Clubplanet Nightlife Community

why did roxy fridays close?

Originally posted by leftymo

Man o man... Oh by the way, I just found out PVD's New York date now has a TBC listed for the venue, it was roxy...

So it maybe changed!

And there's nothing wrong w/ hip hop, you can listen to it on the radio, watch it on MTV, and well, get it all the time. Every lounge has it, almost all clubs have it... They play songs everyone has heard of and can sing to it, and its basically the same songs over and over...

All of my colleagues here in NY are 100% hip hop.... I myself am dying b/c I like to dance, and the hip hop scene is about grinding some girl... not the reason I go out.

The dance scene is just a little faster paced, far more fun...

Nothing better than electronic to get your groove on... If any of you get a chance to make it out to LA or Miami for their dance scene, I'd recommend it. I've heard Dallas is gettin into it big time also.

Hip hop is nice for the radio's & TV... Trance/House...now that's when the party gets started.

Ugh...WTF....I'm too tired to argue about this anymore. :blown:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spragga, what are you arguing? that there is a lack of quality venues for hip hop?

i have to disagree with you. you named 2 clubs, when i can think about 50 places off the top of my head that are always spinning hip hop, from chichi lounges, to super clubs, to local bars.

electronica music gets the shit end of the stick b/c it is not as popular as hip hop (ie, hip hop = money). with the removal of the roxy friday parties, synthetic sadhus cancelling all nyc parties, baktun shutting down, the shitty state of estate, the closing of tunnel/twilo, don't you think that electronica has taken a big hit in nyc (on a club level)?

Originally posted by kitty19

spragga, what are you arguing? that there is a lack of quality venues for hip hop?

i have to disagree with you. you named 2 clubs, when i can think about 50 places off the top of my head that are always spinning hip hop, from chichi lounges, to super clubs, to local bars.

electronica music gets the shit end of the stick b/c it is not as popular as hip hop (ie, hip hop = money). with the removal of the roxy friday parties, synthetic sadhus cancelling all nyc parties, baktun shutting down, the shitty state of estate, the closing of tunnel/twilo, don't you think that electronica has taken a big hit in nyc (on a club level)?

Didn't I hear all this talk about new clubs opening up within the next year or so? I have no problem with hip-hop venues.

The PROBLEM that I have is peeps saying hip-hop blows. If that's your opinion - so be it. Just shut your damn mouth and keep it to yourselves. God knows if I said shit about one of YOUR favorite DJ's here.

THAT'S MY PROBLEM!!!

Do I need to spell it out further???

Originally posted by spragga25

Didn't I hear all this talk about new clubs opening up within the next year or so? I have no problem with hip-hop venues.

The PROBLEM that I have is peeps saying hip-hop blows. If that's your opinion - so be it. Just shut your damn mouth and keep it to yourselves. God knows if I said shit about one of YOUR favorite DJ's here.

THAT'S MY PROBLEM!!!

Do I need to spell it out further???

cool, i thought it was about people bitching that it was becoming a hip hop place. hey, whatever tickles your pickle! nothing wrong with hip hop. :bootysha:

Originally posted by kitty19

cool, i thought it was about people bitching that it was becoming a hip hop place. hey, whatever tickles your pickle! nothing wrong with hip hop. :bootysha:

I do have a problem with that as well...but I'm too tired to get into it now

Roxy was a great place & i met a lot of nice ass people from there & it's a shame that this is happenin, but let's just see how it works out..plus, there weren't too many good clubs on a friday night that would allow 18 year olds in to party, so that could possibly be another reason people are gettin mad..we all know that saturaday nights in the city is pretty much 21 & over so friday was our only night..i started goin to roxy when i was 19 & didn't feel like going to another club..

now i am looking forward to see how exit does cuz it sounds amazing...i do agree wit spragga & people should just stop talkin about how much they hate hip-hop..we haven't heard all the hip-hop lovers say that they can't stand club music & i think if that did happen a lot of people would be gettim mad & going off at others...

