Clubplanet Nightlife Community

panic/anxiety attacks

mssabina

i get them alot also, when im stressed out i get them all the time the best thing i can tell you to do is when u get them just try to calm down, take deep breaths, put cold water on your face and neck and just try to remain calm until it passes if that doesnt work look into taking some zanies or something.

feel better

Panic attack sufferer here. I've had them for years. The first time I had one I went to the ER. I had no idea what was happening to me. The doctors really didn't help me out. I think they told me to just cut out caffeine or something. I used to get them bad, but I learned how to control them. However, this past week I had alot of them. I'm thinking about going on medication. I just don't want to be taking medication everyday. But I guess it is better than fearing when the next attack will come on. So, mssabina,

I suppose my advice to you is to visit your doc to see which treatment options are available to you.

be careful with prescriptions/medications...try and do whatever you can before having to rely on some type of drug. i hate the idea of having to take medicine to be "myself"...it just seems wrong. I understand that some people really NEED it, but try every possible to get over it yourself :)

Originally posted by mssabina

anyone here get them? what do you do for them? perscription meds? i've been getting them a lot lately and i don't know what to do :(

My Ex used to suffer from them. What do you get them from. Anything in peticular?

I am against the meds. Alot of people get addicted to them. It is always good to have someone around to talk to when it happens that makes you feel comfortable. This is always a big help. I delt with alot of her attacks. She used to get hers when she ate. She was actually affraid to eat... Anyway I know you don't know me but if you ever need someone to talk to I will give you my cell #. Just drop me a PM. ;)

Originally posted by mala

Panic attack sufferer here. I've had them for years. The first time I had one I went to the ER. I had no idea what was happening to me. The doctors really didn't help me out. I think they told me to just cut out caffeine or something.

Thats probably what they told you to do, they told me the same thing, which of course had nothing to do with it:rolleyes:

I used to get them a lot, I learned how to control most of them...I started to get them in h.s. and it was horrible bc I would be sitting in class and it would pop up out of no where, i would try to control it, but when it wouldnt work, i would be rushed to the nurses office, turning purple and gasping for breath feeling like i was going to die...after that stopped i would either black out or get extremely dizzy and worn out followed by vomiting, and have to stay there for awhile or go home..they used to last a long time too...not fun at all

However, I learned how to control most of them, and my close friends know what to do when it happens...bring me water, stay next to me in case I fall bc I get dizzy (I blacked out one time and cracked my head on a wall) etc

Im totally against the meds. I think they do more harm then good They're possible to control without them, you just need the patience to learn how to do it and what would work for you...different things work for different people, so go see your doctor, tell him what your symptoms are and he'll give you tips on how to stop them, slow them down, and eventually make them less frequent:)

I would only get panic attacks when I had to make speeches in H.S. & College in front of my entire class... or even if I had to read something in class out loud....I HATE speaking in front of too many people.... and the ironic part is that Im a teacher (dance), and dont have any problems speaking to all my students in class...

I dunno....Its weird...

wow, thanks for all the helpful responses guys... i'm pretty sure what i get are panic/anxiety attacks, i've read up on them but i don't want to self diagnose so i'm def going to see my doctor about it (which i should have done a long time ago)

i've been getting them for a very long time, since i was about 14 but they've gotten more frequent the past 3-4 months... nothing seems to cause them, i don't think they're stress related... they come at the most random times, when i'm driving with my friends, sitting in class, by myself at home, when i'm trying to fall asleep... i get this terrible sense of fear, like something bad is going to happen and i get really tense and my body sort of locks up... it lasts for a while sometimes and after it's over i'm constantly paranoid about it happening again... it's actually pretty hard to explain the way i feel, i'm not sure this description does it

elementx- having someone to talk to really does help, my dad sat with me and talked to me during one the other day, making it a lot easier to deal with it... i feel bad asking my friends to help me tho b/c they don't really understand what's going on... my dad used to get them so he knows... he's not always around when it happens so it sucks :(

lynne, i'll message you the next time i see u on. thanks hun :)

Originally posted by glowgrlnyc

I would only get panic attacks when I had to make speeches in H.S. & College in front of my entire class... or even if I had to read something in class out loud....I HATE speaking in front of too many people.... and the ironic part is that Im a teacher (dance), and dont have any problems speaking to all my students in class...

