Clubplanet Nightlife Community

PVD @ RoXy Review

I've seen Tiesto 5 times so far. . .once in Israel in january 2000, twice at Glow in DC, once at Exit, once at Area Two in NJ . . .everytime, his style has been very melodic and always a musical journey of sorts. I have about 8 gigabytes, about a week of Tiesto in mp3s on my computer and about 10 cds.

His style has changed a bit, I'm not anywhere as big a fan as I used to be. Even with sets from month to month that I have, a lot of songs are the same but he always does a journey of some sorts, changes things up a lot. Yes, he only ever had a few intro songs, but whoopdedamndoo. . . He's still money. He knows the style that people expect of him, and I don't think he'd fuck it up by changing.

PvD knows that he's big enough, he can do what he wants. . . but that doesn't mean that I need to listen to him now. Just like when Metallica cut off their hair, they sucked then . . . can still appreciate the classics (And Justice for All, one of my 5 favorite albums), but I don't need to listen to their new shit. And damn right I don't have to go to their concerts, especially this tour with Limp Dick and Linkin Fart. If PvD wants to spin hard house, well then, he'll do it and people will still see him. Hey, people still want to see the Rolling Stones and Aerosmith, right?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a very nice night, though bored by the set / found some of it jarring. For instance, the breaks he dropped weren't so great / didn't work with each other at all - he usually does better. I thought his Miami set was the best of three recent (Roxy, MIami, Roxy), but as mentioned Arc on Monday was much better and Space Miami last year was absolute perfection by comparison.

BTW - why does everyone say the sound is so great? Sure, it doesn't hurt your ears but the sound is not consistent at all through the place - depending where you are it either lacks low, mid or high...

Was definitely one of his more disjointed sets - i'm all for different directions and sounds BUT i'm hoping that Paul figures out how to mix it into his trademark smooth style and flowing sets that got us all addicted in the first place.

Probably gonna take off the next time or two he's in town i'm thinking...

Yes, Tiesto has changed his style a lot. for instance Trance isnt what it used to be at all, its not Live at Innercity anymore its more harder then it was , there isnt really a choice the music that is produced these days is just harder.. But Tiesto def pulls in what the crowd wants to hear, that is why he was rated #1 DJ, for him knowing to hold the crowd by there balls.., I dont agree with all the tracks that he plays but he knows the deal.. Every DJ usually plays what they think the crowd wants to hear, I agree with the fact that PVD def does think he can play whatever he wants because he is PVD , but he def does play what people want. They are there to hear him and his style that is the whole point..

Whatever PVD did his job, maybe not to his full extent, but wahtever there is always room for the new guys :) .

I agree - the set was not all that (at the beginning that is). It took PVD a quick minute to warm up, but then eventually it was banging. And as for Luis Diaz, I thought his set had a lot in common w/ a Hunts Point hooker (it blew!)...when he opened up a month ago for PVD, he was banging, but this time I thought Diaz sucked...

Diaz' last hour was pretty good, but being that I was inside by 11ish, there was not too much I heard him play prior to that that really caught my attention...I kept looking @ my watch eagerly awaiting PVD's arrival...and w/ the no smoking rule being enforced earlier on, the time was really dragging until his set began...

why was the crowds energy teain at the seams before pvd came on.. i was creeninmy neck to see if that wa s him, but it wasnt.

his set was unorganized. mixed his old songs with dark hardbeats. think he as tryin to progress it, instead it was like goin up and down rollercoaster. his breakbest were so hard, my feet ended up in a pretzel.

i liked madonnas music, melowed out the crowd.

i enjoyed listenin to children, i feel you, and rapture. i like to hear new and old stuff.

i didnt like how everyone in there were all messed up on any/everything...

crowd was friendlier than usual. felt like there was too much drug appreciation... not enough PVD apreciation

too much dj worshipping... too many pple watchin him instead of dancing

saw a couple of good dancers... only a couple, that was it. :(

attn: does anyone know RICK, spiky haired guy with orange shirt that was goin crazy with his orange glowsticks.. if so, PM hitokiri or xvinylgurlx thnx

thanks.

Originally posted by cracked

Diaz' last hour was pretty good, but being that I was inside by 11ish, there was not too much I heard him play prior to that that really caught my attention...I kept looking @ my watch eagerly awaiting PVD's arrival...and w/ the no smoking rule being enforced earlier on, the time was really dragging until his set began...

HHAHHA, TEll me about it , i had to walk around looking for a spot to go smoke a cig. I lit one and OUT OF No where this dude is like PUT IT OUT NOW!!!, i was like ill let you get part 2,hahahha, He started laughing and said please put it out... It was just funny, the time was def dragging along, i got there around 12:00 and Luiz Diaz was ahhh, not my type of shit , but it got my head bobbing , thats all that really counts i guess LOL

I like that PVD is changing his style, I was bored and disappointed when he threw on Another Way.

