Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Your end of the year top DJ list....

Guest saleen351

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I meant no insult, but what I was getting as was that you seemed to be coming down on me and others for not being "in the know" as much as you. Musical elitisim sucks as much as monetary elitism.

I'm a photographer/computer geek by trade. I try to keep up with my DJs so to speak, but I know that I've only seen the 'common' DJs. I don't have the time always to follow up on the latest suggestions that people put forth. In all honesty, if you could hook me up with some demoes or suggest some CDs of the DJs you mentioned, I'd be willing to give them a try. I might just be espousing their virtues the next day. I'm checking out Arc tomorrow, and plan on giving Dennis Rodgers a good listen before James Z. goes on.

I can understand your statements about JZ, Danny H. and Lee Burridge, yeah, they're the "common" DJs, but to me they're tops...ask anyone on this board, when either of those three are in town, I'm all over the place!

On the other side of the coin, I'd hope you'd give my "more obscure" choices a chance, such as DJFX and Utah Saints. If you want an FX demo, he's on the board here, and I'm sure he'll gladly hook you up.

Oh, and I saw the S2 on Ebay for $1700 hehe :)

Here's my list:

Tony Humphries - Diva house\Garage house pioneer

Fish go Deep - Irelands embassadors of deephouse

Andy Caldwell - Incredible vocally garage/deephouse

Tom Middleton- Labels don't do this guy justice

Timewriter - Funky tech house

Miguel Migs - The funkiest basslines I ever heard

Mauricio Aviles - Deephouse

Danny Howells - Consistently reinvents his sound

Meng/FX - Breaks, Downtempo, Prog, Trip hop

DHM - Experimental house

Jimmy T - Retro funky house

Deeper Substance - Experimental house

Jask - Deephouse, garage master

Originally posted by andrewthomas

howells? <<old news

He's not everyone's cup of tea but I really dig his sound.

James Zabelia?<<same style as everyone else

As far as James Zabelia goes. I'm not a fan of his music but one things for sure. He definitely does not sound like everyone else. He mixes reggae in some of his mixes...

JP doesnt have residency at the biggest club in the united states for no reason

Post up one of JP's mixes. Let's hear him

All I wanna say is I had the pleasure of hearing Junior Vasquez spin at the old Warsaw (which was simply amazing) and I had the honor of hearing him at TWILO twice in NYC... all I have to say is he, by far, was theeee most amazing DJ I ever heard - he had me going for 9 straight hours each time.

Another one - Victor Calderone. I love this man.

As for JP - no offense to anyone, however he was the "Opening" DJ at LEVEL a couple years back - he was absolutely horrible. I mean, NOBODY was in the main room; we were in the RED ROOM listening to another AWESOME local DJ - LAZERO LEON. Now that boy kicked some ass. I am, by NO means, righting off JP - he just has YET to prove anything to me.

Okay carry on, I need a beer:tongue:

Lola:D

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by velvetropeprod

Junior has a new CD out. It's live from Exit. It's called Earth 2. That will give you a taste of Junior. Don't forget, Junior basically created house music.

DENNY TSETTOS HAS ONE OF HIS TRACKS ON THAT CD.... ALSO CALDERONES CD AS WELL..

Originally posted by georgeacasta2

ahhhh, NO

Frankie Knuckles, Larry Levan, Masters @ Work and Labels like Salsoul started house music.

actually GA if you are going to include MAW on that list (which I dont think you should) then you have to include Junior.....just because of the timeline......he was the resident at the legendary Sound Factory (the original one) by the time MAW got together...

but house music began way before both of them....

Marshall Jefferson, Ron Hardy, Frankie Knuckles, Larry Levan, David Mancuso...those are some of the true pioneers of house music!!!

Originally posted by djoscarg

actually GA if you are going to include MAW on that list (which I dont think you should) then you have to include Junior.....just because of the timeline......he was the resident at the legendary Sound Factory (the original one) by the time MAW got together...

but house music began way before both of them....

Marshall Jefferson, Ron Hardy, Frankie Knuckles, Larry Levan, David Mancuso...those are some of the true pioneers of house music!!!

Bows down to master G

owned_1.jpg

2002 has been a long year but here's my list in no order.

Danny Howells - consistently one of the bets dj's period. He can rock house/prog/techno whatever.

Oscar G & Ralph Falcon MURK - I had the oppurtunity to hear these guys play once together and they were great. Seeing Oscar drop deepish house at Space was amazing. They flow so well together.

Stryke - What can I say about Greg, you blew me the fuck away as usual, but on my birthday you absolutely floored me and probably everyone in the room. Hands down one of the best sets of music I've ever heard. I have never danced so hard in my life. I couldn't feel my legs the next day!#@!$!!

Stella was a nice way to end it all then the wicked downtempo 1hr set. Definiltely a night to remember forever.

Ashley Casselle - at Spin there was no support at Vibe there wasn't much either, but that set at Vibe was great. Really introduced me to some great records. Groove Armada - Lovebox anyone? :) Watch out for this guy in 2003 he will start early with an essential mix the 12th of January. BIG IT UP!

Richie Hawtin/Sven Vath - It's been a long time since one CD has really changed my outlook on music. One of those cd's is the Sound of the 3rd Season. Richie and Sven need to come to Miami. I will definitely say this. This CD is fuckin amazing. John Starlight - Blood Angels is one of my definitely standouts. Thanks to everyone who has been pushin me to listen to more Techno. It really is a brillaint genre of music and I have a feeling it will be in more DJ's boxes in the near future.

Slam - hmm what I can say about Glasgow's finest. I only saw them once at WMC, but with a live set floating around the net every week or so. I get to hear them more often than probably anyone. Sick sick tech-house/house/techno whatever. These fuckers can throw down with the best of them oh yeah they run Soma records too. Consistency is key for these two and expect nothing but the best in 2003, DO NOT MISS THE SOMA PARTY @ WMC YOU WILL BE SORRY IF YOU DO.

DEEP DOWN IN MIAMI,

Ramon C.

areyourestricted?

PS: Saleen,

about OG not playing vocal tracks I think you better listen up again. I heard him play that scumfrog remix of iio , a fade remix of sarah mclaughan which was fuckin' excellent, although I'm still waiting on hearing Some Lovin (Original) on a big system like Space.I'm sure its time will come and I'll be blown away.

What vocal tracks are you talking about . IF there's so many good vocal tracks about why haven't we heard more of them in everyone's set?

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by rcrespo

PS: Saleen,

about OG not playing vocal tracks I think you better listen up again. I heard him play that scumfrog remix of iio , a fade remix of sarah mclaughan which was fuckin' excellent, although I'm still waiting on hearing Some Lovin (Original) on a big system like Space.I'm sure its time will come and I'll be blown away.

What vocal tracks are you talking about . IF there's so many good vocal tracks about why haven't we heard more of them in everyone's set?

ask anyone from the nyc or nj area about the vocals down here. They only play like 1 or 2 a night.... Nothing to write home about. How can these djs down here not play Jr. V Rollercoaster track? Its one of his best tracks, and these guys won't play it. Why?

Thats just one example. There is few anthem vox out there, but plenty of great deep vocals.. Oh and lets not forget classics... Miami refuses to play them as well.

Its funny to see some of you shut down other peoples opinions & post these "I know more than you about music & this is my way to brag about it" djs.

I posted mine based on live performances. but I did forget to mention one of my favs on cd...

Chris Fortier - truly sets the mood just right on cd. Sounds great live too. had a chance to catch him once, live at conference this year and he threw down a great set- although it was brief & early in the night. I think this guy would sound great on the Space patio w/ Roland...

Originally posted by biznation00

Its funny to see some of you shut down other peoples opinions & post these "I know more than you about music & this is my way to brag about it" djs.

I don't know if I came across that way with my long ass list and my house music history lesson. If I did I apologize to anyone who read it :)

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by georgeacasta2

I don't know if I came across that way with my long ass list and my house music history lesson. If I did I apologize to anyone who read it :)

apology accepted...:)