Clubplanet Nightlife Community

who was THEE best Freestyle diva ever?

quoth

Without a doubt

India

I saw her at the original 54 before they closed for a Hot 97 party that featured over 12 acts. I think that was the first time I heard Doom Da Da in a club. House was just kicking in and I was like - holy fuck, this is the shiznits....

...just out of curiosity, how many artists did you guys get to see?...arent you both in your early 20s?...

...this post will not do well considering too many people on this board hate freestyle...but i give quoth props for trying something different...

...judy torres would be my second choice...i was actually there for her new record release party a few years ago....even in the ktu studios when she had just guest spots on sunday nights...funny shit... the girl can sing and put on a show....

BUT

...if you saw India you'd know where I was coming from...her voice is just sick...especially live....and she's still all over the latin market - she is like the salsa queen...

...btw...lil suzi was horrible live...the only good thing that came out of that was my boy hooking up with her back stage and getting her necklace as a momento...

India has the best voice of them all (remember "Mirage" and "Dancing on the Fire"?)

Cynthia and MicMac records were the shizzy back in the day...damn i got so many of those yellow and red records sleeves:laugh:

off the top of my head...my diva faves include:

Judy "Chunky But Funky" Torres - love you will you love me

Cynthia - tie...change on me / thief of heart

Nyasia - Now and Forever

Chrissy I-eece - you should know by now

Rios Sisters - I don't want you back

Fascination - Don't You Think It's Time

Cheree - Got Me Loving You

Tiana - First True Love

Yolanda Milla - When The Pieces Fall

MKG - Tear Shed

Yvonne - I Can't Face the Fact

Tiana - First True Love

Vienna - I should Have Known

Lisette Melendez - A Day in My Life

Corina - tie...Give Me Back my Heart/Loving You Like Crazy

Cover Girls - tie...Don't Stop Now/Show Me

Sweet Sensation - Never Let You Go

Safire - tie...Love is on Her Mind/Boy I've Been Told

Pajama Party - Yo No Se

Maribell - tie...Roses Are Red/Don't Make Me Promises

Eileen Flores - Touch Me With Your Heart

April - Someone to Hold

Jaidie - Answer My Cry

Bettina - Destiny

Angela Rene - Tears of a Broken Heart

Giggles - What Goes Around Comes Around

Originally posted by phatman

...just out of curiosity, how many artists did you guys get to see?...arent you both in your early 20s?...

...this post will not do well considering too many people on this board hate freestyle...but i give quoth props for trying something different...

Man FUCK everyone and their lack of interest and hate i could totally careless ..i post shit that i want...people wouldn't understand anyhow what they have already missed.

btw im 21 d is 16 :tongue:

But in all seriousness

I grew up to freestyle...LITERALLY.....now D says Lil Suzy prolly cause her hit song in 1992 was when she was 1st discovering freestyle...but me...

i remember being introduced to freestyle by my now, 28 yr old sister..she would always tape me shit by cynthia...tka.....george lamond...stevieb.....judt torress...i mean to this DAY i have these oldddddddddddddddd ass tapes from when i was like 8-10 yrs old listening to this shit.

What people neglect to realize is that both freestyle and classic house though 2 different generes...are actually the essentials of what THEN AT THE TIME was considered mainstream electronic dance music...and boy have we evolved.

Fascination was a goddess - her real name was Elsie - from jersey city - used to hussle with her over at joey's on sunday nights - years and years ago - she did some work for a friend on rough track and i think it got picked up by strictly - not sure - but again, her voice live was unbelievable as well...

Originally posted by brooklynkid

India has the best voice of them all (remember "Mirage" and "Dancing on the Fire"?)

Cynthia and MicMac records were the shizzy back in the day...damn i got so many of those yellow and red records sleeves:laugh:

Nyasia - Now and Forever

Tiana - First True Love

MKG - Tear Shed

Tiana - First True Love

Pajama Party - Yo No Se

April - Someone to Hold

Jaidie - Answer My Cry

Bettina - Destiny

Now this is a LIST. I am 32 and grew up on freestyle. Debbie Deb "When I Hear Music" was my introduction to all this back in 85. Started going to clubs in 86 and freestlye was all they played. I remember going to Emerald City which was on 54th st. I saw 15 freestlye acts . TPE, Sovae, Coro, April, Two Without Hats and so on and on very good night. I still listen to freestyle today, ktu at lunch time.

Did you ever notice that all freestyle songs are guys bithin about girls?

Did anyone ever hear of Sheri C " I'm the one for you", she was from Nutley NJ.

Quoth are you interested in trading old tapes? I have over 100 freestlye and old house tapes

I think back in the day, lisa lisa and the cult jam were huge..she was on a lot of tv shows but from freestye superstar statis she's now a regular track act...I don't know if they fit into this category but expose was huge also.

Nyasia - Now and Forever

Tiana - First True Love

MKG - Tear Shed

Tiana - First True Love

Pajama Party - Yo No Se

April - Someone to Hold

Jaidie - Answer My Cry

Bettina - Destiny

Cynthis and Cover Girls are my first pics...

BTW.... I just moved to Queens a month ago, and @ my new gym they rock freestyle mixes every night around 8ish...I can't help but to like freestyle. It's feelgood music, and sort of set the stage for the scene back in the day.

Can you guys imagine walking into clubs with FREESTYLE blarring on a Phazon??? :eek: That must've been some shit...

Originally posted by marcid21

him and Coro!

