Clubplanet Nightlife Community

WTF happened to the music industry?!?!?

When you have people like that ugly little troll Kelly Osbourne who have absolutely no talent whatsoever with hit singles played all over MTV, there is definitely something wrong.

There was a time when hip hop wasn't all about the bling bling, and artists didn't didn't make it solely based upon their looks and their name.

Now we have an industry where MTV dictates what makes money and what doesn't. It doesn't matter whether your music is quality, it matters whether the fucking shmucks at MTV declare it "buzz worthy". There are like a handful of artists who make more money than they could ever spend and 90% of their music is pure shit. On the other hand, there are like thousands more artists with more talent and they can't even pay their rent.

Then we have the electronic music industry. It is similar in that there are only a handful making top dollar, however, I would say that many of the top DJs and producers who make it really do have a lot of talent. People like Digweed and Tenaglia don't get paid what they do for nothing. But there is no middle ground for some reason. Either you make nothing, or you are one in a million making real money.

So tell me, what the fuck happened?? Why does most music suck donkey dick these days?

for now, DT and Diggers and PVD worked hard and have talent to make it big....but once MTV gets their hands on it, we'll see who the huge names are.....

that might be scary......

I better mold myself with the pop look so I can market myself to VH1 in a few years as the next big thing......

some of these new artists are talented but many aren't, I totally agree....and it sucks because its easier to lump them all together and say they suck....who has the time or patience to distinguish between them all?

for now, DJ's are chosen by the end users (clubbers) so its more legit.....but once MTV gets a hold, they'll choose which DJ's the end-users (the masses) will like, and market the hell out of them....

Originally posted by roha3000

When you have people like that ugly little troll Kelly Osbourne who have absolutely no talent whatsoever with hit singles played all over MTV, there is definitely something wrong.

There was a time when hip hop wasn't all about the bling bling, and artists didn't didn't make it solely based upon their looks and their name.

Now we have an industry where MTV dictates what makes money and what doesn't. It doesn't matter whether your music is quality, it matters whether the fucking shmucks at MTV declare it "buzz worthy". There are like a handful of artists who make more money than they could ever spend and 90% of their music is pure shit. On the other hand, there are like thousands more artists with more talent and they can't even pay their rent.

Then we have the electronic music industry. It is similar in that there are only a handful making top dollar, however, I would say that many of the top DJs and producers who make it really do have a lot of talent. People like Digweed and Tenaglia don't get paid what they do for nothing. But there is no middle ground for some reason. Either you make nothing, or you are one in a million making real money.

So tell me, what the fuck happened?? Why does most music suck donkey dick these days?

without trivalizing your concerns, I believe what is happening has always been happening. It's when the artist doesn't have full control that things get weird. And in big business, its NOT the artist who gets things moving. We may bark at a Brittany Spears, but reagardless of her talent, it's the "teams" of people who made her a "sensation"

In the past there used to be what people refer to as "music people" running the business part of the music biz (as well as the creative part)...ppl who gave a shit about music and felt it in their soul and respected it.

Nowadays, there are few "music people" left running the business aspects of it, merely guys who don't give a fuck about music at all (it's strictly business for them), which makes it way more money driven (if that's possible) and it's all about making the most profit u can and not losing anything.

Therefore they can't really take any risks and they have to sign and promote ppl they KNOW will sell. Even if it is only for 15 minutes.

One millionth of the portion of why the music business and the music itself has gone down the drain in recent years.

Originally posted by apotheosis

without trivalizing your concerns, I believe what is happening has always been happening. It's when the artist doesn't have full control that things get weird. And in big business, its NOT the artist who gets things moving. We may bark at a Brittany Spears, but reagardless of her talent, it's the "teams" of people who made her a "sensation"

very true. and of course there is still hope -- we have all the indie labels and some new groups making their way by making very good music. not that you can hear them on mtv, but who cares? i never believed in educating the audience. let them listen to 'gangsta' rap or happy hardcore or dance-hits and believe they are fabulous. there'll still be some music by portishead, bjork (and she's famous and on mtv), dj tiga, miss kittin, ladytron etc for ppl who like to be trendy.

;)

the music industry sux because its simply that - an industry. take advantage of economies of scale by mass production. treat the customer like a demographic, and you'll sell the most with the least amount of effort. buy yourself big hits by paying so-called independent marketers (i've posted about this many times before).

the real reason why the music industry sucks now more then ever is that they have been so slow to adapt to the way we listen to music now. back in the day people would buy and album and study the cover and cherish the moment of listening to it. CDs are so small that their artwork just sucks. they are expensive and only have one or two songs worth listening to.