At every Hip Hop venue or even in the rooms in larger clubs all you come across is SKANKY ASS PEOPLE TRYING TO RUB UP ALL OVER EACH OTHER...DOn't get me wrong hip hop isn't bad...but I don't pay money to go hear shit I can listen to IN MY CAR BY TURNING ON HOT 97....

As far as Exit...if it changes all well & good but I won't step foot inside that place....& Roxy REALLY should have continued Friday nights & made this hip hop bs another night....Roxy really established itself into THE BEST Friday party & I'm sure getting good talent wouldn't have been a problem at all......I think I'll reside elsewhere until shit changes & goes back to the way it SHOULD be :)

Originally posted by sweetie029

At every Hip Hop venue or even in the rooms in larger clubs all you come across is SKANKY ASS PEOPLE TRYING TO RUB UP ALL OVER EACH OTHER...DOn't get me wrong hip hop isn't bad...but I don't pay money to go hear shit I can listen to IN MY CAR BY TURNING ON HOT 97....

Ironic...don't ya think? :blank:

As far as Exit...if it changes all well & good but I won't step foot inside that place....& Roxy REALLY should have continued Friday nights & made this hip hop bs another night....Roxy really established itself into THE BEST Friday party & I'm sure getting good talent wouldn't have been a problem at all......I think I'll reside elsewhere until shit changes & goes back to the way it SHOULD be :)

It just goes to show that when owners make a decision, thats the bottom line. In reality, Roxy's saturday party was doing 10x better than their friday party. Im not even sure how long hip hop will last there. They'll be doing some one-off's soon with PVD and other International guys.

Most of the Roxy promoters have moved to exit bringin the same attitude that made Sexy @ the Roxy what it was. I agree that u cant just move a party to another location and continue it without a hitch. It will take time. But soon enough it will almost seem like sexy @ exit, under the guise of Evolution.

Many people seem to have the attitude of "i wont step foot in there, even if it changes" which really puzzles me. I had the same attitude. But when u think about it, if all the things that made u stay away are gone and changed for the better, why not check it out? Im not saying all those things are changed already b/c they're not but steps in the right direction are being taken.

And as for this whole post, its simply a judgement call. Roxy was getting to the point that exit fell into last year where it was packed for the Int'l guys and less than packed for anything else. So the owners assumed that everytime they want a packed friday nite--they need to shell out 30-50-70,000 bucks for a DJ and they didnt want to do it.

RIP Sexy @ Roxy :(

Its Time for the Evolution :)

Mike Bugout

Ironic...don't ya think? :blank:

I'm wouln't waste time going to a venue to hear music I just heard in my car on the way there....I never knocked hip hop...but in a club...I'd like to hear different....As far as vibe...there is no vibe imo....all the hip hop venues I've been to (maybe they weren't the greatest) were filled witha bunch of horny ass people groping each other to the point where you couldn't get 5 min. in to dance b/c there was someone trying to touch you.....granted that goes on everywhere...I'd rather be at a venue where the MUSIC, music you DON'T hear everyday mind you is the reason everyone is there...I highly doubt that's the purpose when Jay z & Beyonce come on in a club...Hip hop VENUES aren't my cup of tea :)

I think sometimes ppl don't realize that it takes a lot of money and promotion to get massive heads in a club...and if it isn't consistent, the powers that be at whatever venue it is are not going to want to continue to lose money.

It's a tough bizness, especially these days, that's why you see so many parties and clubs come and go...

I'm wouln't waste time going to a venue to hear music I just heard in my car on the way there....I never knocked hip hop...but in a club...I'd like to hear different....As far as vibe...there is no vibe imo....all the hip hop venues I've been to (maybe they weren't the greatest) were filled witha bunch of horny ass people groping each other to the point where you couldn't get 5 min. in to dance b/c there was someone trying to touch you.....granted that goes on everywhere...I'd rather be at a venue where the MUSIC, music you DON'T hear everyday mind you is the reason everyone is there...I highly doubt that's the purpose when Jay z & Beyonce come on in a club...Hip hop VENUES aren't my cup of tea :)

It's funny how peeps say that hip-hop isn't club music. :laugh:

The part that pisses me off is the SKANKY ASS PEOPLE TRYING TO RUB UP ALL OVER EACH OTHER comment you made.