...they were both midgets, no wonder you liked 'em...;):tongue:

...actually george could sing his ass off...coro couldnt buy a note....same with johnie o - but fantasy girl was my theme song for like an entire summer...

and who can forget stevie b with spring love

NO DOUBT, CYNTHIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i saw her twice in the last few years.

and yes, george lamond is a freakin midget, he was singing drunk when i saw him.

theres a freestyle thing being thrown by ktu in a few weeks at... (forgive me for saying this name...) exit.

but hey, given the trend, i guess theres really no better place to have it right?

=)

p.s. - to redeem myself from any comments above i just want to note that im going to arc this friday.

I would definitely have to agree with Kingman18.

Cynthia definitely is the freestyle diva.

Not saying Judy Torres isn't good also, but there was just more hype to her recently on KTU and stuff, which made her seem bigger than she really was.

They are both my fav's but I still think Cynthia is better...

also plus the fact that i was yanked onto stage by her at a performance i saw her at.

:D

oh and p.s. to brooklyn kid...not saying you don't love freestyle either, as I can see from your list, but just to let you know, the red and yellow micmac sleeve is not the original. Either is the pinkish label on the record. haha... :tongue:

Originally posted by djcarl

oh and p.s. to brooklyn kid...not saying you don't love freestyle either, as I can see from your list, but just to let you know, the red and yellow micmac sleeve is not the original. Either is the pinkish label on the record. haha... :tongue:

For the record (no pun intended), I don't love freestyle, at least not in the way I did back in the day. I enjoy it every now and then just to reminisce, and it's definitely not what I spin regularly.

That said, I do have old MicMac records, the ones with the white label and red logo. I think I even have the first MicMac release (is it "You Make Me Feel" by Shattered Glass)?

Now there's only a select few people in the entire world who know about this, but I figured while we're on the topic I might as well come clean. A few years ago me and a friend of mine used to run this site called WKTU.com (no affiliation with the radio station:tongue: ). I have about 50 archived freestyle mixes that are still live which you can access at http://wktu.com/archive.html

Feel free to peruse and tell me what you think. I'll post my top guys' tracks later on...

Now there's only a select few people in the entire world who know about this...

...ahaha...be proud of that brother man...i knew because djqwest and i had DMN going at the same time....i have to agree about the reminiscing part...i love freestyle because it takes me back to an era that i will never forget....but as far as what i want to hear in a club...it wouldnt be freestyle...

Originally posted by phatman

...ahaha...be proud of that brother man...i knew because djqwest and i had DMN going at the same time....i have to agree about the reminiscing part...i love freestyle because it takes me back to an era that i will never forget....but as far as what i want to hear in a club...it wouldnt be freestyle...

I just found out recently that Qwest was one of the people who I used to talk to back then. I think he was even one of the listeners of the live show. This was also another site...I think it was called PhatBeats are something like that.

But as for hearing FS in a club. No thanks. It's too slow and frankly, too cheesy. I can remember being in high school back in like '91 and people had Regals and Monte Carlos and you'd hear the loud systems bangin the FS beats. It IS good for playing in your car and singing (and if you're lucky you had a GF who can sing right next to you), since undoubtedly the lyrics are engrained in everyone's heads...:laugh:

I just found out recently that Qwest was one of the people who I used to talk to back then. I think he was even one of the listeners of the live show. This was also another site...I think it was called PhatBeats are something like that.

It was Dance Music Network - DMN - and I was Niko - I saw you at Pseudo last year and talked to you about this...

But as for hearing FS in a club. No thanks. It's too slow and frankly, too cheesy. I can remember being in high school back in like '91 and people had Regals and Monte Carlos and you'd hear the loud systems bangin the FS beats. It IS good for playing in your car and singing (and if you're lucky you had a GF who can sing right next to you), since undoubtedly the lyrics are engrained in everyone's heads...:laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

...I had a regal and a monte carlo...I actually have a 2003 monte carlo now with the nascar kit but the general bass coming out of that is DT, Hawtin, Mills, etc...or something from Metromixradio (shameless plug)...

[

Now there's only a select few people in the entire world who know about this, but I figured while we're on the topic I might as well come clean. A few years ago me and a friend of mine used to run this site called WKTU.com (no affiliation with the radio station:tongue: ). I have about 50 archived freestyle mixes that are still live which you can access at http://wktu.com/archive.html

Feel free to peruse and tell me what you think. I'll post my top guys' tracks later on...

I love this Ktu site, Thanks :aright:, Is there away to DL some of these?

WOW!!! Where do I begin????

The top 2 would have to be

1. Corina - b/c of "Out Of Control"

2. Sa-Fire - b/c of "Let Me Be The One" and "Don't Break My Heart"

Those are the OLD SCHOOL artists that made a big impact of Freestyle music...Of course you gotta give credit to the other DIVAS like:

Judy Torres, Cynthia, April, Deniz, Cheree, Lisette Melendez, Vienna, Giggles, Laura Enea, maribell, and all the rest that Marcid21 mentioned cuz those are the CLASSICS.

Yes Lil Suzy is a Freestyle artist and gorgeous BUT she does not qualify as a FREESTYLE DIVA yet!!

CHANT ALONG WITH ME...AT THE COUNT OF THREE EVERYBODY CHANT ALONG WITH ME, READY....1,2,3 GO..OHH.WOHOHAOH......OH I'VE BEEN MISSING YOU.:clap2: