Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What makes you a dj?

It seems like every week I notice another new "dj" on the board. Just because you dj'd a prom or your cousin's sweet 16 doesnt make you a dj. I've heard some people who claim to be a "dj" but their mixing skills go together as well as oil and water. My question to all you "djs" is, what makes you a "dj?"

Thats a tough questionespecially right now. I mean spinning a prom or something i dont think is all that bad. Ojeda started out working spinning weddings and proms.

I think anyone can be a DJ. A good Dj is knowing the music, setting the vbee, good creativity and definatly skills with the equipments. I dont think where you spin or have done so determines how good of a DJ someone is. Im sure someone who might be thge best DJ in the world mightr be spinning in his room and cant get the right break.

a dj is someone who plays for people, for a crowd...whether it be a house party, nightclub, bar, wedding, or even a sweet 16 party, a DJ is someone who performs by playing music and making people dance.

A dj is also someone who "mixes" music and records cds by playing live. "mixing" one track (whether it be record, cd, or even mp3) into another, and another and so forth

a DJ is NOT:

- someone who creates an alias on a message board and calls him/herself DJ

- someone who uses a computer to record mixes by cutting and pasting music

- someone who is on an mp3 mailing list and collects music (but doesnt perform)

the argument that if you spin mainly cds you arent really a dj doesnt hold water because plenty of dj's who spin all vinyl suck and plenty of famous mainroom dj's spin plenty of cds.....now if you only spin cds and you dont know a vinyl from a hole in the wall than you definitely arent on the same level as a dj who can utilize both formats equally....

BG

Originally posted by ibclubbin

a DJ is NOT:

BG

I am not hating on anyone in particular, but BG said it best.

Originally posted by ibclubbin

a DJ is NOT:

BG

i dont know now many times ive had that same conversation with ppl

IBCLUBBIN is totaly right and especially about the cut/paste and MP3 part-

IMO

thats just afukin INSULT - anyone who does that should be BOOTED out the club and slander brought to his name

GOOD WORDS IBCLUBBIN!!!!!___insert the THUMBS UP GIF HERE____

and XRAPTUREX you can always come with me down to NIVA again and ill show you how to put it down:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :blown: GOOD morning sweety

Back in the Day I wouldn't even think of DJing a prom...

Now-a-days I do it just to bang all the hot 18 year olds!

What makes you a DJ now-a-days???

Knowing the names of a lot of good songs, having a cd burner and a mixing program on your computer. (sad isn't it)

Usually " I'm a DJ" comes from a drunk guy at a club talking shit to a girl, so he can hook up

Originally posted by liqidtouch

i dont know now many times ive had that same conversation with ppl

IBCLUBBIN is totaly right and especially about the cut/paste and MP3 part-

IMO

thats just afukin INSULT - anyone who does that should be BOOTED out the club and slander brought to his name

GOOD WORDS IBCLUBBIN!!!!!___insert the THUMBS UP GIF HERE____

and XRAPTUREX you can always come with me down to NIVA again and ill show you how to put it down:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :blown: GOOD morning sweety

Good Morning!

Guest hotshit
Originally posted by njdionysus

It seems like every week I notice another new "dj" on the board. Just because you dj'd a prom or your cousin's sweet 16 doesnt make you a dj. I've heard some people who claim to be a "dj" but their mixing skills go together as well as oil and water. My question to all you "djs" is, what makes you a "dj?"

You do parties, have equipment, hence your a DJ. Just because you don't do major clubs doesn't mean your not a Dj. Who are you to tell someone they are not a DJ. This board is full of haters, oh my god. What kind of question is that??? So an actor is only an actor if he has done major motion pictures not small commercials. Some people, probably on this board can mix their ass off but don't get the recognition, they're not blown up like the rest. If they dedicate themselves and keep moving they will slowly rise in the circuit. You think Denny Tsettos started off at Temps, Abyss whatever. Tiesto just started doing major clubs his first week spinning.Come on man.

