Clubplanet Nightlife Community

opening a place in NY.....Haha

ok,

well i know some people on this board, and the ones who know me, know that i Vent alot threw writting, so i feel the need to Vent on you guys, lol...

for the past 2 years of my life, i have tried to open this club that i am currently working on, and i never thought that Creating my dream, whould take so much out of me, lol

i think i knew how much work, and passsion, love and EVEN some hate, Would take, to put into this. But by no means, have i had the "umpth" to take it as far as it is going, and i cant wait for the opening....

with that said....

has anyone else who frequents this board, ever tried to open there own place? cause i would love to here Story's and mistakes that lead to BAD things....Cause i feel like i have to Bend in alot of the things that are going into this, if its Real, and if its coming from my min,d and my heart, should i bend? if managment feels it should go in other directions? Should i allow this, or should i put my foot down?......cause i feel like i should make this 100% MINE

ok?

im just trying so DAMM FUCKING HARD TO NOT HAVE ANOTHER CLUB WITH BOTTLE SERVICE, I MEAN, I WANT TO open a DANCE CLUB

OK

not A fucking lounge....

but a DANCE CLUB

Big dance floor, Boxes and platforms, to stand up on, Lights all around, you, Sound coming from Everywhere!! and people just fucking WERKING IT!!

nitty gritty Deap Dark, dirty NEW YORK dance club!!!!! LOL....

WHY does everyone in NY have to be in such a BOTTLE Service kinda mood? why is NY SO WEAK NOW> ? LOL

im venting.....

what do u guys thinks sounds better?

A HARD CORE DANCE CLUB....with multiple bars, n rooms, and not a HUGE Supper club facade with it....

or...

a Very Upscale, night club, with a cute dance floor, and Bottle service, ?

For real.....

dont u think we need another Dance club?

i cant take another person, who TRYS to tell me my idea will not last......BUT YET.....have u noticed the bottle crowd,'s clubs stay open for a shelf life of 6 months?

Me<<<

worked in bar management for a space that catered the bottle popping crowd...i only worked there for a year for reasons that you mention..it doesnt last...the crowd gets bored and moves on to the next spot...place goes under...new partners/owners come in...remodel...open under a new name..(but that bar only gets a fresh coat of paint"...first month great....6 months later...dead again....and the cycle continues...

as for those dark boxes where people dance to music....i miss those..and the few that do exist...im quite bored of because 1. i have been there to many times or 2. the space is monopolized by the same group of promoters/dj's making it bland and boring

and if you think about it...the dark boxes last longer...only losing to the city..and not for lack of attendance..

if your opening this up anywhere in the east village..it will explode...i cant go to guernica anymore (boredom)...opium den sounds like shit and is annoying....sullivan room wants bottle service..etc etc..

i would like a no b.s. club where fun and music is the focus.

-z

ihear yea, if it wa sin the village it would explode...

1 minus i have with the building is its loacation..its Very close to the Defunct Twilo, n Tunnel AREA.....but in no means am i trying to open a BIG flasshy club....its gonna be a Musice, dance club, with all the trimming's...and i wanna keep it DARK n spooky....

Originally posted by jaysea

1 minus i have with the building is its loacation..its Very close to the Defunct Twilo, n Tunnel AREA.....but in no means am i trying to open a BIG flasshy club....its gonna be a Musice, dance club, with all the trimming's...and i wanna keep it DARK n spooky....

good luck mofo!

:aright:

jaysea,

as we have discussed before, i was very close to opening a space in nyc. very similar to what you discussed, i was intersted in opening a dance palace vs a bottle service establishment. ultimately, i decided against it for several reasons which I can discuss further with you via IM.

anyway. first and most important question I have for you is: Who is the primary investor in your space? Is it you or someone else (you made mention of management) If it is you, then I say the hell with what they say, open what you want, how you want it. If it is someone else's money, then I feel you may have a problem. Any savy investor is going to want the biggest bang for their buck. In the short run, the bottle type venue will almost always yield greater returns. with the uncerntainty of NYC nightlife, the short run would be any wise investors biggest interst. This is perhaps why you are running into these issues with management.

can a hardcore dance club work in NYC? i think so. it will however take a longer time to become profitable vs. a bottle service space. assuming you can make it through the first couple of months.. i also believe a hardcore dance club will have a much longer life span than a bottle service establishment.

things to remember.. make sure you have a long lease on your space with an option out (if things are not working). make sure your licenses, permits are all in order. have a good amount a capital to survive those first couple of months. well, that's all i can think of right now. Good Luck

Dami

Fuck upscale.

Its all about deep dark and dirty. Its all about the music. Its all about being yourself.

Good luck. It would be nice for someone with some kind of backround and one who has been through some shit. To turn around and start a new party...

Peace...

always better to party in a dark space..then a place thats modeled after a hospital..=)

who's doing the sound?? got a friend who can do some work...

another idea is to possibly have a small part of the club cordoned off from the main spot..to do weekly parties...ahem..cough..homegrown...

please dont have 11 dollar drinks in plastic cups.....=)

also...a nice experimental night would be sweet...not a weekend..but some other night...been looking for weeks..and i cant seem to find a space to do it...

dam bottle poppers....