The napster generation got something much worse for the record labels and radio stations then the idea of getting music for free - it is the notion that PEOPLE HAVE NO RIGHT TO TELL YOU WHAT TO LISTEN TO. The radio is absolute trash - who are they to tell me what i should listen to? they play the same crap over and over again because RADIO IS AN ADVERTISEMENT. Its a jingle played over and over again to get the song stuck in your head so you'll go out and buy it. And we don't play that game anymore becuse our music is meant to be experienced in the moment, or as the background of our lives. it is not a commodity anybody is willing to pay one hour's salary for two crappy songs that will be stale in a week anyway. Our music evolves, it is personal, it fits our mood.

Sure we still want some kind of medium, not just downloading from thin air and recorded as magnetic patterns on iron oxide, we want to own something, we want to support our favorite artists. but now that we know that music can be free of the regieme it once stood under we won't take the same birdseed they feed us because we want steak... or thai, or techno.

until the record industry focuses on the customer and not the bottom line, they will never produce more then a random few good albums... and the rest is just music for the huddled masses who don't know any better. Its time to get with the times and stop clinging to the old ideals. There is so much money to be made in filesharing it is rediculous... and nobody in mainstream media has the guts to pull it off because it means losing control of the little plastic discs.

peaz,

rob

Originally posted by mangos

What I hate more than how the music industry has lowered its standards these days is how I always have to hear some old head bitch about "the good old days." Give it a rest...

What the fuck are you talking about?? . . . Oh, thats right, wrong demographic . .

---

Well Ron, its kind of like deelite said, they HAVE to put stuff out nowadays that they know will sell because music is a commodity, not a form of artistic expression. . . The costs on the back end, with promotions, advertising and the like are so friggin high that you gotta know that you'll make money . . . The only way to do that is with a tried and true formula, hence bubble-gum and bling bling proliferation of pop today . . .

Originally posted by phuturephunk

Well Ron, its kind of like deelite said, they HAVE to put stuff out nowadays that they know will sell because music is a commodity, not a form of artistic expression. . . The costs on the back end, with promotions, advertising and the like are so friggin high that you gotta know that you'll make money . . . The only way to do that is with a tried and true formula, hence bubble-gum and bling bling proliferation of pop today . . .

yes its true - the labels have to put out the bubble gum and bling bling because only one in every 8 albums produced recoup the cost of production, legal and marketing costs. assuming (incorrectly) that each album costs the same to produce, the one album has to earn > 8x what it originally cost.

The trouble is that there is ZERO attention paid to the other 7 albums... they aren't even given a chance to swim with the fishes, and just go by unnoticed by the uneducated, uncultured bubble-gummers.

The teen market is so crazy - because they used to be the side gimmick, but now they have money and lots of it and they're eager to spend it on music...

Guest saleen351

watching mtv is like watching Lifetime, the channel for women...

I haven't watched mtv in years.. I don't even know what channel it is anymore..

Originally posted by dialectics

the music industry sux because its simply that - an industry. take advantage of economies of scale by mass production. treat the customer like a demographic, and you'll sell the most with the least amount of effort. buy yourself big hits by paying so-called independent marketers (i've posted about this many times before).

the real reason why the music industry sucks now more then ever is that they have been so slow to adapt to the way we listen to music now. back in the day people would buy and album and study the cover and cherish the moment of listening to it. CDs are so small that their artwork just sucks. they are expensive and only have one or two songs worth listening to.

The napster generation got something much worse for the record labels and radio stations then the idea of getting music for free - it is the notion that PEOPLE HAVE NO RIGHT TO TELL YOU WHAT TO LISTEN TO. The radio is absolute trash - who are they to tell me what i should listen to? they play the same crap over and over again because RADIO IS AN ADVERTISEMENT. Its a jingle played over and over again to get the song stuck in your head so you'll go out and buy it. And we don't play that game anymore becuse our music is meant to be experienced in the moment, or as the background of our lives. it is not a commodity anybody is willing to pay one hour's salary for two crappy songs that will be stale in a week anyway. Our music evolves, it is personal, it fits our mood.

Sure we still want some kind of medium, not just downloading from thin air and recorded as magnetic patterns on iron oxide, we want to own something, we want to support our favorite artists. but now that we know that music can be free of the regieme it once stood under we won't take the same birdseed they feed us because we want steak... or thai, or techno.

until the record industry focuses on the customer and not the bottom line, they will never produce more then a random few good albums... and the rest is just music for the huddled masses who don't know any better. Its time to get with the times and stop clinging to the old ideals. There is so much money to be made in filesharing it is rediculous... and nobody in mainstream media has the guts to pull it off because it means losing control of the little plastic discs.

peaz,

rob

Gonna have to agree with u there...industry needs to start working with the file sharing not against it, it's a futile effort. People are used to getting music now a certain way and instantaneously. U think little kids growing up today EVER buy cd's? Do they even know what a record store is? My guess is prob. not. Industry, if they want to make money (which of course they do), needs to capitlize on that (file sharing) in order to save the sinking ship so to speak.

I know no one here would want to pay for soulseek or winmx or whatever (especially not after getting if for free all this time), but this would possibly be a way for both industry and costumer to be satisfied on some level.