It's the first time I've seen him play an extended set since Twilo, and I am happy that I went.

He should play at Arc for 2 nights in a row instead of one night anywhere else.

prolly cant get a liqour license..its not like they hand the shits out @ the flea market....it takes a lot of $...and a lot of lawyers to get one...

i really dont care..i think its better that theres no alcohol inside..it keeps a certain element out...but if u wana grab a drink..go to Antartica around the block...they have good cheap ass drinks

Originally posted by biatchzxz

Whats up with that, Does anyone know why they dont serve any sort of alcoholic beverages in therE?

the venue on 6 Hubert St. lost its liquor license twice in the span of a few years (about 10 years ago when the club was called AREA) due to underage drinking...you lose your liquor license twice in the city it usually equals suicide, but the current mgt is working its tail off to get it back.

Originally posted by ghhhhhost

prolly cant get a liqour license..its not like they hand the shits out @ the flea market....it takes a lot of $...and a lot of lawyers to get one...

i really dont care..i think its better that theres no alcohol inside..it keeps a certain element out...but if u wana grab a drink..go to Antartica around the block...they have good cheap ass drinks

well honestly I think it sucks big time when there is no alcohol ....as usual people try to get some stimulats....if they don't get one they turn to another...which might not be neceserally better......if you know what I mean

the first time I went to ARC I was totaly dissapointed as I had no idea about the no drinking policy....

just imagine....coming in straight from work hungry for some joy

<<<<< by the way.... on a PvD night........the black haired guy in jeans..........didn't wear a shirt almost the whole night.......... what a wonderful dancer you are......I watched you from a distance.... you loved the music.......WHO ARE YOU????:)

arc? no alcohol? doesn't that ring a bell to authorities? i don't know of any place where a large amount of pple would go to enjoy themselves without the company of alcohol. now you got this club that stays open til dawn and it's still packed. they must be doing something right.....

:eek: i was in total awe... pvd totally disappointed me friday....first of all, we all got there around 1 THERE WAS NO LINE WHATSOEVER (shocking YES) but then when we entered the club, it was packed, i guess people really took that early crap for reals , anyways, the beginning was great, he dropped some great stuff like Marco V - I Feel You (PvD Mix),Solid Sleep - Club Attack (PvD Mix),Paul van Dyk - Nothing But You (Cirrus Mix), haha can you believe that he dropped this Eminem - Nobody Listens to Techno (Deep Dish Mix).....but then towards the end wtf, boring dark break beats?????? nobody was dancing at all. we all left around 5:30...but i heard around 6 went back on dropping animacion, out there and back,and syanthesia :( :( o well , nothing can beat his set @ space :D

Originally posted by lillizzy

i expected a lot more trance...the highlight of my night was ACTUALLY children...im sick of this hard shit...bryan zentz - d clash, nobody listens to techno, planet funk - who said, DARK BEAT (what the fuck), bunch of breakbeats....trance wise: katoi - touch u, velvet morning, blackeight - the silence, nothing but u, i feel you, animacion, another way, massive (lovin it), let it rain, couple others...by far more hard shit than trance...i was really feelin luis diaz tho, i love him!

ps: theres this vocal he played this time and last time... " I KNOW you want meeeee"....some chick singin....anyone???

Paul van Dyk vs. Second Sun - Velvet Horn [Vandit Acetate]

pvd dropped 'Nobody Listens to Techno'??? no way...i didnt even recall that song!!! what time was this? i wish i heard it cuz i wanted to see how the crowd reacted. i know i wouldve been like, yeah booiiiiiiiiiiii!!!

nice shot with tiesto? where was this taken? at space?

does anyone know how much are tiesto tickets?

he had an off night. it's kind of disappointing to see so many people so down on pvd. i mean the guy delivers amazing sets pretty much every time you see him. i have been going to see him for 4+ years and this is only the 2nd time that I left without being thoroughly impressed with how much better it was than I expected (and my expectations are always pretty high).

the guy had an off night - he was testing out a different style. not my personal favorite but i'll still go to see him next time he's in town.

I loved the fact that he played alot of hard stuff along with his epic trance he did play alot of his anthems and the hard stuff goes over great live you cant just have 7 hours of epic trance the set was great roxy is a great club its allways easy to move around get a drink and you never wait long at the bathrooms yes the crowd was a mangled mess but i rather be around an xtc and k crowd the vibe was good nice mix of people and the bouncers were reasonable with smoking i smoked a pck and a half and was only asked twice to put out my cigarette great set great night