-z

ok,

Big dance floor, Boxes and platforms, to stand up on, Lights all around, you, Sound coming from Everywhere!! and people just fucking WERKING IT!!

nitty gritty Deap Dark, dirty NEW YORK dance club!!!!! LOL....

Now thats what i'm talking about, wouldn't pretend to know much about the commerical aspect of clubbbing but i think u should stick with your first instincts and fuck the bottle service.

Theres enough places in the city to cater for that crowd

Dami,

thanks! your a fresh breath of air! LoL

the money issue is not a problem, its just people who are now caught up in it, who want me to open up like BANG" here it is........book this big name n that big name, n boom boom boom

lines around corner, and Bla bla bla......i dont want that?

yea i want GREAT talent, but i dotn want to be another Twilo...lol

or VINYL....and the people who are "helping me" with decor, soun, light's profit's, The City, Building shit, all that Fun fun shit, no one ever mentioned..LOL But i feel like the people involved in the space, want me to Turn it into some Shocking Freak Show, with a bottle crowd..Cause the inside, is abnormal.. it could be a Straight up GOTH club....its VERY Gotham Dark, industrail.....

it almost dosent go with the House Music, feel i want it to go....

cause the place is so Fucking creepy....LoL

but i LOVE THAT!!!

i just hate people

you need a place where you get good talent and people come to dance. sort of like arc w/ a liquor license. oh wait....that place's called shelter ;)

seriously, it'd be nice to have a space w/ the old limelight sorta vibe where its just a bunch of freaks getting down to whatever....house, techno, industrial....i'll take drag queens running around anyday over obnoxious k'ed out lame ass guidos or the stuck up bottle service crowd.

hahaha

Drone!!!

Thats what i wanna here!!

can u open a club that is built to look like a Damm Cave inside?

LOL

Does NY wanna run around with Great Dj's, and a crowd that has Trannies working the door, and the whole place is set on Color, Vibe n House?

Can this work?

can NY be FUN Again....is there a market who would wanna chill to say..... Deap Dish....with Freaks, n Artist, creating a vibe inside, and shocking people, to Talk.....i want this place to be spooky, i want people to be intimitated to walk inside of it..

do u know what i mean? (can u remember the first time u walked into limelight....or USA.....or TUNNEL!

i want people to be scared..lol

u think u can still do it...?

is ny to dried up?

cause i hope this dosent FAIL...LOL

oly>>

take a trip to six flags sometime. You can amke a big open room look like anything. A cave looking place could def be easily done w/ fiberglass molding. Cut holes for sprinkler and lighting pipes and boom. Could always spray the shit w/ some sort of acoustical stuff as well.

yea, I know this sound guy too, but he'd prolly (hopefully) be servicing techno clubs in germany when the potential club would be opened. However, I don't think he'd be opposed to flying back once in a while.

hey jaysea...

we need a fun place like that again in NY...go for it, and do what u have to do to make it work!

there really is no place around anymore with the classic vibe:(

I personally wouldn't mind going to a place where say, if I wanted to take a break from dancing (from the very visible, real dancefloor and not some makeshift space) and want to sit for a second, I could sit without being harrased into having to pay for drinks or a freaking bottle.

THAT POLICY BLOWS>>>>

im not booking deap Dish.....lol

it was just a name to throw out...

friday's will basicly be MY night....and i wanna pull in the likes of HOUSE music, wheater it be Disco,Funk,Hard,Tribal,Dark....its gonna be house, everything else is gonna just fit in,

Zenwarp is all over me.....LOL

"It's not a goth club....its just SCAREY"

That will be printed on every FLYER.......

Jaysea,

Early last year I was seriously considering opening up a club. Did the research, spoke to people, thoight up a strawman business plan. It's defintely hard being able to balance your vision, of what you want, and being able to financially support it at first and able to sustain its operation while netting a profit in the future.

Bottle service is a huge way to make money at clubs (I mean people are paying $200 + for a $30 or less bottle of liquor), however it is not the end all that will sustain the money flow, bring people in, and make it a hot club. Uniqueness, the vibe, DJs, and keeping it somehow hot will make sure the club is able to survive.

I think you can have a mix of a dark hardcore dance club with the VIP room having bottle service. Tunnel, Limelight were awesome clubs, but remember Peter Gaiten made money in those clubs by 'other' ways besides cover at the door or liquor...

Along the lines of what Dami said, make sure that your good with the community board and will be able to get the appropiate liquor and cabarent licenses, cause that will be the end all to your club surviving. Also having enough capital to survive for the first year will be important.

Good luck.

peace

the cave space idea,......is allready done....lol

im maybe 2 months from the doors opening.....all fiber glass, and burnt medal

There was a club in Clearwater for a while that did that....had stalactites and stalagmites coming everywhere, and the walls were asymmetrical and bumpy and faux rock, with UV paint splattered all over everything. Was a fun decor, but that place still failed pretty miserably because of its location...

Personally, I'd like to (still) see someplace with a real dancefloor that's willing to play some nichy genres once in a while. Even if it's on a weekday and half-staffed, it would be really nice to hear breaks or ghetto tech or bhangra or whatever other hodgepodge of styles and actually be able to dance to it. A few years back Fun was like that....I miss that place actually being good....