally posted by frost350

I understand someone who WON'T come but I don't get how someone CAN'T come to Dream. I've never been to Dream and am not pressed on going. But why would someone be able to go to Nation, Five, Edge, etc but not Dream?

bc Dream is 21+ and a lot of the kids who frequented Buzz aren't...