Originally posted by hotshit

You do parties, have equipment, hence your a DJ. Just because you don't do major clubs doesn't mean your not a Dj. Who are you to tell someone they are not a DJ. This board is full of haters, oh my god. What kind of question is that??? So an actor is only an actor if he has done major motion pictures not small commercials. Some people, probably on this board can mix their ass off but don't get the recognition, they're not blown up like the rest. If they dedicate themselves and keep moving they will slowly rise in the circuit. You think Denny Tsettos started off at Temps, Abyss whatever. Tiesto just started doing major clubs his first week spinning.Come on man.

ok ok hold on

i think your missed something that NJDION posted

hes NOT hating on anyone

hes just implyinga question--

i mean i do understand the validity to it-

and ialso feel its right to ASK what makes them call them selvs Djs

but hes not saying that they have to pass certain criteria to do so...

this is only a question-

NJ am i right? or did i miss something?

Guest hotshit
Originally posted by liqidtouch

ok ok hold on

i think your missed something that NJDION posted

hes NOT hating on anyone

hes just implyinga question--

i mean i do understand the validity to it-

and ialso feel its right to ASK what makes them call them selvs Djs

but hes not saying that they have to pass certain criteria to do so...

this is only a question-

NJ am i right? or did i miss something?

I mean don't you spin liquid. Isn't it annoying when people who have no understanding of DJ or probably house music just come out and question who is and who's not a DJ. (Im not talking about you, the guy who posted this) NO Drama intended. But everyone starts somewhere, and people come out with this attitude like they know everything. Its a different business, you got to have Dj skills, communication skills etc. A lot of mixing is using the computers, MP3's are new technology compared to 12". Whatever Im not going to get into this.

i just take it as a missunderstanding that some ppl have reached-

some ppl get it

and others dont-

but that doesmt mean to me that they are bashing or hating at all( those words are alttiel harsh for what i was really thinking)

i understand your point HOTSHIT-

totaly

many times i got the hate and all

but just like the words on this screen

when i click after a min-

they are gone-

brushed away to a place that i dont need to worry aboyt anymore.....point well taken

NJDION... i understand the question

my mom askes me the same thing LOL:blown:

Originally posted by njdionysus

A FOLLOWING MAKES A DJ

Originally posted by stardo

why are you hating on the little peeps starting off.

I think everyone starts up doing small things. Im not talking back just saying:D kissies handsome:)

Way too much hatin on this post for me to even respond.

wait, I am responding.

i used to dj, but simply couldn't afford to buy new vinyl every week. now that i've become a ful-fledged mp3 whore again, i think i'll be getting back into things very soon.

as for the question at hand...

obviously there are different skill sets you can gain in being a dj, but i'd say the root of a dj is someone that can show up to an event, match beats and put a smile on someone's face as they make a fool of themself on the dance floor.

Originally posted by doubleplay1970

Thats a tough questionespecially right now. I mean spinning a prom or something i dont think is all that bad. Ojeda started out working spinning weddings and proms.

I think anyone can be a DJ. A good Dj is knowing the music, setting the vbee, good creativity and definatly skills with the equipments. I dont think where you spin or have done so determines how good of a DJ someone is. Im sure someone who might be thge best DJ in the world mightr be spinning in his room and cant get the right break.

that has gotta be the smartest thing anyone has said about a dj on this board yet......

one of my closest friends is a DJ, he used to spin in the city years ago, then opened his own club, got tired of all the bullshit so stopped, at that point he had some what a name for himself, now you mention his name no one knows and cause of that he cant get a real break.

He loves music...the one thing that makes him happy is see people enjoy his music.......its not about fame you get as a DJ, its about skills and the vibe and the love of it. if you are in for the wrong reasons you wont get very far.

Originally posted by deeelite1

Way too much hatin on this post for me to even respond.

wait, I am responding.

What can I say, I'm in a hateful mood today. And I love to get you people all angry, it brings out the best in youz.

I should have reworded the post, obviously anyone who djs a wedding, sweet 16 or whatever is a "dj" and they probably get paid more than most djs that are trying to make it by spinning house or hiphop at a club. This is a fact, a friend of mine from Boston use to do dj here and there but he never made even close to the money he made spinning weddings or whatever.

I know Tiesto didnt start in a stadium and Denny didnt start at Tempts, etc etc etc etc fucking etc.

I just like to cause trouble on Wednesdays.

I am giving up being nice for lent.