I guess I'm skanky, my borther and sister are skanky and the few peeps in here that actually like to dance to hip-hop are skanky as well.

I'm doing my best to bite my tongue...I really am...but I'm getting tested here :mad:

Why do people in here post a topic and then everyone gets completly out of topic and what not.

First of all Hip hop is ok , not what i prefer, people can't hate on that shit either because its music, makes takes effort made by the people, yeah whatever i rather not here hip hop at all in a club even though the girls get down with it. but I am just stop fighting ova some stupid shit

And let the poeple who like it do it, and for who dont like, Shut the fuck up

Thank you very much

and if offended you in anyway

Fuck you!

The part that pisses me off is the SKANKY ASS PEOPLE TRYING TO RUB UP ALL OVER EACH OTHER comment you made.

I guess I'm skanky, my borther and sister are skanky and the few peeps in here that actually like to dance to hip-hop are skanky as well.

I'm doing my best to bite my tongue...I really am...but I'm getting tested here :mad:

i agree when she said that because once hip-hop comes on i get guys that just come over & grab me & wanna dance & i don't necessarily wanna...but that is obviosuly not true for everyone that loves hip-hop..maybe she said that based on her own experiences & that's the only onesshe has had....

don't get me wrong, i really do like hip-hop, but people tend to act differently to this than when club music comes on, that's all..

Originally posted by erica127

i agree when she said that because once hip-hop comes on i get guys that just come over & grab me & wanna dance & i don't necessarily wanna...but that is obviosuly not true for everyone that loves hip-hop..maybe she said that based on her own experiences & that's the only onesshe has had....

don't get me wrong, i really do like hip-hop, but people tend to act differently to this than when club music comes on, that's all..

It's still F'ed up in my opinion...because it's not always like that....besides who could grind to club music anyways? You'd look like a couple pelvic bobble head dolls out there!

how do people "act" when hip-hop come on? Do they all of a sudden grow hairy knuckles and drag on the floor? All you gotta do is tell a guy "no" - simple as that.

I just can't believe what I'm seeing here with this thread- fuckin disappointed! Now I truly see why I can't wait to get the hell out of this city! :blown:

Sluts and skanky ass people pop up EVERYWHERE...Hell, I've seen people grinding in Roxy and it wasn't to hip hop...so you singling hip hop is quite wrong in my opinion because if you've been to a club in New York then you've seen two individuals slutting out on the dance floor at one point or another....enough on that though

Im actually looking forward to the new night @ Roxy...I love hip hop just as much as I love house, trance, etc...it's a change and you either deal with it or just don't go...

look, i am sorry if i offended anyone cuz i sure as hell did not mean too..i mean that people dance differently..i agree wit u that when club music is on people can't dance together & i always say no when a guy asks me cuz i dunno how any two people can reallly dance together.

personally, i love dancin wit a guy that i am wit to hip hop cuz u can get close wit them & shit...once again, i am sorry if i was givin the wrong impression..i know all i have to do is say no..but honestly, i have a ghetto booty & it causes mad guys to come over & grab me or ask me to dance (not tryin to sound conceited, i actually HATE the attention)...but after a while it gets annoyin to keep sayin no & push guys off of me cuz i just wanna have a good time

Spragga: "I can't wait to get the hell out of this city! "

Oh tell me about this... I'm dyin here. I've heard NY has the ability to chew you up and spit you out, but this is ridiculous.

I'm struggling to find one decent thing to say about this place and I can't. Shitty weather, ugly girls, and every club/lounge plays hip hop exclusively. The dance scene is dead, and or dying. These in itself are three great reasons to leave here.

Again nothing wrong with hiphop, just not my taste when I go out. I mean how else would you explain me knowing ALL of the hip hop songs and not even listening to the genre?

Dance fans... go to LA/SF/Miami/Dallas... and maybe Glow in D.C. Where Ferry is a resident.

LA had two massive new years parties which attracted well over 5000 people a piece... and it wasn't hip hop! DJ Irene, Swedish Egil, & the giant village which everyone knows about... what a blast!