I dunno....Its weird...

that happens to me too!! even tho i'm not shy, anytime i have to make presentations/speeches in front of a group or read aloud, i have a panic attack... although, i also get them at the most random times as well but it's the same kind of feeling...

wow, thanks for all the helpful responses guys... i'm pretty sure what i get are panic/anxiety attacks, i've read up on them but i don't want to self diagnose so i'm def going to see my doctor about it (which i should have done a long time ago)

i've been getting them for a very long time, since i was about 14 but they've gotten more frequent the past 3-4 months... nothing seems to cause them, i don't think they're stress related... they come at the most random times, when i'm driving with my friends, sitting in class, by myself at home, when i'm trying to fall asleep... i get this terrible sense of fear, like something bad is going to happen and i get really tense and my body sort of locks up... it lasts for a while sometimes and after it's over i'm constantly paranoid about it happening again... it's actually pretty hard to explain the way i feel, i'm not sure this description does it

elementx- having someone to talk to really does help, my dad sat with me and talked to me during one the other day, making it a lot easier to deal with it... i feel bad asking my friends to help me tho b/c they don't really understand what's going on... my dad used to get them so he knows... he's not always around when it happens so it sucks :(

lynne, i'll message you the next time i see u on. thanks hun :)

Yeah. I never experienced it myself. But like I said. for 2 of the 4 years I was with my Ex. I had to help her through alot of them. Finally they went away. I guess she either grew more confident and knew how to prevent them. Or they just go away with time. Or by opening yourself up to someone. She always liked to keep to herself and keep alot of her emotions inside which we believed was one of the causes... I happened to be one of the only people she would open up to. And I really think it helped. :D Like I said. If you ever want to talk just PM me. Sometimes talking to a total stranger you get more out then talking to someone you know for years. I wish you luck... Just be strong. They will go away with time. :isok::kiss2:

anyone here get them? what do you do for them? perscription meds? i've been getting them a lot lately and i don't know what to do :(

Go to the gym and work out until I'm completely fuckin exhausted. No energy for anxiety after that.

Originally posted by elementx

Yeah. I never experienced it myself. But like I said. for 2 of the 4 years I was with my Ex. I had to help her through alot of them. Finally they went away. I guess she either grew more confident and knew how to prevent them. Or they just go away with time. Or by opening yourself up to someone. She always liked to keep to herself and keep alot of her emotions inside which we believed was one of the causes... I happened to be one of the only people she would open up to. And I really think it helped. :D Like I said. If you ever want to talk just PM me. Sometimes talking to a total stranger you get more out then talking to someone you know for years. I wish you luck... Just be strong. They will go away with time. :isok::kiss2:

thank you sweetie, that means a lot especially since you can understand... i'm like your ex, i do keep a lot of things to myself and hate opening up, i didn't think that panic attacks could be related to that :(

just know that this happens to other people is reassuring and makes me feel a lot better

thank you sweetie, that means a lot especially since you can understand... i'm like your ex, i do keep a lot of things to myself and hate opening up, i didn't think that panic attacks could be related to that :(

just know that this happens to other people is reassuring and makes me feel a lot better

Anytime. I just hope I can be of some help...

Panic attacks can be related to many diff issues. My Ex also had a fear of eating. She always felt that while she was eating that she was going to choke. Or that her throat was closing up. It sounds crazy but anxiety can do some crazy things. But the best way to over come these attacks is to learn about them. And also know that everything that you are feeling at the time is basically mental. And not physically happening. And I know it is hard because it feels so physical. But when you can over come the mental aspect of it then you will be able to put it behind all together.

see if this helps any...

panic attack symptoms:

pounding heart

trembling

shortness of breath or feeling of smothering

fear of losing control or dying

sweating

feeling of choking

chest pain or discomfort

nausea or abdominal distress

feel dizzy, lightheaded, or faint

numbness or tingling sensations

chills or hot flashes

derealization (feelings of unreality)

depersonalization (feeling detatched from ur own self)

panic attacks can last from a few minutes to about half an hour

no warning

can occur during sleep.. anytime

intense, sudden episodes

I have anxiety too and that's the best thing I can tell you. Knowing that your not alone and crazy and that half or everyone has this is some what of a relieve. You just have to find whatever it is that will make you feel better, weather it be meds or..... For me, I will chew mint gum (it makes breathing feel easier), force myself to get busy like cleaning, or if my man is around he'll rub my back and that will calm me also.:screwy: